Rider Injury-advice

skint1

Visit site
I'm a bit embarrassed to put the nature of my injury in the title but it would appear that I have pulled a muscle in the top of my thigh/groin. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago but it was really just a twinge and then last week during a lesson when I was really not even doing much it got significantly more painful. I can ride at a walk comfortably, but a rising trot kills me, and I can just about canter for a short distance. I've got a horse who needs regular exercise as she needs to lose weight and she has arthritis (and I am losing weight myself!)

I'm on the ibuprofen and heat (got one of those bean things that you put in the microwave) but it's beginning to get me down a little, I'm not that accomplished of a rider and it's stopping me from improving because I want to develop my seat and I find I have to grab the saddle to keep the weight off the injury a little, thankfully the horse is a gem among gems and doesn't take advantage of this weakness. I was toying with the idea of maybe having a shorter stirrup that side, but that might cause other issues.

Has anyone had an injury like this? How long til you were back to normal? Is there anything else I can do to help it heal faster?

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Sounds like you have pulled a muscle in the groin area, v sore I am sure. Keep treating like you are doing, but only rest and taking it easy helps with muscle strain. If no better in few days seek medical advice. Get well soon..

TrasaM

Visit site
Unfortunately some injuries need rest in order to heal. If you are not aware of doing anything to cause it in the first place it's possibly due to incorrect or overuse of a particular muscle or tendon. Can you take a few days rest? Pain is the messenger not the problem so listen to your body. If ignoring it and carrying on were the solution you'd probably have seen an improvement by now.

wimble

Visit site
I think you should see your doctor and just check that it is what you think it is. Ask your doctor what to do about it. If s/he agrees it's a soft tissue injury they might suggest you see a physiotherapist - if so, go private don't wait for an NHS appointment or you'll have died of old age first. Some ultrasound might be really helpful. Most physios seem to charge around £40-45 for an initial session.