Rider Insurance advice needed

jilliang

New User
Visit site
Hi. I am a fairly regular rider, most saturday and sundays, doing a mixture of hacks and lessons. I am looking at public liability and personal accident cover. BHS membership seems to offer both but accident cover is only 5000. I have looked at a few others online, eg e and l and petplan equine. Although the cover seems more comprehensive, the reviews of these companies are terrible and I would rather not waste my money. Just to clarify I do not own a horse but visit 2 different riding schools. Can anyone offer me any advice/recommendations please? Thanks.

jilliang

New User
Visit site
NFU are closed now but I am going to call them. KBIS only appear to do insurance for owners etc but I think they may be worth a call as their reviews are really good. SEIB, is that an abbreviation? That's one I have not looked at. Petplan, again bad reviews. Thinking I may just do it through the bhs actually. Do you know if they are any good? Thanks

MungoMadness

Visit site
I was recently in a similar situation, looking for insurance to be covered for lessons on instructors own horse and my university comps. I had a look at petplan and NFU but eventually decided on BHS membership, which I thought was more appropriate for my level of riding and was also cheaper!

jilliang

New User
Visit site
At the moment I am thinking about the bhs as most of the others have really bad reviews. However nfu have great online reviews so I am going to call them after easter and see what they can offer me. So at the moment it's between them two. Thanks for the advice.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
NFU became v expensive for insuring my horse, don't know about rider insurance. SEIB is South Essex Insurance Brokers.

JulesRules

Visit site
My horse insurance is with Petplan. I chose them at the time as cost was reasonable and reviews were GOOD!

I'm slightly concerned now if you have been reading bad reviews although I appriciate the insurance type is different.

jilliang

New User
Visit site
I have had another look at this and via the equine compare website, petplan horse ins actually have good reviews, 5 out of 5 so I will be calling them tomorrow along with nfu. I had been looking at petplan general ins but as I say for horses I have come accross some really good reviews. Yes, different type of ins as I am not lucky enough to own my own horse. Anyway, I will go with either the 2 mentioned above or maybe just the bhs. Thanks to everyone who replied.

cellie

Visit site
bsja £29 per year for any horse and liability cover I do my horse separately.Its under supporters insurance :D

jilliang

New User
Visit site
Good tip and I hadn't looked at these. However they only appear to offer mainly public liability, again it's different for you as you are lucky enough to have your own horse and are covered elsewhere. Anyway I have signed up for a rider insurance with petplan who will hopefully cover my needs as a rider (touch wood I will never need it) and thanks to all of you who have offered your advice.

hnmisty

Visit site
I have BHS, then at least it supports a charity rather than someone's Ferrari collection.

Some other charities also offer insurance with membership- not sure of the levels of cover though.

When the purchase of my new equine finally gets sorted, I will get separate cover for her, but think I will always keep my BHS membership. It's only about £5 a month, supports a charity, and I know I'm covered to ride any horse, anywhere.

texel

Visit site
For rider's insurance I have this via my BHS membership.

For the horses I have found a good broker and they are always able to find the best insurance which suits my needs.