rider insurance

tishtash86

New User
Visit site
Hi,

I've started part loaning a horse twice a week and need to arrange rider insurance. I've done some research but I'm aware that some policies are invalidated as soon as money changes hands. Could anyone shed some light on which ones do and don't? I've been looking at petplan and NFU mutual. I heard the BHS one isn't valid if money is exchanged and that E & L is rubbish.

Thanks in advance xx

Shay

Visit site
Not sure what you mean if money changes hands? If you are insured as a rider then you are insured - whether you pay to ride or not.
I've had a quick look at the BHS Gold membership insurance and certainly that makes no mention of anything like this. Have you tried looking at the policies themselves? But yes - avoid E&L

tishtash86

New User
Visit site
Ive just seen on a couple of threads that when you loan a horse and pay to ride/care for it, it then invalidates the insurance, but now I'm not sure from what you've said lol. A couple of threads had pin pointed the bhs one x

Shay

Visit site
Gosh - really? I part loan / share out my ponies, I always insist on rider insurance from the riders and also charge them. I've genuinely never heard of that invalidating insurance. The only thing that might is is you are being paid to ride - rather than paying for it? Basic rider insurance excludes those who ride professionally - they need a different policy.

I have always pointed my loaners at the BHS and have never had a problem with them. Perhaps give them a call to check?

tishtash86

New User
Visit site
Hmmmm maybe that's where it's getting misconstrued. It does seem a bit silly to invalidate insurance when loads of people have horses on loans. I think I will give them a bell to find out for sure. Thanks for your help though :) xx

Pippity

Visit site
Hmmmm maybe that's where it's getting misconstrued. It does seem a bit silly to invalidate insurance when loads of people have horses on loans. I think I will give them a bell to find out for sure. Thanks for your help though :) xx

"This policy does not cover you for [...] use of a horse or horse-drawn vehicle for hire or reward."

Basically, if you're being paid to ride, it doesn't cover you. If you're paying to ride, it does.