Rider nerves- any tips?

TallulahBright

Visit site
As title, really. In lessons and at home I ride well and my horse goes brilliantly. On Saturday I rode the test and actually rode it, so she was great (and I'm only talking Prelim). On Sunday in the warm up she was great so clearly I rode ok. As soon as I got into the ring I was obsessed with forgetting the test so tensed up and basically focused on where I was going; forgot to ride and just steered. Consequently score was awful and I forgot the test. It's so frustrating as I have this amazing horse who seems to have a crap owner/ rider.
Does anyone have any top tips for managing nerves? PLEASE??
Thanks x

Lolo

Visit site
I am a huge believer in visualisation.

Imagine riding the test, exactly how you'll ride it. From going round the arena to exiting it, ride it through in your mind exactly as you'd like to in reality. I find this really helps me focus on riding because I've already done it once, kind of!

Also, if you're one to get tense try 'shaking it out'. Stop, drop everything and shake from your shoulders. It makes it very hard to hold tension, which helps you short-term to relax your body at least. I used to do it before the bell rang, behind the judge's car!

AntxGeorgiax

Visit site
I've never taken my horse to a show so this is yet to come for me, however ill try and give you some advice :)
If the venue holds training days, is there any chance you can practice with them?
Any chance you can hire out an arena that's not at home, and have your instructor sit on the balcony /outside like a judge would, and you ride through your test? They should be able to see where you tense/where you start tensing and this should also give you practice in such a high pressure!
Best of luck, try and do some breathing exercises, I know it seems silly and not useful, but they really do help when you do them properly :)

Pigeon

Visit site
Story of my life!!! I've always been quite cocky about remembering tests, but today I went in and started doing the wrong one :eek: Major oops!

I find counting a rhythm helps, also maybe get someone to read your tests for a couple of outings while you get used to the atmosphere?

ginger_dressage_pony

Visit site
Rescue remedy? Not sure if its a miracle cure as such, but I think for me, that as i had the mindset that, 'the rescue remedy is keeping my nerves at bay' i was far less nervous! This was for my HGV class 1 and 2 tests, I highly recommend it!

Dottie

Visit site
When I get so nervous that I feel like it's going to go all wrong, I just tell myself I'm just doing it for a schooling round and funnily enough it takes all the pressure off and we usually do quite well. ( I was massively suprised by winning a class after that outlook!!)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I do 'the nervous laugh' (bear with me) - someone once told me that to relieve nerves 'in the moment' you should smile and for some reason my attempt at that came out as an odd half-laugh/chuckle type thing. So when I am in a stressful/nerve wracking situation I do the nervous laugh quite a lot and it relieves the tension, and although the nervous laugh is a bit odd it allows me do do/say things in that stressful situation that are not affected/inhibited by nerves.

I don't know whether that would ever work for someone else, but deep breath and smile is a fairly well used technique. Good luck with your nerves, it's horrible when you know your not giving your best because of them :)

LynH

Visit site
I remember when I started doing dressage I was struck one day on about my 6th or 7th test that I was actually riding my horse. The first couple of tests I was focusing on keeping my spooky young horses attention and keeping her in the ring or put on the track not spooking at the boards. I was also thinking about where I was going and getting the accuracy right. Once you have a bit of practice and get a few tests under your belt in a regular timeframe you do suddenly just find that everything slots into place and then you begin to focus how the horse is going in between each transition and remembering where you are going.
It happened again with my next horse, she was an exracer so first test was spent stopping her from galloping off, the next was keeping her within the boards and not running into the judges car. After that I was focused on keeping her calm and slow and the accuracy came later. It is just like a jigsaw putting another piece in each time you go and then you do just find yourself riding the horse and not just steering round the arena. Good luck, enjoy it and you will get there soon.

ann-jen

Visit site
I do 'the nervous laugh' (bear with me) - someone once told me that to relieve nerves 'in the moment' you should smile and for some reason my attempt at that came out as an odd half-laugh/chuckle type thing. So when I am in a stressful/nerve wracking situation I do the nervous laugh quite a lot and it relieves the tension, and although the nervous laugh is a bit odd it allows me do do/say things in that stressful situation that are not affected/inhibited by nerves.

I don't know whether that would ever work for someone else, but deep breath and smile is a fairly well used technique. Good luck with your nerves, it's horrible when you know your not giving your best because of them :)

I had a sports psychology session with Danielle olding and she recommends this! She said the only difference between being nervous and being excited is that one is a negative experience and one a positive. And so if you smile it "cons" your body into thinking its not nervous haha! I now jump rounds of show jumping beaming like the village idiot. God knows whether it makes any difference lol!

TallulahBright

Visit site
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I end up hating myself and thinking that I don't deserve to be riding my horse- she's five and shows great promise when I ride her properly.
Spoke to a friend last night who admitted to taking a glut of port before a test so may give that a go!:D