Rider weight for a Dartmoor?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I highly doubt I could ever get down to an acceptable weight for my sons Dartmoor, but wow would it be handy if I could ride her sometimes at home just for some gentle schooling off the lead-rein. Out of interest though, what is generally the max for one to carry? Not jumping or anything exciting, just for gentle occasional schooling. You'll say something like 7 stone I'm sure and I'll laugh about how stupid I was to even consider I could get to that weight!

Fiona

Visit site
I'm 8.5 stone, and I've sat on my son's stocky 11.2 for 20 min a few times just to check something out.

There was a pic of an adult showing a dartmoor stallion under saddle in H&H last week though.

Fiona

Hipo

Visit site
My daughter and I both weigh 9 stone and are the only riders for our Exmoor. She is a very substantial built 12.2. I would say she would be comfortable with up to 10stone.

alainax

Visit site
My 12.2 fell is currently slim and fit, weighed by the vets at 360kg. Stocky and well put together, I wouldn't be concerned with using the 20% rule with a good balanced rider. That's around 10 and a bit stone depending on tack and clothing :)

I am determined once baby is born to get light enough to ride our wee guy, he just looks soo much fun :D

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Many years ago when I worked at a livery yard attached to a boarding school I used to exercise a student's Dartmoor every day. It was to keep weight off him, we used to do about 30 mins a day on the tracks in walk and canter (no jumping). I would have been between 9 and 10 stone in those days and he coped fine with me (my boss was very knowledgeable, BHSI, and obviously felt I was fine on him).

windand rain

Visit site
I would think about 11 stone for a full up one with loads of bone so as with anything in depends on the pony. I am horrified at some of the erm less than dainty adults that ride big horses thinking just because it is big it is strong. A compact pony with good flat dense bone and short cannon bones will carry (in proportion) much more than a weedy 17hh thoroughbred. My 13hh highland can and did carry me even over jumps when I was 16stone (I have lost 5 stone rarely ride now and she is old) but I wouldnt sit on my 16hh thoroughbred as I was far too heavy for him