Riders, how do your owners find you?

HBM1

Visit site
I have a 3 year old colt I would like to start competing next year in young horses classes. He is showjumping bred. He is my eldest homebred so the first coming into competition....for those competitive riders amongst you, how do your owners find you? Thank you :D

TarrSteps

Visit site
For a horse that young, generally word of mouth. If you don't know where to start just go to local comps and approach people whose riding you like. Even if the particular rider is not able to help you, they can put you in touch with their own trainer or other professionals they think highly of. Everyone loves a compliment so will be happy to help you.

If you want someone more high profile, the same basic rules apply. Spot someone you like and approach them through their business contact. You can certainly start with advertisements but still, make sure the person is going to be a good fit for you and your horse. Aim high if you are ambitious - don't be put off someone just because you think they will dismiss you! Equally though, don't ignore your own personal views because someone "good" is willing to take your horse on. Also, check prices!

I've ridden for a number of breeders over the years and it can be a great ride, so to speak, so try to find someone you think highly of and will get a long with. I'm still friends with many of the people I've ridden for. How "big" a rider you want is up to you, just be aware that a rider at a high level with a big string may not be able to devote the time and flexibility a young horse needs. Make sure you ask questions and remember you are a customer!

Last edited:

Rosiefan

Visit site
For a horse that young, generally word of mouth. If you don't know where to start just go to local comps and approach people whose riding you like. Even if the particular rider is not able to help you, they can put you in touch with their own trainer or other professionals they think highly of. Everyone loves a compliment so will be happy to help you.

If you want someone more high profile, the same basic rules apply. Spot someone you like and approach them through their business contact. You can certainly start with advertisements but still, make sure the person is going to be a good fit for you and your horse. Aim high if you are ambitious - don't be put off someone just because you think they will dismiss you! Equally though, don't ignore your own personal views because someone "good" is willing to take your horse on. Also, check prices!

Make sure you ask questions and remember you are a customer!

As above. Also, some riders have testimonials on their websites which can be useful. The clearer you can be about what you expect the better. Good luck :)

HBM1

Visit site
Thank you very much for your replies. I am on the Berkshire/Buckinghamshire border. I was going to send him to Max Routledge for backing, and still may, but to be honest at this stage, I am loathe to send him away from home. Our outdoor, which is completely unusable, is due to be turned into a very nice indoor before Christmas, so if that happens, backing him at home will be a lot easier if I can find the right person. I do know Max will look after him though so may still send him.

Ongoing from there I am unsure. He means a great deal to me and I think if he has a good first year it will help him greatly for his future - I want him close, if not at home, so I can keep an eye and see when he needs a break, if that doesn't sound too soppy. Thank you again.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I'm hardly a top level rider, but I've brought on and competed a few horses for people.

Some were through word of mouth, and reccomendations from people. At one point after giving myself 6 months off horses I was a bit 'out of it' and posted an advert on gumtree of all places, and thats how I got the ride on the PRE.

Tinks81

Visit site
In Bucks there is Emma Jo Slater from Kimba Farm Stud and also Jade Hall she would probably come to your yard she is a nice quiet rider. Both have lots of experience with young horses.

Jade is lovely and a very good rider i would recommend her highly!

From that area you have many people to choose from - I guess it depends if you want to send him away or not?

i am lucky and Lou Pavitt rides mine and she lives at home with me and lou just comes and jumps her once a week or when needed and meets me at shows to compete her x

Carefreegirl

Visit site
I'm by now means a pro rider but ride a couple. The first one I was just meant to break as her usual rider was waiting for a knee op. We got on so well that I've kept the ride, she's now 6 and the grey in my signature. After a year I moved my own horse in and claimed squatters rights :p
Over the last couple of months I have broken in another one for her and next years 'breaker' is already lined up for the spring.

A couple of girls at my old yard have asked me to school / compete their horses but I suspect thats more to do with the fact I have a lorry so can get to shows (My cynical nature :rolleyes:).

Word of mouth and then when you have your short list go and watch them ride is your best bet. Good luck.

kt_p

Visit site
Another vote for Jade Hall from me to. She is a really lovely rider and will look after your horse like it were her own. She is also likely to travel to you/ meet you out if you preferred.