Riders: How old is too old to event?

claracanter

Visit site
Following from the thread about older horses still eventing, I wondered what peoples thoughts were on older event riders ,without meaning to sound ageist.

I'm in my 40's and would consider giving it go, people seem to hunt well into their old age. I read about a lady in her 60's who won a NH race a few weeks ago.

Obviously experience comes into it with all horsey sports but is there an age when you think it's too old to compete. How many are still eventing over 60? 50? 40?( i'm not thinking of the likes of Sir Mark Todd but amateur)

Firewell

Visit site
Never too old! I saw a lady in her 60's flying around the intro when we were out last weekend. As long as you are healthy and fit, so as not to hinder your horse I don't see what the problem is. 40 is a youngster compared to a lot of our top event riders anyway!

blackislegirl

Visit site
Yes, I read about that lady too, and was very pleased. I think that with respect to your question, if your body is holding up and you are brave enough, and have a good horse, then I don't see how age is any barrier. I am 58 and aiming to do some small unaffiliated HTs and events on my boy this year, though won't be jumping more than 2'3" to 2'6". All the best to you if you are brave enough to aim higher than that!

TrasaM

Visit site
I know of someone who still goes hunting aged 83. Despite falling and breaking her leg last year she's up and at it again and about to get a new horse. Inspiring I think :D

Me, I started riding two years ago aged 52 and there are lots of things on my to-do list. I had a go at XC last year over a mini course and loved it. As long as I can keep fit and healthy and avoid breakages I've no plans to stop :p

Nicnac

Visit site
I'm doing my first BE season this year (have done unaff in the past) and I'm (cough) rising 52 but, according to recent thread, have a mental age of 37 :p

Andiamo

Visit site
brilliant thread, you're never too old!! Anyway, to the OP, you're still young!

Another discipline, but did you see the Japanese dressage rider at the Olympics, 71 years old?

I was writing for judges at some recent Advanced Medium tests, and was amazed and inspired to see a couple of the competitors must have been well into their 60s-70s. They both did a great job.

I read in H&H last week that it has been suggested to start a Veteran's class for competitors - although the OP would be a long way from entering this class!
I think a Veteran's class is a good idea...they have "Young Riders", so why not a Veteran Riders class?

claracanter

Visit site
I think a veteran riders class is a great idea too. Surely by running Young Riders only classes they could be considered ageist.

You could have veteran horse and rider classes, veteran rider and young horse etc etc.

VRIN

Visit site
I think a veteran riders class is a great idea too. Surely by running Young Riders only classes they could be considered ageist.

You could have veteran horse and rider classes, veteran rider and young horse etc etc.

That needs to be put on the BE site. Do you think we really could have a case for ageism?

gunnergundog

Visit site
Upton have run a Veteran class for YEARS, but only at PN/BE100 level....I think their definition of veteran however was only 40+.

Maybe I should campaign for a geriatric class?