Riders mate

popsdosh

Visit site
Not sure if this has been flagged up before ,but I thought these were a great idea for those out hacking on their own.

https://www.ridersmate.com/horse-rider/

It is automatically activated if you fall off and sends an emergency message including your location(where you fell off) to people on your call list . The big plus is that in the worst situations where the horse clears off they can then be tracked using the device which is attached to the saddle. It covers the two worst scenarios we worry about.
Whats more if you have fallen off and its not serious you can cancel the response by just plugging the two parts together again.

SEL

Visit site
Thank you for posting that. I was diagnosed with diabetes in the summer and have to take insulin - I now have a rather worried family who imagine worst case scenario every time I get on a horse. At least this way they know I can get help.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
But the lanyard detaches from the unit to activate it from what I can see, so attach lanyard to horse and unit to you so when you fall it is activated, but if your horse leaves you but you're un-hurt how do you deactivate it (deactivation is carried out by reattaching unit to lanyard)

Hope I explained that clearly-ish!

LaurenBay

Visit site
It also tracks the Horse if it does a runner.

Only thing I would worry about is if I fell, Horse runs off, but I am completely fine. I won't be able to send the second cancellation message as Horse has the thing I would need to re attach to. I wouldn't want the emergency services trying to find me if I was fine and also on the hunt for my Horse. I guess you could call the people it sends the message too though and let them know you are fine but just Horseless.

popsdosh

Visit site
The unit is attached to the horses saddle so if you fall off the horses position can be tracked after the event . The breaking away of the lanyard triggers the initial call which gives the position this happened at so in theory where you are . Obviously if you wanted no assistance if the horse has gone im guessing you may have a mobile with you to stand people down . It doesnt automatically mobilise all the emergency services thats down to those on your list of contacts in that way it works similar to old persons panic alarms. I personally think being able to trace the horse is a bonus in this situation.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I do like the idea, but found £179 a bit steep.

I use the horse rider sos app on my phone. It detects movement, so if you are thrown it gives 60 seconds for you to move, then a 60 second alarm to draw your attention and cancel, then it messages a contact with your position so they can try to call you or emergency services.

It would not find the horse, but it was only about £5 or similar.

A few times I have got back from a ride and taken my jacket off, and OH has been urgently messaged to say my phone is stationary fortunately the GPS is accurate enough for him to see I am in the tack room as opposed to the arena.

So, I do prefer this one, but not at that price. Of course, other people may be quite willing to pay the extra.