riding a horse with only 3 shoes

fletcher

www.equestrian-mad.piczo.com
i was on another site and someone asked if she could ride her horse with only 3 shoes what do you think i have asked lots of people and they agree with me NO and i also asked my farrier and he said no but what would you do if your horse lost a shoe???

I_A_P

Visit site
i have never ridden a horse with only 3 shoes, but i know some people do if they have a soft surface like a menage to ride on.

JessPickle

Visit site
Ride him in the indoor school just light work just to keep him ticking over. Definetly wouldnt if the surface of the school wasnt good though

kerrylou123

Visit site
being at a disadvantage of not having own school, i have to not ride when my horses lose a shoe. I have to hack a few mins down the road to get to the school i use!
But know people, who often ride their horse with 3 shoes in the school.
My horse lost a shoe when we were moving yards, but at the time had no transport and it was a 10 min walk up the road, so i has to pad it with sponge etc and cover it with vet wrap so the hoof wouldnt break away.

vic07

Visit site
would school one who had lost a back shoe if they had good feet. wouldn't hack as the feet would break up. Some surfaces break the feet up less than others as well.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
If Fleur loses a shoe I will still school her as on a surface the difference is negliable, also she has firm soles and standing on a stone won't effect her.

If Dan loses a shoe however I won't ride him at all, except possibly loose schooling him indoors as he is very prone to bruising his sole, and also currently he has pads on so a lost shoe infront would leave him very unbalanced.

BethandHenry

Visit site
Ive ridden with just 3 shoes on (on the horse, just realised that sounded ridiculous!
blush.gif
) on a rubber surface but not jumping and obviously no hacking, wouldn't want to destroy his feet.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
No! I went down to my yard to ride tonight and my mare has thrown a shoe, so no riding for us. Her feet are not great anyway and it would kill them if I took her out on the roads. I just think how would we like to walk on the roads with no shoes on and giving someone a piggy back???!!!

Skhosu

Visit site
Working in teh school for 20mins seems no problem to any of mine when they lose a shoe.
Would never do road work or in the field.s

S_N

Visit site
IMO it depends on the condition of the horses horses foot tbh and a whether it is front or hind shoes that has been lost. An boot (old mac or similar) is one way of getting around this problem......... I used to ride my old horse with only 2 shoes on regularly, in fact ALL the time, as he was only shod infront
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Dotilas

Visit site
I have a pair of those special horse boot things, and if my boy loses a shoe, and i use one for turnout and one for riding.

He generally only loses a shoe a week or less before he gets re shod.

Of course, i only do light work in these boots as it makes him slightly unbalanced! He is a TB so need to keep the freshness at bay! (excuse the pun
tongue.gif
)

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
My horse lost a shoe on Staurday at the end of a ride out on reasonably soft ground. I was a good boy and dismounted to walk him back - especially down the rocky path near his field.

On Trec competitions I take a horse-boot with me to cover emergencies, but it's not so easy to fit on as you think.

GTs

Visit site
If it was one of the front - definately not, one of the backs yes, but I would like just pull off the other and save the farrier a trip.