Riding a lame horse to soundness - is it possible, & in what instances

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
I have been given a 7 week rehab programme from my vets for horse diagnosed and medically treated for kissing spine, but also they noticed a lameness behind which they are suspecting possible high suspensory problems. 3 weeks of lunging, pessoa and long lining, followed by 2 weeks of ridden work walk and trot, then 2 weeks of ridden introducing hill work. With instructions to phone the vet 1/2 way through the ridden work, ie at the end of week 5, or before if the lameness gets worse.

I've finished the 3 weeks of lunging, and long lining, where I could sometimes see this hind leg difference, but it's not extremely obvious lameness as such. So last week I got on him and have hacked him out for 4 days, but he's got progressively lacking lustre, hanging back, napping, and very much behind the leg. And I can feel the lameness in trot when I sit on the left diagonal.

So should I carry on with the riding? I'm thinking I will give the vets a ring in the morning for advice, but have a feeling they are just going to say "push on" or "ride him through it", as they tell me he could have "remembered pain". If they do I'm going to feel even more confused.

Wondered in what circumstances people found their lame horses became sound with riding? Arthritis I know sometimes horses come out a bit stiff and I've seen improvement with this condition. But there's definitely no evidence of arthritis seen in xrays, although feet xrays haven't been done, so it quite possibly could have been missed.

Last time at the vets they said he wasn't lame enough to nerve block, and I'm really not sure he will go any more lame, he hasn't done over the last 4 months when he's been in more work than he is at the moment, although I did realise something was wrong and he wasn't performing to his best.

parsley

Visit site
I don't have an answer to your question but you do say that
[ QUOTE ]
he's got progressively lacking lustre, hanging back, napping, and very much behind the leg. And I can feel the lameness in trot when I sit on the left diagonal

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should discuss this with the vet - explaining that you think that he is getting worse rather than better or staying the same?

TayloredEq

www.tayloredequestrian.com
I think you need to speak to your vet.

But also if they suspected there was a problem with the suspensory then was the horse scanned? if not why not?

I appreciate that you need to work him for the KS, but surely if you have a suspenory problem then working with a pessoa and putting more strain on the suspensory is not a good idea.

Sorry to be so negative, but if you can see that your horse is not right behind then you need to be more assertive with your vet that you would like it investigated.

Good luck.

hellybelly6

Visit site
In certain cases of arthritis, such as hock spavin, it is necessary to gently exercise the horse to help with fusion and to keep the other joints supple.

I would not expect a horse with a suspected tendon/ligament injury to be recommended to be ridden.

When my horse was lame on 3 legs, I was told to ride him through it by the vet as she suspected bone spavin despite heat and swelling in the fetlock and I did and I felt awful. I felt especially terrible when it turned out that my horse had a very large split in his DDFT and surrounding feltlock cartilage!!!!!

Tendon/ligament injuries are best treated in general with rest and gentle supervised exercise such as walking in hand or in a very very small sectioned off area of limited turnout.

Go with your instincts, explain your feelings and thoughts to your vet.

My horse's tendon injury was seen on ultrasound and with tenoscopy and it may be worth asking for an ultrasound for your horse too.

I will never ever forgive myself for riding my horse, against my instincts despite it being on the advice of a vet.

I really hope that your horse is better soon. x

Devine

New User
Visit site
I too have a horse with KS which was discovered when investigating lameness. Situation very similar to yours and again with no obvious solution. My horse showed lameness working on a circle after a strenuous week at adult camp, although there had been no particular incident. She is not lame when turned out or hacking and enjoys a canter and jump about as usual but cannot collect at all without real discomfort which she tries to overcome, bless her heart. Hind limbs have been pronounced clear of arthritis, tendon and joint problems, which leaves the KS. However, cortisone and local anaesthetic have not alleviated it. We are waiting for a bone scan now. Vets are fantastic and I have absolute trust in their diagnosis. I have been told to keep riding to our limit so that the scan will show the site of the injury, wherever that may be. Very frustrating after six months of investigations, no real progress! Any views, comments or advice gratefully received.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I agree with TayloredEquestrian, if suspensory was suspected then I am surprised it was not scanned for at the time. I would not want to "ride through" a suspected ligament problem
crazy.gif
, although with KS progressive exercise is obviously all part of the rehab.

Hind limb lameness in conjunction with KS is often related to the sacroiliac joint (as a compensatory injury caused by the horse trying to relieve the discomfort of the KS). Was this looked for at the time? From what you say about the way the unsoundness feels when you ride, it might be a possibility.

In any event, I would speak to your vet tomorrow and stop the exercise until you have found what is causing the lameness. I hope you find what it is
smile.gif

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
parsley, I think he is actually much the same as he was before ridden, although there was a bit of improvement with him after not being ridden for 3 weeks I felt, enthusiasm wise - but still felt the lameness even so.

The suspensory wasn't scanned at the time, as he wasn't lame enough or consistently lame enough to do nerve blocks. Vet said he wouldn't make a diagnosis on scans alone for suspensory.

Wiltshire Lass, that's very interesting, seems like we are in the same boat. I really am not sure whether this lameness is connected to the kissing spine diagnosis, or is something else. I guess until we have the all clear on the ligaments/tendon's its still in question. Did they do nerve blocks on your horse too as well as scanning? I don't think the injections for the kissing spine have done much - unless of course the problem is the leg? What will the bone scan show that the xray's haven't? Do they not think the lameness you've got is related to the KS? Really feel for you, it's so long and drawn out isn't it. When's your bone scan?

Rowreach I think the vet is making me work through the KS, after being treated for it, and as no diagnosis on the legs been made yet, we can't assume a problem there - as he said if it get's worse ring him. Although I wouldn't say its any worse - just no better. On the xrays of the back the SI joint was good, and the KS wasn't interfering with it, which was good news the vet said. Physio hasn't had any problems with SI, so at the moment that's not in question, but a very valid and good point to raise, thanks. Yes the lameness is very similar in it's appearance, and they may go back down this route if anything shows next time.

My gut reaction is to stop the exercise, until I've spoken again to the vet, for fear of doing more damage, although I know they'll want me to keep riding him up until he goes in for a minimal lameness, so it doesn't disappear again. Lets hope if they want him in, he can go sometime this week, at least to rule another thing out. Thanks for the reassurance in coming to this decision. I'll update in the next few days.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I know more about suspensory liagments (rear) than I ever wanted to
frown.gif
Do not ride if suspected suspensory ligament issue. I don't know anything aboiut kS (and I hope to keep it that way). I don't know what practie you're using, but we have had most of this year with an on-off issue. We went for xrays in August of one hind leg, and a surposed lameness work up. We went to the AHT in Newmarket to see Sue Dyson ealier this month. The results were not good. All I know now, is that I was working my darling mare and she was in pain:when she wouldn'd drop onto the bit/bend round my leg/move into the trot and stay there, it was because she was in pain. I really would get a second opinion and a full lameness work up to find out what is going on with your babe. All my thoughts and hugs for a good outcome.
C.x
PS I'm not a vet or medically trained at all in any way shape or form, just a sad ex-owner. Sorry to be sounding so down!

cellie

Visit site
Been through something similiar myself and wish now I had ignored vets advice and rested completely.My boy had hock spavin op and it is necessary to ride to encourage fusion.I kept ringing him up saying I wasnt happy with front leg but as it was the diagonal he insisted that it was this that was making him short.After weeks of backing off and restarting I insisted on xrays and scans and it turned out to be a fracture.Im not sure if it was caused by kick injury or concussion but at the end of the day you know you horse and sometimes your own judgment is best.Hes giving you the signals and he could have several issues going on at the same time .Hope you manage to get to the bottom of it and you have more luck than me
grin.gif

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
I have just spoken to the vet, and he still think's he's not quite "lame enough" to nerve block, or place a diagnosis on this back leg, which is what he want's to do next.

The vet did ask me whether it wore off after a while, which it doesn't. Although I wouldn't say it got worse either?

So he's said to continue hacking him as I have been,for another week, as it seem's it's getting more consistent, which is what the vet is after, although I did say I don't think the lameness is any higher on the levels of lameness - possibly still only 1/10th's or 2/10th's lame ridden on a hard surface. It's visible to me on a soft surface, but my friend that came up last week couldn't see it.

I feel cruel, but torn between the devil and the deep blue sea. I thought I would have felt happier after speaking to the vet, who I do have faith and trust in, but I feel so sad.

louisevictoria

Visit site
after having been messed around by my vets for nearly six months and not getting any definate answers I would go with getting a second opinion if you are not happy.

hugs anyway and I hope you manage to get things sorted

Halfpass

Visit site
Ok so unfortunatly I have experience with both KS and suspensory problems. Now the horse that had the KS (had surgery in March) was lame behind probably about 2/10ths but still lame. Significant enough for me to question but not significant enought for the vets to worry. So we worked him through and low and behold he is now 100% sound. It is possible for a horse to show signs of lamness with KS and only working through it will show if it will get better with work.
On the other hand the horse that has the hind supensorys was probably worked / turned out when lame (unknown to us) for sometime and this has not helped at all with her problems. If anything the problem is one hell of a lot worse because of this.
IMHO I would ruke out suspensory problems just incase you are doing more damage. It would be heartbreaking to continue working with the KS if only to find out that your horse is beyond repair from suspensory problems.

Good Luck

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
Halfpass, was there any difference do you think in how the lameness presented itself with the KS horse and the horse without the KS. With the KS horse how long did it take for the work, to work through it, and make him 100% sound? Was it in both hind, or just one hind leg/s. This KS horse hasn't had the surgery, nor is he going to, as he's not bad enough yet!

I still can't work out whether it's the KS or something else causing the lameness? Wonder if you can throw any light on it? Shall I PM you would that be easier, or would you rather reply on here?

Halfpass

Visit site
The horse with PSD is bilateraly lame so its very difficult to see. She presented with a lack of wanting to go forwards and not tracking up at all but when nerve blocked in 1 hind was 6/10ths lame on the other. She is the one bottom right in my sig and even there you can see she isn't quite right behind.

The KS horse was obviously unlevel on a circle and this showed more after surgery. It took a good deal of sessions from a physio along side a lunge regime to get him sound.

If you have any doubt at all that ist isn't KS then get it checked out. IMHO its really not worth risking making something else worse. The KS can be re addressed at a later date if it is something else.

cellie

Visit site
I know how you feel .I rode my boy in the school tonight first time for months and he is still feeling uncomfortable after spavin op.It shows as front leg lamness until he moves up a gear then he is just short on corners.I know I wont get fusion until its used but we are already 9 months after the op and the improvement is so slow.Like you I trust my vet but dont want a miserable horse.I dont want to work him on danilon either so Im going to opt for slow regular hacks out .Have you looked into spavins as possible lameness diagnosis it would show up with flexation tests i cant remember what your earlier posts said.

Marchtime

Visit site
I'd be pushing your vets for investigation. Hind suspensory problems are known for being difficult to diagnose because often the horse presents with intermittent low level lameness before progressively becoming worse. My boy damaged his hind suspensory and it took awhile for us to notice. He became very backward, nappy and unhappy. When the vet came out he was convinced he wasn't lame but when he nerve blocked him the difference in his temperament was amazing and it was obvious there was a problem. At the end of the day you are paying the bills so I'd be pushing for nerve blocks. The worst thing you can do with ligaments is work a horse.