Riding a newly backed youngster alone

Joyous70

Visit site
Just wondered what you all thought

My girl has only been backed recently and i have ridden her a handful of times, i need someone to stand and hold her by the mounting block as we have only got on there twice so its still very new to her (the guy who backed her could vault on).

Last night when i got to the yard, i was all set to ride, but there wasn't anyone around, i did think about seeing if I could get her to the block and get on by myself, but then was a little worried, as she is only newly backed about riding on my own with no one around. So i did a few bits and went home.

What would you have done, i don't want to be waiting around all the time for a little assistance, but am i being overly cautious by not riding her if there is no one at the yard?

OH was quite surprised to see me home only, and when i explained why i hadn't ridden he didn't seem to understand.

surreygirl17

Visit site
I think you did the right thing. If you got on and were nervous she would feel it and things might go wrong. Wait until you feel confident and then she will feel confident too.

TheMule

Visit site
She's at such a crucial stage of her education, you want everything to go right so no, I personally wouldnt have risked it either

Oscar

Visit site
I agree, I think it's vitally important the you instil confidence in your youngster from the ground and on top, and if having someone to hold her and just 'be there' gives you confidence then that's fine. Your horse didn't think 'hehe she wimped out' and is none the wiser!

I would maybe next time if you have your brave nickers on, just practice getting her to stand at the mountain block while you go up and down, give her carrots if you like, if she is tacked up you could try getting on and pat her if she's good, and just stay calm & nonchalant if she fidgets. She will get it eventually, praise the god behaviour, and ignore the fidgets!

I have a 4yr old, only been backed a few weeks and I have ridden him 8 times max! And like you I am often alone so I just have to get on with it, and he is a fidget at the block but I just keep persevering and eventually he stands, I don't think he's being naughty just a not very bright 17.2hh warmblood lol, I even hacked him out on my own but got half way round and thought you silly sod this isnt your best idea- even though he was an angel, but I think he just got on with it as I had been very determined, it does amaze me what these young horses take in their stride!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think you made the right decision, especially given the fact that you need a hand to get on safely.

I know it's not germane to this thread but I'm.starting to have a real problem with people who start horses and only vault on, however wonderful the rest of their work might be. Standing at a block (or gate, or lorry ramp. . .) for the OWNER to get on is an ESSENTIAL skill and not rocket science to teach. I have had a couple through now that have needed this sorted remedially. In one case the owner went to get on from the block the first day and it went quite wrong, causing injury and an ongoing issue.

Sorry to derail the thread but to anyone sending a horse to be started, please be very clear on how YOU will do things and make sure the work is done when you go to ride the horse there.

Sorry, OP, not what you asked and I'm sure your horse is totally fine for you to get on alone but I have just been involved in such a situation so it's on my mind! As an old boss of mine used to say, ' If you're making horses for other people, who cares if you can ride it?'

Wheels

Visit site
Depends on the horse I suppose, as soon as I was able to ride my youngster alone (ie didn't need to be led or encouraged forwards by a helper) then we rode in the school but he is fairly straightforward but also sensitive.

I wouldn't have gone home though quite so quickly. I would have done some groundwork including work around the mounting block to try and get him used to it. Not necessarily getting on just used to walking up to and around it, standing still to be stroked while I went up and down steps etc. I would have probably then found myself on board and wandering around lol

siennamum

Visit site
I agree with all of this really. I think you are hughely vulnerable when getting on a young horse, and they can be scared v easily which can set you back. I also think that generally riding when there is no one about is not ideal. I had this issue when starting my horse and declined to ride him on a number of occassions when I thought I would be alone - just in case anything happened.

Mickyjoe

Visit site
I also think that generally riding when there is no one about is not ideal.

Completely agree with this. I seldom ride when I'm all on my own with nobody around, if I can help it. I took a stupid inocuous fall from a horse that I knew well and had been competing for years for an owner. Of all the horses in the yard, she was the most experienced and should have been the safest. I ended up landing on my feet but breaking my ankle and had to lead horse back and put her in the stable myself and then try to ring around to get someone to bring me to hospital.
It's just not worth it..

twiggy2

Visit site
Just wondered what you all thought

My girl has only been backed recently and i have ridden her a handful of times, i need someone to stand and hold her by the mounting block as we have only got on there twice so its still very new to her (the guy who backed her could vault on).

Last night when i got to the yard, i was all set to ride, but there wasn't anyone around, i did think about seeing if I could get her to the block and get on by myself, but then was a little worried, as she is only newly backed about riding on my own with no one around. So i did a few bits and went home.

What would you have done, i don't want to be waiting around all the time for a little assistance, but am i being overly cautious by not riding her if there is no one at the yard?

OH was quite surprised to see me home only, and when i explained why i hadn't ridden he didn't seem to understand.

it all depends on your confidence levels, your horse will know if you are nervous and it can make them anxious too. i hacked out in company once with my mare that had been ridden a dozen times at rising 6, then we were off alons and now 4/5 months later we often hack for 2-3hrs alone. a lot depends on the horse, the rider, the combination, the location and what the horse has already done.

learning to stand at the mounting was taught to my mare when she was 3, it is not something i leave till backing them.

i would also not use someone to back my horse that vaults on, i would find it unprofessional but maybe i am just old fashioned?

Joyous70

Visit site
Thank you - i feel a lot better now as i felt a bit of a wimp.

Im sure she would stand good as gold and in fact tonight if im in the same position, i will tack her up and stand her by the mounting block, we use treats when someone else holds her for me, the only other issue is, and this sounds daft, i need to make sure the cats aren't around! for some reason she doesn't like them and they make her quite anxious, if one happens to be feeding and jumps up onto or off the table, she is liable to shoot off!

So brave pants on tonight, treats in pocket and we will see how it all goes

Joyous70

Visit site
i would also not use someone to back my horse that vaults on, i would find it unprofessional but maybe i am just old fashioned?

Sorry i should have said previously, he did mount using the stirrup once she was having a saddle on her back, but he does and can vault on them also, unfortunately im not that flexible.

twiggy2

Visit site
tie her up near where the cats hang out and let her get over herself. personally i don't treat when teaching them to stand still it is just something i insist on by re-enforcement. i find treating encourages fidgiting as they are looking for the next one

wench

Visit site
I would never ride a youngster again on my own. Did it once, thought it would be fine, and came sailing off and hurt myself badly. However I think it should be easy enough to teach to stand at block. I did with one of my previous fidgety baby. Coat pocket full of pony nuts. Lead her around to the mounting block. If she stood still whilst I farted about and eventually leant over her, she got treats. If she fidgeted she got taken back round again. Seemed to work.

Joyous70

Visit site
tie her up near where the cats hang out and let her get over herself. personally i don't treat when teaching them to stand still it is just something i insist on by re-enforcement. i find treating encourages fidgiting as they are looking for the next one

i did think about this, however the floor is concrete and very slippy and i know she would go down. I have been standing with her by the cats on a long line and fussing the cats at the same time to try and show her that theyre just fluff balls, she is getting better now.

wildcard

Visit site
I agree with tarrasteps im sorry but do not agree with vaulting on horses from a young age it teachers them no manners what so ever and just creates the mouting block problem from the start, Start as you mean to go on. in terms of getting on and riding if you wernt confident enough to do this on your own thats fine and much more sensible to wait for someone to give you the extra confidence from the ground, but their are plenty of things you can be doing on your own which are safe eg, walks round mountain block, standing up and on it next to your horse so they get used to you been above thier head. I broke my mare in about 1 year and half ago now and i made a point of even getting the block out to brush her so me been higher up and her been quietly stood next to it was the norm. their is always something constructive and safe that can be done with a young horse.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If you're at all nervous (sounds like you are), then probably wise to leave it until you have someone to help you. I nearly always ride alone, but I do carry a mobile phone (to call the ambulance, naturally!), and I've backed many a young horse completely on my own through necessity, but I'm not you and you should do what makes you feel most comfortable.

PorkChop

Visit site
Tbh whenever I have backed a youngster they have to go out by themselves from the word go as I haven't had anyone to ride with.

That being said I think you made the right decision, because you weren't 100% about going out alone.

Joyous70

Visit site
I do feel a bit of a muppet for not bringing her in now and taking her up to the mounting block, and doing some practice i really don't know why i didn't try.

I am a little wary of getting things wrong with her, she is my first youngster, which is why i paid someone else to do the backing, so i will tonight do the standing at the mounting block regardless of whether theres anyone around, Im not particularly bothered about riding with no one on the ground, but the idea that there is someone else at the yard just makes me feel more comfortable.

twiggy2

Visit site
I do feel a bit of a muppet for not bringing her in now and taking her up to the mounting block, and doing some practice i really don't know why i didn't try.

I am a little wary of getting things wrong with her, she is my first youngster, which is why i paid someone else to do the backing, so i will tonight do the standing at the mounting block regardless of whether theres anyone around, Im not particularly bothered about riding with no one on the ground, but the idea that there is someone else at the yard just makes me feel more comfortable.

if she is your first youngster and you are a bit unsure as to the best way to do things the best advice anyone can give is to have lessons both on the ground and under saddle with her until you feel more sure of things

alex2

Visit site
There is so much you can do without having to ride. Leading the horse can be equally as rewarding. My 3 year was seeing the mounting block as a very scary place so every time she comes in I line her up and brush her from the mounting block so now it is no longer scary. Try a bit of in-hand work if no-one around for riding, moving away from your touch, moving back, forward, all to command will all be useful when you are on top.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Some judgemental comments. ;) I PREFER to start horses alone now and I still say, in your situation, you should arrange to have someone around. :)

Do you have anyone advising you? Maybe the person who started the horse or a trusted instructor? It sounds like you could use a slightly more robust support system. I help a lot of people in your situation and aside from actual lessons they often find it helps their confidence a lot to have someone they can bounce ideas off or ask a quick question.

Joyous70

Visit site
TarrSteps - yes i do have someone advising me, both the guy who backed her and also a good instructor who has been out to give us a brief session recently, i just need to go out and buy some brave pants and stop being such an idiot, she hasn't put a foot wrong tbh, i think sometimes i just overthink things, to be honest yes its my first youngster so im a little worried about getting things wrong, but my instructor did say when she came out, everything im doing is absolutely fine i am my own worst critic.

idx

Visit site
You absolutely did the right thing - there is always another day called tomorrow. I backed my first baby with a lot of help and when help was not there if it didnt feel "right" I didnt ride that day. She is still only 4 and if it is blowing a gale, she is upset or things just seem not in my favour I dont ride - we are not in a rush and I dont want to scare myself never mind her. Yes there are other things to do, work from ground, groom etc but my closest disaster was one day I decided not to ride and thought I would lunge instead - a fly landed on her, I went to swipe it away and she spooked at something and plunged through me sending me sailing. Luckily I had my riding hat on but I wished I hadnt bothered to do anything with her that day! Bottom line - go with your gut - if your heart is not in it that day wait til tomorrow.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
My jaw is still on the floor that the breaker just vaulted on.

I'd work on the mounting intensively and then get on with riding her. Send someone a text before you get on saying when you expect to be finished then let them know you are ok when off.

Tobiano

Visit site
hi Joyous70. your comment at worrying that you might do something wrong with your young horse really resonates with me - I feel just the same about my 2 year old, who is my first youngster. what i have done is to find a wonderful lady who does Intelligent Horsemanship (think Kelly Marks) and she shows me how to do everything the first time (and sometimes the second and third!). It makes so much difference to my confidence, to know that I am doing things right enough! I too think you were very sensible not to get on on your own - lots of VERY experienced people on here who would have done the same. My advice is to get any help you need, don't feel silly about having it, and work at a pace you are happy with. Good luck! :)

Joyous70

Visit site
My jaw is still on the floor that the breaker just vaulted on.

I'd work on the mounting intensively and then get on with riding her. Send someone a text before you get on saying when you expect to be finished then let them know you are ok when off.

I did say previously he did vault on, but not all the time, he would mount using the stirrup once she was used to having a saddle on her back, however, i prefer to get on using the mounting block, i just feel i should point this out again, as i feel now as though i have painted the guy who backed her in a bad light, when in fact he is amazing at what he does and it was my own inexperience that has bought this problem about, as i never said to him tht mounting from the ground in the school would be an issue, and when i rode her in his presence i mounted in the school with his help.

horse.love92

Visit site
I had the same problem as you ! Bought mine from a dealer and the chap would vault on so he didn't know how to stand still . All you need to use is time and patience I would lead him head on to the mounting block position him, ask him to stand then walk round the side and get on. I would keep asking him to stand until he did then I would mount .
Time and patience is key , also little rewards of a pat or a treat really help .

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Joyous, you shouldn't need to tell a breaker to get on a horse from a mounting block. It wouldn't in a million years have crossed my mind people would vault onto a youngster! Its the most stupid thing I've heard in a long time. There are certain things done traditionally with horses and one of them is we mount from the ground or a mounting block. Very very few adults are able to vault onto a horse, I cannot see what benefit there is to doing this (other than showing off and saving him a bit of time training the horse to stand still!) and as you have found, it means a young horse which is supposedly backed, cannot be mounted from a block without assistance. That is ridiculous and it is part of the training of the house which the breaker should have been doing as part of the horses daily routine. However wonderful he is, I would point this out to him as it is a massive hole in his training of the horse.

TarrSteps

Visit site
FW judging from my experience here, I'd say it's pretty common! I've seen horses from at least 4 breakers who do it as a matter of course. Michael Peace has a whole 'hard to mount' video where that's how he solves the problem. I've also seen situations where the rider only mounts from the ground or gets a leg up.

I assume the good ones go back and install the mounting block skill later but I have seen first hand how it can cause trouble if the horse goes home sooner.

I agree with you but I suspect we might be in the minority!

Like everything else, it has its place and can be very useful with certain horses, but, yes, I think there is an element of showing off. ;)

Anyway, back to the OP. :) It sounds like you have a good support system - don't be embarrassed to use it! Remember you are paying these people to help you make a horse so it's not 'wrong' or 'weak' to get what you need. Have a chat with your instructor about how you should have proceeded in that situation and from now on make sure you get on by yourself even - especially - if someone else is there.