Riding advice please

vicm2509

Visit site
I have just started my stage 1 and have been riding lots of different horses. Now I find that when im on a horse that requires me to use a lot of inside leg I tend to loose my stirrup (on the inside leg). It doesnt happen often, just once in a while. It also happens on a 4yo cob I have been schooling for a friend which needs lots of inside leg as it has no bend at all. I have also noticed that sometimes I have a bruise on the inside of my calf.

My instructor cant see a problem with my legs when I ride but I know I must be doing something wrong. I presume I am tensing somewhere I shouldnt be when applying leg. My own horse is very balanced and quite responsive and I never loose my stirrup on him. It just seems to be on the really lazy, non bendy horses.

So any ideas? I will try and get a recent picture of me riding if that will help, hopefully tomorrow.

charlie76

Visit site
That usually happens when you are riding a less responsive horse- it sounds like you are drawing your heel up in an attempt to use more leg, this then brings your knee and lower leg up causing the loss of stirrup.
Try and get the horse more responsive to the leg by using transtions or backing up the leg aid with the stick.
Also think about applying the 'lower leg' to the horse rather than using your heel.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Yep got to agree with Charlie - sounds like you're curling your leg up in an attempt to put more pressure on - think more of lengthening your leg and using the inside of the stirrup iron against the horses side as opposed to your heel to "kick"
Kate x

vicm2509

Visit site
Thank you. I thought it was because I was tensing so now I know otherwise it hopefully shouldnt be so hard to correct. I think its because im not used to it as ive been riding only Baron for so long and one other horse who is quite sharp (apart from the young cob I have been schooling)

Maybe I will ask to be put on lazy horses in my BHS lessons for a while so I can practice correcting my leg then my instructor will be able to keep telling me when I do it so im more aware.