riding after a c section

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Hi. I had my first child by emergency c section 3 weeks ago. It was a low c section which means they didn't cut thru my stomach muscles. The cut is on my bikini line. Just wondered when people started light riding again? Obviously i'm not thinking about any time soon but i've started driving again and now doing most of the daily care for my horse again. I also walk with the pram daily for at least 30 mins and slowly building up. I'm in no rush to ride again but the reason I ask is the physio in hospital said I couldn't ride for 16 weeks! My horse hasn't been sat on for a year as he has been turned away due to injury so it will be a slow road back for the both of us but i'm thinking thats not a bad thing!

Booboos

Visit site
Congratulations on the baby!! I had a CS and rode 7 weeks after, but I got on a very calm horse, in the school and did 10 minutes of walk! I then waited two days to see how I felt and tried again. Take it slowly and be careful with your horse if he has had time off he may be quite fresh!

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Thank you! Luckily he's pretty easy and is desperate to do something again but obv as we'll both be seriously out of shape and i'm breast feeding it'll only be 10 mins or so couple times a week to start off with. Was going to lunge him gently a couple times a week for a few times before I get on. I presume i'll be okay to lunge after 5 or 6 weeks post section? Again, pretty sensible to lunge.

Booboos

Visit site
I think it's a very individual matter. See how you feel and take it slowly. I was perfectly fine after my CS but I know not everyone is like that. My biggest problems were fitness
(which I lose very easily) and core muscles which had been very effected by the bump.

Is there anyone who can pop on your boy the first few times to make sure he is sensible? To be honest I don't think I could have sat a buck or spook when I got back on.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Im not allowed to ride for 12 weeks after a different abdominal op (even tho it is v close to bikini line), but they said to me if it had been a csection then it would have been 6 weeks+ to ride and to drive (insurance may not cover you sooner with the driving even if doc is happy), (but even then should listen to your body and start very very slowly).

If you have internal stitches which I think you would then the danger is of internal bleeding, haemotoma, hernias etc, not nice.

I would be wary of lunging more than riding too! Unless your horse is quiet and well behaved to lunge, if they are strong then all the force is on your tummy muscles.

Edited to add re the driving a car, you have to be able to turn to look over both shoulders and do a proper emergency stop not just normal driving.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
thank you,

ye i had internal stitches that were removed 2 weeks ago. i was passed fit to drive by the doctor recently and my insurance company have okayed it too (had to show doc i could turn and look over shoulder etc!) tho i will only be doing very short trips to yard to start off with.
i'm in no rush and as he's been turned away etc he'll need a couple of weeks of being brought in daily and handled and groomed etc before i even contemplate lunging so still someway off yet but just wanted to hear anyones experiances!