Riding after a serious injury.

shadowboy

Visit site
I had a serious riding injury in Feb 08- Have not ridden since but have a 13.2 Bombproof ex school pony arriving in the New Year to get me back into it. Im really quite scared and just wondered those with injuries how did you deal with getting back in the saddle for the first time, how long did it take for confidence to resume?

Did you have set backs etc. Im not allowed to compete again due to the risks if I fall again hence why I have gone for a stocky wide, comfy and small level headed breed who is older and apprently a good confidence giver, but I still want to know how quickly I will recover from my nerves. I will be on the lead rope for some time I fear- but oddly cant wait to get in the saddle again at the same time!

marinitagsd

www.marinita-sportshorses.com
Hi shadow, I have had a serious riding accident and couldn't wait to get back in the saddle but it will take time for your nerve to come back, to be honest mine as never come back compared to what it was. Just take your time and do as much as you are comfortable with, baby steps, as the saying goes. You will probably find that you be more confident week by week.
Good luck
Anita
x

GirlFriday

Visit site
ShadowMonkey - well done you for getting back in the saddle!

I've never had a serious riding injury (chipped tooth the only permanent damage so far) but was involved in a serious car accident (we rolled several times on a motorway, through trees, fence and ditch after a 'hit & run'). When I was well enough to ride after that I found I was really quite nervous on the roads for the first time ever - the worst thing (it still crosses my mind every so often 4 years later) was riding over the bridge in Hyde Park. Kept imagining my horse getting startled/hit by a car from behind and jumping the 3' parapet into the shallow lake very far below!

The story that I kept in mind though was of an elderly horse from the same RS who people were worried would have to be PTS as he could only walk when ridden (can't recall what was wrong with him although it was age-related). He was eventually re-homed to an ex-client who wanted a horse that would be happy to only work in walk. Why? Well, because her old horse had died following a car accident in which she had lost a leg! Made my incident seem pretty trivial.

Horsey types can be really brave. Sounds like you are one of them. I can't offer much advise other than to remember that there are lots of people out there going through similar and that you *can* do it
smile.gif

bailey14

Visit site
These things take time. There is a lot to be said for positive mental attitude, that takes people a long way. For me I had to have hypnotism which was in the form of cognitive therapy. It certainly worked for my competition nerves which was the reason I had it, and I managed to get round the steeple chase at Milton Keynes 3 day event with a smile on my face for the first time in 5 trys! I asked a friend once whether she got nervous competing. "Sure" she said, "I get nervous at the thought of not winning my class". Wow can you imagine how nice it would be to have that much confidence! I used to get nervous about falling off and breaking my collar bone - I had a real thing about it for some strange reason. I never did break my collar bone but I have had some nasty accidents falling off my present horse (4 falls off backwards onto my right hip hence my large prolapsed disc) and bad concussion which necessitated a stay in a ICU and has caused my problems ever since. I would get help in the form of a sympathetic instructor or maybe go for cognitive therapy yourself.

amandathepanda

Visit site
A few years ago I came off my 17 hand WB dressage horse & broke my back. Against medical advice, I got on my 13.2 welsh section c gelding barely a month after my accident which I think really helped my get back to my old self. I felt pathetic ambling around a school on the verge of panic but I made myself do it. After that I made sure I got back on Glyn once or twice a week just quietly in the school while I was recovering. Although he was only 4 I actually really trusted that pony!

When I eventually got back on my dressage horse I was more than a bit nervous but by this point the doctors had given me the all clear to ride again. It took a couple of months of just doing school work before I was brave enough to hack him again - when I did my back I was in 1000 acres of open common land.

In your position I think it will be harder as you have had a long time to focus on the fall & what happened, but if you want to do something enough you can always find the inner strength to give it a damn good go! Well done for getting a sensible 13.2, being close to the ground on something quiet will definately help! When you first start riding, remember that there is nothing wrong with getting on your pony in the school, being led around once & getting off again. It doesn't matter if you need to do this for a few weeks before you feel able to do a bit more. Gradually you'll be able to push yourself to do a bit more but it has to be when you feel confident to push yourself that bit more.

What may help you is seeing other people riding your pony. If you see how well behaved he is with small children riding him, it should help you to realise that he isn't going to do anything awful & give you more confidence.

Good luck, I'm sure in a few months time you will be enjoying riding again
laugh.gif

shadowboy

Visit site
Thanks guys- it is really interesting reading your stories, and while I am super nervous I really want to ride again- of my 24 years 18 of those I have ridden for and I sooo badly want to do it again. Panda 2007 your reply brought tears to my eyes - somehow it has really struck me that I can do it- even if it is just tiny tiny steps at a time. Thank you all! x

luckyhorseshoe

Visit site
I like you had a serious accident and couldn't ride for a long time. Think it was about 6 - 9 months, which seemed an eternity. My advice would be to get a sympathetic instructor who understands, some days you may feel confident but some days you will feel less so. When i wanted to get a loan pony my instructor helped me find something suitable. Just be really honest with everyone and yourself don't push yourself too hard. I remember the first time i got on, i was feel of fear and excitment at the same time. I came away happy and emotional, that i had done it. A year on, i still struggle with confidence issues at times but i've done some showing and dressage and even the odd bit of jumping.

wish you loads of luck xx

Sarahgema

Visit site
shadowmonkey - well done for fidning something and getting back into it.
I had a serious accident 3 years ago - I broke my pelvis in 3 places after my horse reared and fell backwards onto me! I couldn't wait to get back on my horses (because their the ones i knew and trusted) but I found it so difficult to get on other peoples. I know I will never have the confidence i did have before my fall, but I bought a horse i broke in after my fall and that seems the only way I trust horses now. I will do anything on my welshy but cant ride alot of over horses and I did have a set baka few wqeeks ago that put me back in an ambulance - sometimes i don't think I will ever learn and I should stick to my boy. I am currentl in the process of breaking my warmblood mare in, so i must have some confidence there. Just be careful, have your wits about you and don't let anyone push you. In my experiance no-one helped me get my confidence bak and i was out there alone. I got there in the end - and im sure you will too. Good luck!

Archangel

Visit site
I came back after a serious injury. I squared it in my head that it was a freak accident and just one of those things and if I wanted to ride I would either get on with it or do something else. If I sat there worrying I would always have a hole in my riding.

I didn't go down the route of a schoolmaster I just got back on the sort of horse I had been riding before (who turned out to be a bronc-aholic) so I had my hands full and didn't have time to worry. Occasionally I had the little voice in my head saying "you really don't want to fall off again" but I used to shout "shut up, I can't hear you, la la la"

Best of luck, hope it continues to go well. It does take guts to get back in the saddle so good on you!