Riding after ACL surgery

classic_astra

Visit site
So i had acl reconstruction on the 14th of oct this year. Surgeon said no riding for 6 months ? having read some posts elsewhere people have been saying it hurts like hell at 6 months. I got on for a walk on my quiet pony and a few strides of trot and have to say its fine. I know 6 weeks post op is considered not a good thing but theres no way im not riding for that long! Anyone have an experiences?

Cowpony

Visit site
I had mine done years ago. The issue isn't the riding, it's the potential to fall off. Riding counts as a contact sport for that reason and the repair isn't at full strength for 6 months. I was good and didn't get back on until the physio cleared me at the 6 month point, but it was an incredibly frustrating time! Good luck with whatever you decide.

oldie48

Visit site
No, but I seriously damaged my ACL badly whilst skiing and was booked in for reconstruction but asked them not to do it if they thought I could cope with a different approach as I knew the recovery period was long. I was borderline and as I was 60 they didn't do it but in hindsight, I wish I had had it done. It is major surgery and tbh I think you are completely mad to ignore your surgeon's advice. It is easier to mend a broken bone than repair a tendon or ligament and yours has been grafted. I have no idea how old you are but I am now in my 70's. Knees are what keep you active and for the sake of a few months and a good repair, why don't you just do as you are told?

Spottyappy

Visit site
Did you have it reconstructed with your own hamstring? If so, the 6 months is to allow the physio to be fully effective and the strength to return. It is worth sticking to what you’re told, because the knee won’t be stable otherwise.
My daughter had hers reconstructed 7 years ago as above. Last year, she re-ruptured the reconstruction. Had it re-re constructed using a donar ACL, and has been told no riding for 4 months, the lesser time because the ligament is already a ligament, and not a hamstring having to convert to a ligament.
Hope you followed that!
Don’t risk ruining the surgery, hard as it seems right now.

eggs

Visit site
I had my ACL reconstructed using a patellar tendon about 20 years ago and at the time was told not to ride for 12 weeks (I was't allowed to do much else in that time either). I started just walking for a few minutes as trotting was definitely very uncomfortable.

I was told that there is a very high chance of causing a re-rupture in the first few months as the blood supply needs to reconnect (not sure how scientific that is).

To be honest it is not the discomfort that is the main issue but the fact that everything needs to strengthen up so as to minimise the risk of further damage. Follow the advice of your surgeon - it is not a long time within the grand scheme of things. At least it will mainly be over the winter that you are 'off games'.

Polos

Visit site
I had complete ACL reconstruction and microfracture surgery using a graft from my hamstring. I followed the surgeons and physios advice religiously. I went to the gym, swimming, physio and lower limb rehab class so I really worked hard with my rehab.

The surgeon said 6 months minimum before getting back on but realistically 9 months. There was no way in hell I would have been ready to get back on before 6 months as my leg just wasn’t strong enough and you need to give it time to heal or you are at risk of re rupturing it. At 6 months I was walking, then I moved to canter (skipped trot for a bit but when I did introduce it I started with sitting trot), I then started with pole work and by month 9 I was jumping small single fences. By 12 months I was jumping small courses and had started lateral work again. It’s been 2 years now and I still have issues so god knows what it would have been like if you got back on sooner

Please please please do not get back on now. It has not been long enough for everything to heal properly. Your surgeon knows what they are talking about, they haven’t completed years of medical training for nothing. If you fail to listen to medical advice at worst you could end up re rupturing it which requires more surgery and costs the nhs even more money, at the minimum it won’t heal properly because you aren’t giving it the chance too and you will be plagued with a lifetime of problems.

When you do get back on in a few months time I thoroughly recommend flex on stirrups. But make sure you get the mixed dots tread as the inclined tread is designed for the French market who ride shorter and it will cause you knee pain.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
When I injured my knee (torn meniscus, ACL and hairline fracture to the tibia) I decided not to have ACL reconstruction for that reason. It was borderline whether it would have given me a better outcome than letting it heal.

My surgeon as well as being brilliant in his field, had a wife who rode so knew exactly what he was dealing with in terms of what riding involves and what horsey people are like. We had negotiated some riding while I waited for my op - no rising trot, no 2 point seat, no jumping and definitely no falling off - so he wasn't overcautious.

When it came to discuss the approach to the surgery, he said if he reconstructed the ACL he was going to insist on no riding for at least 6 months, maybe 9. At that point I said let's not and he laughed and said he thought I'd say that.

The partiial meniscectomy wasn't optional, I couldn't bend my knee without removing the torn tissue but that was only 6 weeks as there was no new structures to take, just a clean up and that went well. Today I don't have problems, I might not be able to cope with sports that involved a lot of running and jumping and twisting but I didn't do them before. I have no problems with my knees riding and my usual activity.

eggs

Visit site
Definitely agree that Flex-on stirrups will be your friend. I have the ones with the half inclined and half flat tread