Riding after broken collarbone

teach

Visit site
I had a bad fall on Sunday, and ended up having my collarbone plated on yesterday. The surgeons have said at least 8 weeks. Has anyone had any experience of riding after this?

JackInABox

Visit site
I broke mine and had it plated a few years ago. I was riding (still wearing my sling!) after about 3 or 4 weeks, but only in the school in walk. A couple of weeks later to trot and canter in the school and then by 8 weeks after the operation I was hacking, jumping and doing yard jobs as normal. I do still have trouble with my neck and shoulder on that side but I don't think that it was from riding too soon.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Didn't have mine plated but I was riding my calm oldie again after about 4 weeks for short hacks, it was 6 weeks before I could really do anything more, 8 before I was competing again and the hospital didn't fully discharge me till 14 weeks post break :eek3:!!!

I think with plating it will be a bit stronger quicker, but there is equally the risk of causing more injury if you come off again.

teach

Visit site
Thanks. Definitely going to be patient as it's a newly backed 5yrold! Have booked him in for 8 weeks boot camp...he will have hopefully learnt to behave by then!
Wondering whether to invest in an airvest (mainly to keep husband and mother happy!)

Annagain

Visit site
A friend was back riding within 6 weeks but didn't jump until she had the plate removed about 6 months later. Not sure why she had the plate removed but it was always the plan.