Riding after bute

melbournesunrise

Visit site
After a week of bute, would you ride?

Ginger nutjob has been on bute since Friday, at suggestion of the vet (who couldn't tell me what was causing the problem in his right hind). I won't have any opportunity on Friday this week to see if he is more comfortable once off the bute, so the first time I will be able to find out is on Saturday morning. Thing is, we are due for a lesson on Saturday morning, and because of the way the yard is run, opportunities for the school are incredibly limited. Realistically, the only opportunity I will get to find out if he is sound is this lesson.

But I'm a little worried to ride, just in case he isn't fully sound and there is still an underlying problem, however mysterious. Although I know my instructor will spot any lameness and I would stop immediately.

So would you ride?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would cancel my lesson. He’s been off with unspecified lameness and you don’t know if he’s sound.

This I wouldn't have a lesson straight after a dose of Bute for lameness, I would rather do a few days light riding to make sure the horse is sound, then book for the following week when I know the horse is going well and sound.

melbournesunrise

Visit site
Thanks - have managed to get time tomorrow afternoon/evening or, so I could trot him up and lunge then to see how he is. Even then, I do like the idea of just light riding, just in case.