Riding after Lasik laser eye surgery...

Thesnowbones

Visit site
Hey :)

I had LASIK eye surgery on Tuesday (4 days ago) and was wondering how long everyone left it before they rode afterwards? When I asked the surgeon, he said between 1-2 weeks, but I'd like to get back onboard next week, if I can? I did pop into the yard yesterday, and stayed out of the stables, but wore sunglasses throughout, and my eyes were a little itchy afterwards, but it was the most I'd done since surgery. My vision is 20/20 now, and my eyes feel pretty comfortable. Would I be mad to get on next week? Even to have a little plod around the arena?

Skib

sites.google.com
Totally agree with Country Mouse.
Always do as the surgeon suggests and if 2 weeks is preferable, then wait 2 weeks. 6 weeks is the normal time taken for a bone or tissue injury to heal and that is why most instruction is to wait 6 weeks after an operation.
It isnt a case of mad or not mad. My grandmother was blind in old age and if waiting the second week improves the likely outcome, I would wait the second week.

A plod may seem risk free because you are using loaded language to ask us the question. But being on the back of a horse always involves the slight chance one may end on the ground and knock one's head. As Eeyore said, Accidents are funny things, You never have them until you are having them.

Baywonder

Visit site
I have never had laser eye surgery - but please, please follow the advice of your surgeon. Is it really worth the risk for the sake of riding a week or two earlier?

I have had friends who have undergone surgery (not eye surgery I might add) but they have ignored medical advice and gone ahead with what they want to do. It put them back weeks in terms of recovery.

Your eyes are precious, and if I were in your shoes, there is no way I would take such a risk.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Would I be mad to get on next week? Even to have a little plod around the arena?
Yes, you would be mad.

You had your warning yesterday, your eyes were uncomfortable after you simply visited the stables. Be very sure that your eyes have fully settled down before you stress them.

TP (eye surgeon‘s daughter).

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Don't do it. I didn't ride until after the surgeon said I could at a follow up appointment. Its not just potential injury or jarring, it's dust and anything else that may get into your eye. You can't rub them post surgery so avoid any possible irritant. I wore goggles to muck out and fill Haynes for about a month afterwards.

Thesnowbones

Visit site
Thank you ladies. So next week would be the 2nd week after surgery, and doctor wasn't clear if it was 1 or 2 weeks. He just said '1-2 weeks,' which didn't seem clear to me.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've had Lasik about 15 years ago, I can't remember how long I left it to ride but I would also be careful around the stables where there is alot of dust and spores from hay and straw. The sunglasses sound a good idea.