Riding and Leading another Horse?

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Got my little one back and as i have two and they both suffer from seperation anxiety (only about being left lol, they dont care when they are actually leaving the other behind!) Its a shame that im not able to do anything with the little one because im spending so much time with Darcy Boy. I cant leave him on his own as he jumps/barges out when left and will jump/bash the door down in his stable. so exercising her on her own is out.

Thankfully when shes in the stable she settles and waits but shes getting a bit stir crazy lol and definitely needs the work now! Iv been riding Darcy in the field and 'practicing' leading her from the saddle and so far no issues, she doesnt want to be left so shes happy lol, but this is in an enclosed space.

Was hoping to kill two birds with one stone, and ride Darcy out and lead the little one, but im unsure of a few things. Iv Done it before but with horses who were used to it, and to be honest you didnt have to do a thing! they kept there head right next to your knee and wouldnt budge. ;)

It would be round quite roads and through a housing estate before getting onto the trails. and of course she would be on the inside.

Firstly id prefer to lead her in a rope halter as shes so soft mouthed, is this legal on the roads? Or would i have to bridle her?

Also im a bit worried that she will whip me off the back of my horse if she spooks at something! :D rofl!
Darcy will go past/over/through anything with no fear, and although she is pretty safe she does have her moments! (as with any horse i suppose)

Someone i know who breaks horses solves this by leading with two ropes, one round the horse hes riding's neck as a back up in case the rope he is holding is pulled from his hand and the bigger horse is used as an 'anchor' to prevent a loose horse... Now to me this doesnt seem right? :confused: or is it what is usually done? seems a bit dangerous to me?

So does anyone succesfully ride and lead while out and about? and if so do you have any tips?

Or should i just shut her in the stable every time i ride just to be safe?

Littlelegs

Visit site
I've done it with quite a few, think its a great way to exercise & great to get youngsters out & about too. I've led small ponies from headcollars but not on busy roads, & larger quieter ones off road the same. Otherwise a bridle, not sure what the legalities are but would guess its a bridle, no reason it would create a hard mouth done correctly. I use a longer leadrope, never even dreamed of tying them together.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Shes so sensitive to the bit, i hardly ever put a bridle on her, i ride her in a headcollar and could ride her with a piece of cotton for reins, just dont want her mouth getting hurt if she prats about and starts pulling, she would probably through herself on the floor or something lol, shes a drama queen! :)

I wouldnt personally do what he does, he breaks driving horses and its normal for him, but id be worried in case Darcy tries to boot her or something.

Iv got an 8ft and a 12ft line, think the 8ft would be ok though, dont want too much slack to be messing around with :)

Bikerchickone

Visit site
A friend of mine regularly rides and leads and does it with a rope halter and a very long lead rope. She doesn't seem to have any problems and I've ridden out with her doing this. She's lucky in that the roads are quiet where she is though.

If you're going to try it out I'd suggest you try in an enclosed field first just to be sure the two of them will walk quietly together. If they do then try taking them out but maybe have a groundperson with you just in case. Good luck :) x

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I've led both my 4yr olds in a headcollar - they went much better. I used to have a long leadrope with two or three knots in it, so that if they did spook suddenly I had something to stop the leadrope pulling through my hand! As they got older I changed to a bridle, but found them much more relaxed in a headcollar when younger.

Could you have someone follow you on a bike or in a car perhaps the first couple of times until you are sure they're ok with it?

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I dont have anyone to come out with me at all, i keep them on rented land a few mins from my house and my other half hasnt even seen my horses, he wont go anywhere near one! rofl :D

I might just have to hope for the best that nothing ever goes wrong xD

paulineh

Visit site
I often ride and lead. Always use a head collar. I will go for miles. We hack through the village and cross the main A30 twice and never hard a problem..

It is the only way in which I can get and keep my Endurance horses fit (Have 4 to keep fit)