Riding and leading - height differences

only_me

Visit site
Do many of you do this? And what's the height difference?

Am hoping to start leading out the Shetland, who's 36" in an attempt to get some weight off him. My horse is 17h!
We will of course be practicing around yard before heading out on the roads, and staying on the quiet ones & wont have to go far because of the Shetlands wee legs lol.

So, for those that ride & lead, what's the height difference between the horses?

lindsay1993

Visit site
I'd think it would more depend on the length & speed of the strides of both the little one and your big horse.

If your big horse is a plodder and takes it slow, the little one should be able to keep up better without wearing his little legs down!! ;)

Otherwise he'll be trotting just to keep up with the big horse if it has a long/fast stride.

I've only ever led similar sized horses, but always struggled if they couldn't match each others pace.

You'll have to put a picture on though, as I imagine it will look quite comical :p

only_me

Visit site
Mines fairly active, but happy enough to keep walking on even if on no contact, the Shetland will be trotting probably so we won't have to actually go far while hacking lol.

I think to start with he'd only be hacking a mile and then building it up as necessary :)
I also promise to post a picture of our hacking adventures :D

Limbo1

Visit site
I do it mine are 12.2 and 15.2 so not a big difference. I do find there is a big gap in pace so pony has to trot every few strides to keep up - not a bad thing when trying to keep weight off. The biggest issue I tend to have is the naughty pony biting the horse. I find it is handy I can reach him - he gets a smack on noise if I can reach or a kick in the ribs if not! It is better in trot and canter as they are better matched in those paces.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I tried and failed miserably leading my Shetland out off my 14.2, but that was more to do with the Shetland being a horror and biting pony's knees at every opportunity. Shetland kept up fine though.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My 33ins TF leads happily off just about anything, my rides haven't been bigger than 15.2 though. She jogs most of the time, filters behind if we go down a narrow track and occasioally tries to barge in front if there is something exciting to see - like children, cycles or daffodils :biggrin3:

Get someone on the ground to walk with you 1st to teach pony to go alongside, then take the rein if pony is agreeable, keeping your walker for the first time or 2, then let your walker drop back.

I will take my mount out 1st for a workout for the 1st few times, then return & collect little one, mainly so big one is already listening to me. (and in the case of the late CF, had the gas removed first)

Hope you have fun :)