Riding and leading.....

L&M

Visit site
Can someone help please......

We have a new mare in who I am trying to encourage to ride and lead off a bridle, but she has a tendency to drop behind the lead horse, which results in a pulling match..... the bit then flips and she resists more. I have tried to thread the lead rein through both rings but makes no difference. How do I encourage her to walk more forward without 'pulling', which is not nice for her or me!

I would like to try her with a dually halter as she is very responsive being led in one, but not sure of the legal implications, especially if riding on the lanes.

Any advice please, thanks.

Trouper

Visit site
It may not be a bit or bridle issue but behavioural. She may not be happy "up front" on a hack or may not want to take up a "challenging" position alongside the other horse, especially if her position in the herd is not established yet. Agree seek some professional help to try and establish what the actual problem is.

L&M

Visit site
She is quite green and can be spooky, whereas the other is the more sensible, so makes sense to me that he is better as the confidence giver/ 'leader'.

He does walk out, but when ridden she has no problem keeping up with him, just when being lead she likes to lag behind.

They get on well, and if anything she dominates him in other situations, so don't think it is a herd issue, just trying to find a way to encourage her more forward and less resistant.

Auslander

Visit site
You're always better off riding the slower one, for the reasons stated in your first post. If she's green and spooky too, it's probably going to be easier to keep her in order if you're on board!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I used to do a fair bit of ride and lead, but used to do some in the school first until I could trot fig 8s etc, do fair transitions etc. I would have a schooling whip to start with, to make sure the led horse knew it had to keep up.

I have also ridden on the road in a controller halter. I had better control in it, so did.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I ride and lead lots, but I’m riding 15hh and leading 12.2hh with or without child so perhaps a bit different.

The pony was reluctant the first time I tried, don’t think he’d done it before, so I used a schooling whip gently crossed over his back though to avoid accidentally using it on my horse/ myself!

With the bit flipping over, have you tried the leadrein over the top of her head (like you would to lunge?)

redapple

Visit site
I'm not sure on the legalities. You might have to check with your insurer to be sure but better to check before you need to know if that makes sense!

I'm not sure if this is what you are already doing but have you lead her with a rider onboard but not doing anything. Is she happy riding alongside in that scenario and will she listen to you asking her to move over etc. Might give you an alternative gateway in?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Have you got the rein from the near side threaded through the near side bit ring ?
I teach them with a second person with a dressage whip ( on a horse if possible) who keeps them going if necessary .
If you are supple and the horse you are riding is calm you can hold the whip in your right hand and quickly twist you body right and use the whip on the led horse to get him forward theres a bit of a knack to doing that but it does work.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Schooling whip as a little reminder of manners. It's sometimes easier to swap horses, but if she's just a little lazy / reluctant, she should also learn to lead properly from the other horse too.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I would practice leading in hand so she's really forward and her shoulder by you nice and forward on the ground.

I always ride and lead with a schooling whip which I carry between the two to flick whoever needs it. My new one is very keen to hug up to the ridden one and then get cheeky and starts to nip him so he needs the blunt end of the whip to poke him away at times !!

SOS

Visit site
Agree with above posters. Hack with a schooling whip and remember prevention is better than cure. Have a set point you want her head at (I.e infront of your knee) and as soon as she slips back, use voice ‘hup’ and a small tap on her hind end. She will soon learn.

I personally prefer to ride the more spooky one as think they feed off a riders confidence and are easier to keep hold of if you are on board!

Nudibranch

Visit site
I use a long soft rope on the led horse, about 10ft. Attached to the near side and then run through the bit rings. If they fall back it puts pressure under the chin and encourages them to move forward. The bit also remains still. You also have a lot more to play with with a longer line. Mine occasionally decides to plant mid canter so it gives me enough to pull up.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Agree with above posters. Hack with a schooling whip and remember prevention is better than cure. Have a set point you want her head at (I.e infront of your knee) and as soon as she slips back, use voice ‘hup’ and a small tap on her hind end. She will soon learn.

I agree with this and is generally how I get them going being led.

I have also led out in a dually halter and preferred it as you can keep the pressure on until they come up to where you want them and then release it I generally prefer this option.
If their really l dragging behind I stop the ridden horse and encourage the led horse up to where I want them and them praise them and try to go again.

I have ridden and led alot of horses n have only come across 2 that flat out wouldn't lead.

Tarragon

Visit site
I ride and lead a lot and really enjoy taking them both out. I agree with using a longer rope as the lead one tends to stop dead to have a poo and the longer length just gives you a bit more wriggle room before you run out of rope! I also use the end of the rope as a Whip Wop if you know what I mean. If the lead one can be sluggish I prefer a straight bar bit as it isn't affected so much by the sideways pull.
My trouble at this time of year is trying to take out to starving ponies when the verges are at nose height!