Riding and the menopause

Jellymoon

Visit site
In this new spirit of openness, I thought I’d ask how any of you ladies have coped with having horses through the menopause?.
In particular, coping with the increased anxiety coupled with still riding, competing, dealing with young horses, backing horses etc. How many of you have pushed on through the fear and panic attacks and come out the other side just as brave and confident as you were before? Or is it best to admit defeat and trade the sports horses and the eventing dreams in for a safe plod. (Please not yet!)
Also, how the heck did you cope with watching your kids flinging themselves and their feisty ponies round the countryside during the menopause ? My teenage daughter now wants to event, and my hormones are screaming ‘no way, can’t cope with that’ and my rational side says,’ well, that’s what you do, so you can’t stop her!’
The physical symptoms are not too bad, can pretty much ignore them, it’s the mental symptoms I’m struggling with. The ‘what if that happens’ when I’m at the yard on my own, or getting on a fresh horse. Is this just a phase and will my normal self return? Because I quite liked her, she was quite cool (or thought she was) and had many years of riding fun left in her, still dreamt of being interviewed by Claire Balding one day….Not so keen on this new version, reminds me of my mum….horror!!!

Without-a-Paddle

New User
Visit site
With reference to the OP (and others' posting on this thread) do you feel it is all connected with the menopause? I only ask because I have many of the unwanted symptoms discussed - increasingly nervous riding, not enjoying the 'fear factor' activities any more - but no such anxiety in other areas of life. I am also 63 and didn't experience any adverse symptoms during menopause at all - I didn't even miss a beat. Instead I've been blaming my stiffness, nerviness re 'what might happen out riding' simply to old age. I yearn to be as I used to be (don't we all?) but feel I must find out the reason - could this have existed triggered by menopause and I didn't attribute it to that? Or is it just old age? It certainly started around age 50 and has only got worse - especially the aches and pains but also the lack of bravery! I now find myself making excuses not to ride, and taking more pleasure in being a 'groupie' for my friend's daughter who enjoys competing the horse.

Jellymoon

Visit site
With reference to the OP (and others' posting on this thread) do you feel it is all connected with the menopause? I only ask because I have many of the unwanted symptoms discussed - increasingly nervous riding, not enjoying the 'fear factor' activities any more - but no such anxiety in other areas of life. I am also 63 and didn't experience any adverse symptoms during menopause at all - I didn't even miss a beat. Instead I've been blaming my stiffness, nerviness re 'what might happen out riding' simply to old age. I yearn to be as I used to be (don't we all?) but feel I must find out the reason - could this have existed triggered by menopause and I didn't attribute it to that? Or is it just old age? It certainly started around age 50 and has only got worse - especially the aches and pains but also the lack of bravery! I now find myself making excuses not to ride, and taking more pleasure in being a 'groupie' for my friend's daughter who enjoys competing the horse.
I think given you say it started at 50, it undoubtedly was triggered by the menopause. I also happen to think that 50 is not the start of old age, it’s middle age, and even 63 is not yet old age IMO!! Reading all the responses in The Tack RoOm - some of which have moved me to tears - it strikes me that many women suddenly start to feel old when they hit menopause, like somehow life is over, or will never be the same again. I suppose it’s true that your life changes a bit, but 50 is not old!!