Riding around roundabouts...

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
My friend and I were on a hack yesterday and we had to cross a fairly busy roundabout with traffic coming from four directions.

Now I have always been told, and my common sense also tells me, that you should ride 2 abreast around roundabouts. The reason being that then no cars can squeeze past you so close you can touch them while they try to overtake you and being forced to the edge before they cut in front of you when they decide to exit!

We made sure there were no cars behind us when we moved two abreast and waited politely and followed normal car roundabout rules (e.g. priority over person on left) and then moved back into single file once we had left the roundabout in order to let traffic past again.

Is this ok? I mean we had a rather abusive lady car driver yell at us that it was single file!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You can ride abreast, I believe. But I usually ride it single file, unless with a youngster.

Rude ignorant woman shouldn't have been thinking of overtaking you on a roundabout - but I guess we do it to cyclists all the time.........

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
Unless it's me that's on it:eek::D

QUOTE]
Lol ;)
But then it would be the car driver making an insurance claim against us if the horse kicked out due to being squashed against the side. It wasn't a particularly wide roundabout and the mare my friend was riding can throw a paddy on occassion!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
But then it would be the car driver making an insurance claim against us if the horse kicked out due to being squashed against the side.

They would have to prove you were at fault and not them for driving neglegently.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
The Highway Code will tell you that you should signal right if you do not intend to come off at an exit, so that car drivers know you will not be turning off.

Regards riding two abreast, I don't know, I personally would want to be single file but then I'd have to ride five miles to my nearest roundabout to try it!

somethingorother

Visit site
I hate roundabouts. I find people are really rude and quite dangerous on them. So i often cheat and go on the pavement if there are no pedestrians :eek: . Otherwise i would ride single file though, because i would be worried about what actions peed off people stuck behind us might take.

OWLIE185

Visit site
You can quite safely enter and ride round a roundabout in single file staying on the inside (kerbside of the roundabout) and using the appropriate hand signals to indicate at which exit you intend taking. This way you do not hold up the traffic or antagonsie drivers.

I would also suggest that you always wear long sleeved hi-viz jackets when riding out so that other road users can see your hand signals clearly from a distance.

I would also advise you to take the BHS road safety course and test which will provide you with a number of useful techniques for riding out on the roads and in public places. Your local County BHS Road Safety instructor will be pleased to give you details of times and dates of courses held locally to you.