riding bareback if you have a boney bum

muffy32

Visit site
I would like to ride bareback but I am very worried about hurting my horses back cos I have got a seriously boney bum.
I remember someone telling me to sit on my hands ( something to do with finding a good position) and I almost broke my fingers!!! It would seem that I am cursed with enlarged dorsal seatbones.

Do you think that I should refrain from riding bareback?

hollyzippo

Visit site
Am very envious!! Mine provides plenty of cushioning so my horse is happy! :p

I think you should be ok for a short time if the horse has a fair amount of top line- not sure if a skinny TB would appreciate it. Probably best to try in the school with a soft surface first.

Ur bum bones are on his dorsal muscles, not his spine so if its muscley/fat shouldnt object to a short ride bareback!!

brightmount

Visit site
You could use a bareback pad.

I envy you your pert derriere by the way
smile.gif

suns

Visit site
I ride in a bareback pad, they are very comfortable for myself and my horse and they dont slip. They are around £50 to buy and well worth it.

sunny123

Visit site
I have a bony butt aswell, used to worry about my poor boy so i rode with an old thick spongy type numnah and it didnt move at all, worked really well, even stayed on during a bucking bronco display! much cheaper than a bareback pad if it works for you.