Riding centres (for hacking) near surrey / Berkshire

maxapple

Visit site
I want to get back into riding again (my horse lives at a retirement livery). Did have a flexible part loan for a while but i can’t commit properly as my partner works shifts some weekends so don’t want a regular day thing at the moment.

can anyone recommend riding centres that do small group hacking. We’re in north Surrey (15 min drive from windsor) so accessible to Surrey and also Berkshire areas.

I know they are not open at the moment so just researching ready for when they are .

Michen

Visit site
The Light Cavalry in Windsor is great - you can join as a 'Supporting Rider' for a small fee each year, then you can hack in Windsor Great Park either guided or on your own (once they have assessed you). https://www.lightcavalry.org/join-us

Wow I'm amazed something like that can exist! Being able to just take one of the horses out on your own. What a great opportunity for anyone horseless.

j1ffy

Visit site
Wow I'm amazed something like that can exist! Being able to just take one of the horses out on your own. What a great opportunity for anyone horseless.

I haven't been for years but it was a great place to head to at weekends when I lived in London. It was a well-kept secret as most supporting riders didn't want it to get too busy ;)

That's where Leo was before coming to us. Unfortunately he was too strong ?

I didn't know that, or even that he had been moved on! I can vouch for the story - I once had to steer him into a hedge to stop. He hadn't read the rules that nothing faster than a 'hand canter' is allowed in the Great Park ;) A pull on the neck strap turned out to be more effective than the reins. What's he like now? I always liked him and thought he was a lovely stamp!

Michen

Visit site
I haven't been for years but it was a great place to head to at weekends when I lived in London. It was a well-kept secret as most supporting riders didn't want it to get too busy ;)

I didn't know that, or even that he had been moved on! I can vouch for the story - I once had to steer him into a hedge to stop. He hadn't read the rules that nothing faster than a 'hand canter' is allowed in the Great Park ;) A pull on the neck strap turned out to be more effective than the reins. What's he like now? I always liked him and thought he was a lovely stamp!

That’s so cool! He now lives in the field next to Bog and Bear :)

He seems a pretty docile chap but not sure ridden wise!

j1ffy

Visit site
That’s so cool! He now lives in the field next to Bog and Bear :)

He seems a pretty docile chap but not sure ridden wise!

Amazing! It's always good to hear when horses land in a good place :) I remember when he first arrived at the Light Cavalry, I think he'd come from one of the London units and pulled a cannon?! Either way, he could only move in straight lines ? so I think the strength was lack of balance and suppleness as much as anything - I seem to recall he ended up doing a fair bit of tent pegging and parades. Lovely chap and great to ride when he wasn't charging ahead!

ETA - sorry OP for de-railing the thread!

mavandkaz

Visit site

He's doing fab. He's back with one of the calvary guys who used to ride him when he was in service.
I've hacked out with him a few times, and he does love a good canter but is controllable and is now back in a snaffle. Gets a little strong in group canters but nothing awful. Think he's loving being back in work, as spent a little time turned away.
See him in the school occasionally practicing his cavalry charge ?

Hexx

Visit site
Tally Ho Riding Centre and Wayside do accompanied hacking in Windsor Great Park. Fabulous place to ride - I had my horse on livery next to the park for 10 years and rode in there most days.

For riding schools - Spanish Bit at Eton, Snowball Farm in Burnham, Wellington at Basingstoke.