Riding downhill

LuanneCat

Visit site
Bit of an odd question, sorry
smile.gif
. I have been having great fun riding with the pony club here especially out on hacks however these frequently result in following rather steep forest paths as the area is mountainous of which i am finding the downhill ones quite unbalanced and uncomfortable
frown.gif
. They are well used paths and i go out with a group so it's just me, well i'v never really liked riding down steepish hills. Dose anyone have any tips on riding downhill? and am i the only one who dosn't really like it?

tw1nn1ejo

Visit site
Heya!
I'm sure your not the only one, when i was learning to go down hills i was always a bit frightened to.
Just remember to lean back and keep your heels down and you'll be fine
smile.gif

Hope this helps! xxx

GTs

Visit site
I think it can be unnerving because going downhills horses are not very well balanced - I have no problem riding downhill, but I do find pulling a carriage quite disconcerting - it is just where I have experience.

Your best bet is to loosen your reins, and move your lower leg forward, lean back a little. I generally let the horse pick their best path unless it is under a tree, or they want to go over to the next county.