Riding EARLY early?

Visit site
Anybody do it? I've never done it before except for autumn hunting but planning to tomorrow morning so I can get out before it gets too hot. I have work at 9 and need to leave home by 8.30 so aiming to be out riding by 7am latest!

I am not a morning person and don't find getting up easy but I have set my alarm for 5.30am ? let's do this!

Roxylola

Visit site
I've done it a lot this winter. Setting out for 7 means I'm mostly hacking in daylight and even if it were dark when I set off its getting lighter. I find I meet the same few dog walkers most mornings rather than hordes of folk out for a stroll as well

Visit site
I am hoping I get to like it and can make it a regular thing, at least over the summer! Means I will have a lot more hours in the day. I do like riding in the evening but often find that as the day goes on my motivation goes too and I tend to think 'I will wait until tomorrow to ride now'! ?

Roxylola - Is it even light at 7 in the winter?! I am guessing you can get straight offroad?

Wheels

Visit site
Every winter for pretty much my entire working life - on board by 6am at the latest and it feels great!!

Winters100

Visit site
Always up early and love riding before anyone else arrives. To me it is a real bonus to have that time without any interruptions.

Lyle

Visit site
When I was teaching, my days started at work at 7.30am, and frequently went until 5.30. I was usually spent at the end of the day, so would ride in the morning. Luckily my horse was yarded quite close to home. I would be up there at 5am, on by roughly 5.15/5.20am, off by 6am, horse packed up and in the field again by 6.20. I cpuld never get the generator to start to power tge lights on the arena, so would just ride in the arena in the dark/semi dark. Home, shower, breakfast, change and off to work by 7. It's really enjoyable and feels great to have that important part done so early. Priorities!

wispagold

Visit site
This has reminded me of the times about 15 years ago when, in the summer I would often go on hacks at 4:30/5am (as soon as it was light enough to go) with 2 other liveries on the yard I was at. It was such a lovely feeling to be out in the fresh air when it was just you and the birds.

LeneHorse

Visit site
I had a wee amble down the road at seven this morning. Very peaceful and I saw a baby deer and a fox, neither of which were at all bothered by us. Just lovely.

Snowfilly

Visit site
There is nothing better than a 5.00am hack on a summer morning, unless it was the summer mornings of my misspent youth where it was a 5.00am hack having not gone to bed the night before! Oh to have the stamina to do that again.

I can’t school in the mornings, I’m not conscious enough to be useful but it’s lovely just to ride and ride.

The local riding school has a 7.00am hack a couple of times a week, I often pass them out and about.