Riding/exercising for a race yard?

Jess91

Visit site
Hi,

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this but I only ever really use this part of the forum so sorry if it's wrong!

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of doing some exercising/riding out/not really sure what the 'correct' term is!? for a race yard? Or if it would be a possibility to do in my gap year for the experience/potentially earn a little money (not sure of what the pay is like - don't imagine its much though!).

Do yards do this type of thing, just riding out not really yard work that they get more 'normal' riders to do (rather than jockeys i mean) or have I got the wrong idea? If so any recommendations around the Epsom area would be very much appreciated. :)

Sorry for the all the waffle and thanks!

bonny

Visit site
I would have thought it harder to do on a flat yeard but certainly jump yards to this. The going rate here is £10 - £15 per ride. You would need to be a good rider though and able to ride anything. Would help alot if you've had experience of riding racehorses, riding short etc.....

Mike007

Visit site
Dare I ask what weight are you,(because the trainer certainly will). It is a lot easier for you now than in my day. Up till the early 70,s there wasn,t a single girl working in racing in Epsom:eek:Do your homework and find out who is still training, and go ask them. Not Tuesdays or Saturdays as everyone will be very busy.PM me if your stuck.

Jess91

Visit site
Thank you. I am 8 and a half stone and have had a tiny tiny bit of experience with racehorses as have re-schooled one straight of the track without much help but otherwise just eventing really but am working for my A test. No idea if this is good enough...?

Joss

Visit site
Yes, Jess sounds like you are more than good enough. Alot of yards, particularly the smaller ones are absolutely crying out for people like you. Get on the phone and ask your local trainers if they require someone to ride out(thats the term;))

I admit that the yard I used to work in used to accept everyone who offered (without pay first of all) & we had some amusing riders even one that put the saddle on back to front!!!

If they quickly accept you there is no need to say too much about your riding ability - actions will soon speak louder than words & I am sure you will appreciate being put on a nice quiet one until they get you assessed & start giving you the dodgy ones:D:eek:

It is so so so much fun I would definitely recommend it to everyone & great experience.Be prepared for some achy muscles in the first week & dont try to ride too short too soon. Once you have got the hang you will soon find yourself putting your stirrups up 10 holes before you canter because its easier.

Let us know how you get on.

Aces_High

Visit site
Depending on your age/experience most people wanting to ride out will have to go through one of the racing schools. They bought this in a few years back to make sure everyone is of a standard. If you are competent you might be able to miss this and maybe just go for a day or two for an assessment. The hardest thing to learn I think you will find is that when a horse is on the bridle you sit against them and they will feel strong in your hand. This is when you don't want to panic as if you change your hands you will end up going quicker than you wanted!! If you don't go through the racing school option, you would probably ride the yard hack first and just get used to the speed etc of going up the canters. I struggle cantering with any eventing friends as it feels like a crawl!! Racing yards do have "yardies" who work on the ground and keep the stables immaculate but generally the full time staff who ride out will muck out a couple before 1st lot is pulled out. If you want to know anymore about riding racehorses etc then you're more than welcome to pm me. I don't have any contacts in Epsom but can easily find some reputable trainers for you to approach. Hope this helps! It will be one of the best experiences you will have!!

Jess91

Visit site
Thank you everyone I will definitely ring a few yards. Any ideas where I could start to look for some numbers? Is there a main racing body that would have a website or something?

MillbrookSong

heartbuster.blogspot.com
the national trainers federation website would be a good place to start or you might have to buy a horses in training book as all the trainers are in there.

I was the same as you and started riding out at a year in my gap year! Im still there 3 years later!

I found it helped my XC riding out no end re the speed and as Aces_high says it will be the best experience of your life if its a nice yard!

Last edited:

JDChaser

Visit site
Go for it, all yards are always after extra riding out staff. Just be brutally honest about your experience and don't try and pretend you know everything about racing - they won't expect you too and people who lie/exaggerate are always found out! :p So long as you can ride, are brave and comfortable at going a fair speed and are willing to learn then i'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck :)

P.S. Be prepared for some banter..! :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited: