Riding hat replacement every few years - recommended?

npage123

Visit site
Just wondering if you think/know the guidelines to do with replacing a riding hat say every 5 years, even if you've not had a fall while wearing it or e.g. haven't dropped it on the ground by accident. I suspect if you were to ask the manufacturers and tack shops, that they would say oh yes, you must replace it every few years, want to try one on...

I believe it's advisable for motorbike riders to replace their helmets every 5 years even if they've not been in an accident (that's what Royal Jordanian says anyway and I think he knows his stuff) So should we be doing the same just to ensure we're using a hat which is still up to the job?

Thanks for any input.

npage123

Visit site
Oh gosh, really! I hope other forumers will reply too because if you're right, I'm way overdue to replace mine!

Cowpony

Visit site
Yes I think it's 5 years. At least, that's how often I replace mine. Assuming they don't change the standard of course...... :-(

gina2201

Visit site
I'm looking for a hat now that will a)protect my head b)conform to new comp standards and c)fit my head! Quite a hard task especially as hardly any tack shops around to try them on, so having to maybe order online and return them if they don't fit?

I wonder what interval the manufacturers say....

Just googled and found an article by H&C that says manufacturers recommend changing 4-5 years!

Visit site
I have fallen off onto my head once this year and that is the first time in over 10 years that my head has touched the floor unintentionally! And that was off of a dirty little git that knew what he was doing!

I think I bought my last hat 4 or 5 years ago. I dunno! If not longer ago! I have only had 2 hats whilst working at the yard and that has been 11 years ... So this one must be older than 4 or 5 years, more like 6 or 7 years old! Whoopsies! It's ok! It still fits! It has a magical sponge in the front of it to make it fit!

Dubsie

Visit site
Loobylu I'm convinced it's all in your seat. Get the position right and you don't get chucked off in a buck or stop, has been noticeable that as my daughter's riding improved she fell off less often. She fell off current mare the other week, I think was the first time since she fell off since the day she tried her, and it was a brand new hat but we know she didn't touch the ground with it (that gel sand that sticks to everything).
Hats tend to last about 3-5 years here. There's no price on safety IMO.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
When there comes out a new standard that would give more protection, change. If a hat is dropped, or protects your head once, replace. Otherwise, 3-5 years. When I was in Australia, I changed every 2-3 years because that was about as long as they survived due to a sweating head - they'd be disgusting with rotting linings!