Riding horse or small hunter?

Spiderman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Pulled my 2yr old out of the field yesterday and took him to a small, local show. It was his first time ever and I was thrilled with his behaviour but more so with how he scrubbed up! From being a very pretty foal, he was then hit with the fugly stick as different body parts grew at different rates, but I was amazed at what a few rough plaits can do!
I'm now thinking that instead of leaving him virtually feral in the field, he lives out 24/7 all year round, I ought to produce him properly for some in hand shows next year.
My query is are there many classes about for small in hand horses? He stands just over 15h at the moment and I'm hoping he'll mature to 15.2. Are there classes for small riding horses and hunters and if so, which is he? He moves well enough for the in hand sport horse classes but will he be looked down on for being little?

201109241130422_zps5e19c22c.jpg

201109241119166_zps2a9d16bb.jpg

201109241119162_zps7117042f.jpg

201109241131554_zpsc7dcef0a.jpg

MillionDollar

Visit site
How did he do then? :p

He's lovely, is he by Spider? And I agree he'd be better off in other classes than Sports Horse (although I'm no expert). I would say small hunter, but I'm sure there are others with more experience that can help.

be positive

Visit site
What a super youngster:) I think he is more of a small hunter, he looks to have a little too much knee action, a hunter head and plenty of quality bone for small RH .
I would do both with him, not at the same show, under the same judge but see which shows you can do and what classes are on, a flashy browband for the RH, plain for the hunter and have a fun season.

He should make a great ridden horse, small hunters at county level are a really useful type to have.

Oh and well done on what looks like a championship win?

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Do both with him. We had Berkley Square for 2 seasons - she won the overall in hand championship in Devon as a small hunter when she was 3 - then as a four year old was 3rd in the ridden Small RH at HOYS and last year as five year old was 2nd in the same class.

There are more hunter in hand classes than riding horse - and the difference as a 3 year old between the two is very little. Lovely type of horse.

If you are planning on producing under saddle, don't do too much as a 3 year old - for some reason a lot of the most succesful in hand horses never do as well under saddle (with a few notable exceptions!)

Spiderman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Thanks for your advice.

Yes, he is by Spider out of my Mooiman mare that stands just under 15h. He won his class and was reserve champ of the section, but I admit they were small classes. The result to me was immaterial, it was a nice local outing that I wanted for him as a first time.

I will look out for those classes in the new year then and possibly have a go in both. I was leaning more to the hunter section, especially if he is in, rugged and beefed up (a little!).

Hopefully we will have some fun with him (though he is supposed to be for sale) before he is backed next year.

zizz

Visit site
I would do the hunters with him, he has that noble head and nice bone. Alot of the county shows stop you from doing riding horse and hunters at the same show and as FMM said there are more Hunter classes available. Re the competition horse classes, Jazz always held his own in them (he was 3rd out of 34 at B&West as a 3yo) despite being only about 15.3 now as a 5yo.

Sally-FF

Visit site
I would say riding horse at the moment, but he may fill out in which case both!

You may as well try both and see which he does best in

He looks like he is going to be lovely!