Riding in draw reins

samp

Visit site
I have a horse that was a late starter in life and is very long and hard to hold together. We have previously ridden in the bungee to improve the canter. HAd lesson yesterday in draw reins which she has been going great in. However, we hit a brickwall last night. She wouldn't go forward in to canter so I tapped her - did an almighty fly buck, unbalanced me, i stupidly yanked her head up and sent forwards. Unfortuntely because of the draw reins the only thing she coud so was rear. We reared twice and I could grab her mane but decided to bale out. I got back on and she was fine - think one of those things. Sorry for long post - has anyone else had this kind of reaction before?

H-J

www.piczo.com
I personally would not ride in them or anything like that as I am to scared of a reaction like that!!

I would prefer to school in my Myler combination bit ocasionally to remind him! Maybe try something like that as it is a snaffle in the mouth just puts pressure on the pole, curb and nose.

I just save the bungees/side reins etc for lunging in. Hope you are both ok
frown.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Draw reins and other gadgets most certainly have their place. But remember a horse works properly from behind - so it shouldn't be a question of 'holding them together' as such.

Some horses feel so constricted by them that their only 'forward' escape is to go up.

I would leave the draw reins at home, and get a good instructor to help you teach you and your horse to engage from behind and ride up and in to the contact.

samp

Visit site
She had been going really well, I think it was the fact that she reacted to the whip bucked and then when I tried to get her head up in (forgetting I was in draw reins) she just went backwards. My instructor is very good and we have made huge progress with her in a v. short space of time and winning dressage with scores around 75%. So she is obviously workign from behind.

Tempi

Visit site
everybody will disagree with me, but here i go!!!!!!!!!!

i ride Bloss in draw reins every time i school. When i have a lesson with my trainer and when i compete is the only time shes not in them (and obviously i dont use them to jump in or for hacking). It keeps her front end together whilst i concentrate on getting the power from behind and getting it pushed out the front end in the correct manner.

My horse bucks when you hit her too, but if you are sat corectly (not saying that you arent) then you should be able to just sit there without having to yank their heads up. Bloss can be a head case and i was schooling the other day (in drawreins) when a rabbit ran out from the bank by the school right under her feet, she did a huge leap and buck but i just sat there, waited for her to stop, gathered her up again and carried on. you just need to get used to how to use them in certain situations, such as bucking just sit there and wait for it to finish!

My mare will also rear in them if she starts getting stressed (finds difficult) what im asking her to do. I know when shes going to do it tho and i just throw the reins at her and make her move forwards - you just have to learn to feel what your horse is going to do next and 9 times out of 10 situations can be avoided.

In germany all youngsters (3yrs ++)are broken and ridden in drawreins, im not saying i agree with this at such a young age, but the germans are certainly doing something right when it comes to dressage.

(if you want to see some pictures of my mare competing they are in the photo gallery under a post called dressage horse pictures or something!!)

flyingfeet

Visit site
Most likely scenario is that you spent too long in them the previous night and pulled all her muscles.

If you did a lot of exercise using muscles you don't normally use and were then asked to do it again the next day you would probably be very sore and pissed off too!

This would be especially true if she normally has a high head carriage.

Gadgets are fine in the right hands, but whether it be a pessoa, chambon, de gogue or draw reins consider the horses normal carriage. You cannot build muscle over night and most people put them on for too long to start with, then wonder why poor horse tells them to naf off the next day!

Suggest you apologise to your horse and give them a good massage / strap.

flyingfeet

Visit site
How long would you use for initially when first trying them out?

I don't think any training aid should be used for more than 15 mins when first building up muscle.

samp

Visit site
She has a good carriage normally, we use them more to get her consistent in the hands and mouth. She had was hacked out (with nothing on 2 days previous to lesson). We also give her plenty of breaks i.e every 5 mins to stretch down and then rest. My lesson in 45 mins. I know it was more a ridder thing and the buck was huge. I normally sit there and let them get it out their system. Had she of bucked again I think I would have been thrown - so it was a catch 22.

Tempi

Visit site
ah fair enough then!! draw reins are just something that have to be used properly but also with caution as they can cause rearing if used in the wrong hands and can also cause muscles to develop incorrectly.

samp

Visit site
Thank you for your suggestions. I think it was just one of those things. I imagine she will be feeling a bit stiff today so I will just wlak her out

kick_On

Visit site
a quick safety tip with draws reins. I have cut my reins in half and used verco to join up two halfs. So if some happens reins will break very quickly
very useful in an emegency (sp)

joy

Visit site
I'm afraid that this is how my mare was taught to rear by her breeders who rode her constantly in draw reins. My advice bin the draw reins I had no end of trouble ironing out this vice and even now it is still her first line of defence/attack if she doesn't feel like doing anything.

ccorbell

New User
Visit site
i have just bought a horse who is very similar. I had a lesson tonight and my instructor said he doesnt know whether to put his head down up and is totally confused by not being strapped down!, and he isnt moving forward as his previous owner only ever rode him in draw reins. he is so over the bit he is going to take time and proper schooling. i think once you have established the correct movement and engadgement then use them but dont use them as a quick fix, so many do!and you can make yourself more work!