Riding in the dark

rcm_73

Visit site
The way the light is at the moment to get a ride in before or even after work would mean riding in the dark or at least half-light as our menage isn't currently floodlit. Does anyone else on here have to ride in the dark, if so how are the horses with it and what sort of lights do you use or just hi-viz? I thought at least the roads would be quieter early in the morning, the problem is it can be half seven before it's properly light and I need to be home and changed by 8!

RLF

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't ride on the roads in the dark, damn right dangerous even with hi viz IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
tell me about it, i havent ridden since the weekend because of the light issues, I jogged last night with my dogs in a high vis and nearly got knocked over by a speeding car on a very quiet country lane
mad.gif

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
i used to do it as a child, hacking to our local showjumping competitions on thursday nights, i wouldnt dream if doing it now. Maybe its because i am older and wiser (or meant to be anyway!)
Is it really worth the risk??
you say your menage is 'half lit' - i would rather ride in that than the roads in the dark. also, depending on how the yard is set out but can you put car headlights onto the menage to give you some extra light???

Tuppence88

Visit site
My horse always went fine in the school in the semi dark (he likes his carrots) but then mum brought a big torch with rechargable batteries which was good for 20metre circles (balanced it on the fence). But then dad attached a big light to the front of the landy for lamping rabbits running off a slave battery so we 'borrowed' the landy before school in the mornings, again only flat work and try not to look directly at it! Also good for finding the little imps in the field!

Mithras

Visit site
I occasionally ride in the dark but I am surrounded by off road lanes and tracks and fields you can ride in. Its quite nice really, my mare was a bit spooky at first but once she got used to it she was fine. After all, when horses were used as transport, people must have had to ride in the dark without lights all the time. I would ride on the road in the dark, with lights, if I absolutely had to, but its not something I would enjoy.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
We live on a big estate and can ride round all 2,000 acres which is ideal. Horse and I set off about 6.30 and go out for an hour or so in the dark. He was a bit spooky to begin with but then after getting used to my dog popping out of hedges all the time he was fine. I love riding at that time because there is noone else about and its so peaceful.

However, I did almost give some random OAP a heart attack last week. It was very foggy and he suddenly appeared in a field and I screamed and the dog barked at him. I think he was quite shocked!!

lis2185

Visit site
I used to ride at 6:30 am with a friend and we both wore lights on hats, flashing tail guards, flashing floresent vests, the horses had floresent boots and martingales and also stuff to go on their bridles. We looked like xmas trees! We'd set off down the road to the moors and by the time we rode back it was daylight and we switched our lights off lol! It could be dangerous obviously but i suppose it depends on the area you live in. The roads around us are dead that time in the morning so we never had a problem. Was lovely riding across the moor with the morning mist rising in the peace and quiet! I miss those days!

Bugly

Visit site
Stick to the ménage: DON'T go on the roads. I met a rider at 8.20am this morning with no hi-viz (riding a black horse and wearing a black jacket and black skull cap: clever!) and had difficulty spotting her. I had my side lights on in the car.

Your horses fitness is not worth risking being squashed on the road.

SillyMare

Visit site
I ride in the fields in the morning - set off about 7am at the moment, back by about 7.45am and on my way to work by 8.

I shower before I go to the yard and just change clothes completely after I have ridden (in the tack room - that can be a challenge when it is really cold...). Probably a bit smelly at work but nobody has complained yet...

Faro

Visit site
Have never hacked out after dark, and don't intend to either - with or without Hi-viz. I also try and avoid dusk as well, as that transition time between light and dark is just as dangerous IMO.

As for schooling, well having no floodlit school - only a large, flat area of grass, my riding at this time of year is confined to the weekends only - but I do like the idea of the Screwfix lights that ChrissieC has provided a link to (thanks Chrissie - I don't suppose you have any idea of what sort of size area they would light up do you?)