Riding in the Dark

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
I need to get my mare fittened up, as I've a lesson (first for many years!!:eek:) booked for the 22nd Feb.
I don't have an arena, although do have some arena sized fields and some lights on the back of my landy, so I can do a little schooling by dark. But I'm thinking hacking is going to be better for fittening. I can only ride on a evening (after 7pm) so am thinking of biting the bullet and hacking in the dark.:eek: I don't have to go on any roads, it's all farm tracks.
My mare is a little spooky but have heard horses can actually be less spooky and concentrate more in the dark.
I lead them to the fields every morning in the dark by headtorch, so we're all used it.
Should I give it a go?? And any tips on temporary strapping a headtorch to mare's bridle??:)

Syrah

Visit site
I hacked out late yesterday, it was dark by the time we got back. My mare didn't bat an eyelid in the dark.

Is there anyone who can walk with you the first time? Just for your own reassurance that there's help at hand if things don't go to plan.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
That could be really dangerous. You won't be able to see what the terrain is like, if there are any objects in your way, or potentially where you are! If you do have to do this then for G's sake stay in walk- make sure someone knows where you're going and when you are expected to be back!

horses don't have to be that fit for a lesson! A good instructor tailors the lesson to the horse and rider's capability- that includes fitness level!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I am an in the dark rider, with a small amount of roadwork. Ask pedantic bout the headtorch on bridle, I have it on my hat instead! Frank is much better behaved and less spooky in the dark ;)

In your situ the one thing to be careful of is that you know the tracks quite well/see them in daylight often enough that you know as much as you can that you aren't going to hit any holes or other hazards :) although your eyes definitely adjust pretty well.

once off road we have a 1/2 mileish grassy stretch which has two man hole covers (known position) and no rabbits ;)

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
Ah-ha! I knew there some someone I'd seen on here posting piccies of their bridle complete with head torch, that'll be Pedantic then!:D

I know the tracks pretty well, they are mostly earth/stone with grass in the middle or that finely ground up tarmac type stuff, so I think I'd be ok, not tripping over anything or getting lost.

Can't really find anyone to walk out with me (only two of us on the yard and other lady doesn't really come up anymore) but I could ring hubby before setting off and when I'm back, just to be on the safe side.

I think I'll give it a go, as I spend most of my time at the yard walking around in the dark, with a head torch normally. I only get to see my horses in the daylight at weekends!!

ArabianGold

Just around the corner, take a left follow the roa
Visit site
Pedantic is defo the best person to ask as he lights up like a Christmas tree and goes off.

His horse never seems to have a problem with it bless the sausage.. Would advise speaking to him.

I walk my horse up to our arena in the dark and she listens to me better instead of worrying what is going on around her. I would ride in the dark more if I wasn't such a wuss myself at least by the time I am freaking out about which serial killer is after me by the time I get to the school I blind them to death by flicking the lights on.

Adios

Last edited:

Mitchyden

Visit site
I ride in the dark and have done for over twenty years. I don't enjoy it but needs must if I want to keep my horses fit enough to compete. Zara is a very spooky mare but she isn't anywhere near as bad as she is in daylight and I find that car drivers give me more respect when it's dark.

Only another five or six weeks and it'll be light enough for me to hack out at 6am and actually see where I'm going!!

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
Oooo, that sounds promising Mitchyden! My mare isn't really badly spooky, she just likes to put it on, I think, so I think she'll be ok in the dark.

I love summer when i can ride at 5.30am, so can't wait for the mornings to get lighter, but for now I'll make do with evening riding. I can't face getting up even earlier in a morning to fit in a ride AND then mucking out:rolleyes:. Summer is much easier!:)

Thanks ArabianGold. Yes I think I might be more scared than the horse at first, but I'll put my brave face on!:D

Visit site
I think this is okay as long as you have all the right equipment on and you accept the risk that horses are more likely to spook at things and have a more severe reaction when it is darker out, they only concentrate more in the dark because they can't spot any things that they don't like but when they hear something shoot out or move they will react severely because they can't see it but they can hear it (using their herd instict) however in the day they can see the things around them and lose concentration because they are LOOKING at them, they cannot do this in the dark.

If you want to go ahead with this idea, maybe buy a headband with a light on the front - like a miners hat without the hat - go on amazon and look one up - they are just a stretchy band with a light on the front - they will easily fit around a riding hat! They are also adjustable. Maybe also get a few lamps and put them up around the arena or area you ride in. Just in case. It's generally safer for you both. Also, before you go, follow the rule of thumb - make sure someone knows what you are doing and where you are!
:)

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I have always hacked in the dark. At the old yard, could get into the forest with no roadwork and knew the tracks well. Am now stabled on a farm, and roadwork to get to the forest, so that is a no no, but I still hack on the farm tracks. I have hi-vis for me and the horse, and do have flashing lights on my hat, and tabard, but don't tend to use a head torch as I found the shadows it cast quite disconcerting for me personally. You would be surprised at how much you can see once you are out in the dark. I also find it strange how people go on about obstacles etc. I have never known of my horses walking into fences, or the trees in their field when they are out overnight! Obviously I don't go flat out galloping around in the dark, but I am quite happy trotting along.

katastrophykat

Visit site
i hack in the pitch black as well... it sharpens your wits and certainly makes my partially sighted section D less spooky... with the downside of making him more spooky the first time he goes out in the light :D

i look like this-

d16b33c1.jpg

2f5d4b94.jpg

but you cant see my lights on the pics- two reds at the back -or three- one on my hat, one on my jacket and one on the tailflap... all flashing, and a head torch!!

Theocat

Visit site
I hacked in the dark once, earlier this winter ... never again. The little pool of light from my headtorch lit up the hi-viz of my mate in front, and because it was all I could see I started to get really, really seasick :D

Starzaan

Visit site
I ride in the dark all the time. They have better eyesight than we do, and if you know where you're going well, then you shouldn't have a problem.

One of my loveliest memories is of galloping across a hill in the dark, lit only by the moon, with my horse and my dog (at the time, absolutely freaked because I was SO late getting home from hacking with a friend, and it really was absolutely pitch black and I still had about an hour to go!)