Riding in the New Forest- tips?

asmp

Visit site
Taking the two horses down to the New Forest for a two day break soon, staying in East Boldre. Does anyone have any hints and tips? We will be armed with an OS map, compass, etc and I seem to remember that the council have produced a leaflet on riding on the forest which I'll search out but was wondering if anyone can recommend rides, horse friendly pubs and any dos and don'ts.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Pigs are out for pannage so be careful! :eek:
Crab flies are still around, which some horses hate.
Stick to the pony tracks to avoid the bogs and watch out for all the rabbit holes when having a blast.
Dont think they are doing any round ups yet.

Enjoy. :)

Fraggle2

Visit site
The drifts are taking place at the moment. So might be worth contacting the agisters to find out where they are taking place

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We went down in June,
some bits were really, really soggy and at one point I thought I was never going to be able to go down hill but going round in circles at the top wasn't very appealing. If only going for a couple of days I would very much advise sitting down with someone and an OS map to sort out a couple of good routes. I'd sorted out good pubs but getting there got a bit tricky as it was tricky to tell what was just very wet mud and passable and what was more problematic bogginess