Riding instructors, qualified or not?

horsegirl

Visit site
Does anyone know how I can find out whether someone is actually qualified to teach? Is it correct that you do have to be qualified to charge for lessons?

tuscanyD

Visit site
Hello,

You can check the BHS register of instructors on their website - it's easy enough to follow and will bring up a list for your area.

BUT there are lots of qualified instructors who don't join the register as it's very expensive. Some will be BHS members and some won't. I have my Stage 3/PTC [taken in 94 I think] but haven't been a BHS member for years - I would imagine if you call them they could check who has passed exams and who hasn't whether they are members or not - I assume they must do - as I intend to re-join and take my stage 4 next year - they can't expect a person to take all the exams again!

There is no law stating that a person must be qualified to accept money to teach - it is highly recommended [particularly by the BHS - for obvious reasons] and also highly recommended that they have insurance BUT it is not a legal requirement.

I did some research recently as I am planning to run some stable management courses - it transpires that if you aren't actually employing anyone the law doesn't require much from you at all. Most organisations strongly recommend insurance etc but when pushed will admit that it isn't legally required.

Hope this helps - remember there are many brilliant instructors out there with no qualifications just loads of experience. The BHS isn't the be all and end all. If you are happy with the person who's teaching you then why worry about it.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Although you can check the BHS register online there are hundreds of instructors who don't bother to keep up their registrations, either because they no longer work in the industry or loathe the BHS system which is sometimes worlds away from the reality of horses in eveyday life.
Many employers have found that the BHS qualifications sometimes mean people can spout theory and ride a quiet horse but haven't a clue when things go wrong or ride a youngster.
Given a choice I would always employ someone with hands on experience rather than a qualification, sorry but we have found too many who can talk but not do!
If you're looking for a good instructor ask someone who#s riding you admire who helps them.
As for teaching, although it's wise to have insurance some people dont have it, it doesn't mean they are rubbish instructors...
I get the feeling this is a post about someone you think shouldn't be teaching without qualifications, am I right?

tuscanyD

Visit site
"Many employers have found that the BHS qualifications sometimes mean people can spout theory and ride a quiet horse but haven't a clue when things go wrong"

I think you're right here - particularly relating to the PTC which, I believe but correct me if I'm wrong please, can be taken after the Stage Two and when the person is only 17.

When I took the exam I found that a lot of candidates were teaching to a formula and not teaching what was actually in front of them.

I think a good instructor is one who helps you achieve your aims by yourself - teaches you to understand why you need to ride a certain way and equips you with the knowledge and tools to go away and do it at home.

horsegirl

Visit site
yes it is, only because lessons are held everyday and are taught by whoever is around at the time (or so it seems )

tuscanyD

Visit site
Legally there's nothing to stop that - but if you are getting crap lessons from any passing teenager [that's happened to me too] then I'd suggest swapping schools - or specifically booking private/shared private with the advanced instructor if possible.

Do you have your own horse? Or are you having lessons on school horses? If so - what are they like to ride?

emma69

Visit site
To a certain extent it is chicken and egg, you can't take the exam without experience, so people have to get the experience. Some people may be teaching to gain experience, some may be helping out a friend in a pinch (we occassionally had liveries teach some of our lessons when staff were sick, very capable riders and competition riders, but not qualified) or they may be taking the mickey. We had lots of helpers at the riding school, and we would often let the older teenagers teach the free lessons for the helpers to give us a break (we'd be sitting in the corner of the school eating lunch!) It gives them good practice, and makes them think a bit more (I also often had clients jump off and teach 5 minute slots of lessons each for the exact same reason, makes them think about things more, and lets them see things from the ground) However if you are paying for a lesson and the teaching is substandard, vote with your feet