Riding Lesson

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
Have my lesson today, was really good. Wasnt as confident as I normally am.

Maybe someone can help me, my feet keeping sliding too much into the stirrup, I mean they end up going right in to my ankle and I get un nerved then.

Any tips? Instructor suggested that I put more weight on that stirrup and keep heels down.

Was trotting for a full half hour today, was hard going (only 2nd time trotting) but boy do I love it now!!!

Picture of the horse I ride is now in the photo forum under Chad

Tia

Visit site
HEELS DOWN!!!! The only way possible for your foot to slip through the stirrup is by holding them up.

This is my "most said phrase" at my trail riding stables.
crazy.gif

Tia

Visit site
Try western riding. It may help you figure out that you need to relax both legs and have them work correctly. Wiggle your ankles to get rid of the "wooden" feeling and then drop your heels.

Make sure you are sitting square in your saddle and not slouching or leaning over to one side. Basically what I am saying is try to relax your body and "go with" the horse rather than against it.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I think you need to release from the knee and hip, this will automatically drop your lower leg and heel down. Don't try and force your heel down it needs to be flexible and move. Have you ridden in a dressage saddle, I find that helps?

All i can suggest is lots and lots of lunge lessons, get rid of those stirrups and concentrate solely on yourself! It really has helped me!

meganograph

Visit site
Trot round hacks in cross country seat - my instructor made me do this for months and it seemed to have made me sink the weight into my heels
smile.gif
Also, do "legs up, back, and down" when you first get on to release your hip. If you're doing it just with one foot you're probably crooked - sorry! I am terribly crooked so join the club - so think about having equal weight in both your seatbones and ask your instructor to look at you from behind.