Riding lessons for adults - where in Herts?

Nestar

New User
Visit site
Hello,

I don't know if this post will just get lost in the ether but here goes...

I'm really struggling to find anywhere near me that does group riding lessons for adults. Does anyone know of anywhere in the Hertfordshire area that I could learn? I used to have lessons as a child so I'm rusty but not totally clueless.

I'm a bit stuck knowing how to re-enter the horsey world if I can't find somewhere to learn because my knowledge/experience/skill is not currently good enough to loan or share so I don't know what other options are available to me.

I know many riding schools have had to shut in recent years as it's just not cost effective. All the schools I used to ride at have now shut down or changed purpose! I'm feeling a bit sad about it all to be honest.

If there's anyone out there that has any ideas or knows of anywhere good in Hertfordshire area - please do let me know.

I'd really like 2024 to be the year I get back to my passion for horses after so many years being unable to ride!

Thank you

toppedoff

Visit site
Sanridgebury is good in St Albans

You also have Kim's Equestrian Centre in Hemel

Petasfield Riding School in Hertford

Where abouts in Herts are you?

Skib

sites.google.com
The British Horse Society (BHS) website lists recongnised riding schools.
Most schools these days will ask new clients to fill up a form outlining their riding experience.

Although it costs more to have a private lesson, I would recommend starting with one. Then moving on to group lesson.

It is tempting to look for a group in order to reduce the cost but when I was learning in my 60s, there was a waiting list for the adult groups at local riding schools. You may need to watch some lessons, pick a school and put yourself on a waiting list.

The big question is whether or not you are comfortable in canter. And whether you can canter in a school (which has corners) or only out hacking.

If you can canter and want to canter in your first lesson, mention it to the school when you book, as they will need to provide you with a safe horse that can canter. Not all RS starter horses canter easilly. Or can may be canter only in one direction.

It does massess for one's confidence before going to try out unknown horses with a view to sharing, if one is able to ride a simple dressage test at a good riding school.

Last edited:

Nestar

New User
Visit site
The British Horse Society (BHS) website lists recongnised riding schools.
Most schools these days will ask new clients to fill up a form outlining their riding experience.

Although it costs more to have a private lesson, I would recommend starting with one. Then moving on to group lesson.

It is tempting to look for a group in order to reduce the cost but when I was learning in my 60s, there was a waiting list for the adult groups at local riding schools. You may need to watch some lessons, pick a school and put yourself on a waiting list.

The big question is whether or not you are comfortable in canter. And whether you can canter in a school (which has corners) or only out hacking.

If you can canter and want to canter in your first lesson, mention it to the school when you book, as they will need to provide you with a safe horse that can canter. Not all RS starter horses canter easilly. Or can may be canter only in one direction.

It does massess for one's confidence before going to try out unknown horses with a view to sharing, if one is able to ride a simple dressage test at a good riding school.
Thanks very much - some great points that I've taken onboard.