Riding Lessons in Aberdeen?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
D1 has gone to Aberdeen Uni for four years.

She hasn't taken her gear, wanting to settle into the course work, but will next term :). I thought it would be nice for her to have some schoolmaster lessons, but would have to be reasonably easy to get to as she's not got her driving licence yet.

I think she'll have a look at the Uni riding club. I'm not sure she'll want to compete, but having some horse people and horses around might be good :)

Any suggestions as to which of the two places is the better for schoolmaster lessons?

TequilaMist

Visit site
http://www.tillyochequestrian.co.uk/riding_academy.aspx
Tillyoch is relatively new and VERY nice.They hold reg comps both BS and BD.Owners kids compete BS and so does wife BS . They do have some very nice horses. I think its more individual lessons than group riding school type lessons they offer
She could get a bus then walk up the hill. Good walk but if she's young and fit should be ok.
The other 2 schools are Aberdeen Riding Club at Oldfold(think thats where uni goes to ride) Its is on a bus route and a wee walk(less than tillyoch to get to school).Am not sure what standard of horse there are tbh as not been there in a while. She could try each and see what she prefers
And Hayfield in Hazelhead area Again a bus and long walk

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Lots going on at the Cabin but its a long way to go with no car. I have heard good things about Aberdeen riding club (RGU use this as their base Aberdeen uni use hayfield) and you can get the bus to Miltimber. Tillyoch would be the place to go for schoolmaster type lessons though going to try and sneak up there myself sometime not sure about transport though.
Shamless plug for the uni riding club too as I'm club sec :p 9feel free to PM if D1 needs any help have been here a while and like to be helpful)

Last edited:

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Lots going on at the Cabin but its a long way to go with no car. I have heard good things about Aberdeen riding club (RGU use this as their base Aberdeen uni use hayfield) and you can get the bus to Miltimber. Tillyoch would be the place to go for schoolmaster type lessons though going to try and sneak up there myself sometime not sure about transport though.
Shamless plug for the uni riding club too as I'm club sec :p 9feel free to PM if D1 needs any help have been here a while and like to be helpful)

Thank you! :D I shall pm tomorrow when my brain is in gear :D

brucea

Visit site
Cabin nice and well presented but hardly convenient, Hayfield run down and horses all look pretty unhappy, Oldfold OK but a bit on the run down side but nice.

She can always come for a hack with Becky and me if she is desperate for a horse fix - but she has to be comfortable bareback, bridle and bitless.

Mince Pie

Visit site
IIRC you need the 18 or the 19 bus (I used to bus out to Oldfold which I think is now ARC?) which goes from the city centre or Gt Western Road which is a short walk from Union Street (Holburn end?) :)

Thank you kindly all :) :)

D1 is going to have a look, see what the buses are like, etc., then start after the Christmas break :) :)

khalswitz

Visit site
IIRC you need the 18 or the 19 bus (I used to bus out to Oldfold which I think is now ARC?) which goes from the city centre or Gt Western Road which is a short walk from Union Street (Holburn end?) :)

Or the 201, 202 and 203 go out that way as well. Pass by both Oldfold and Tillyoch on the North Deeside Road.

Oldfold is good, does all the BHS training etc there as well, and they run RDA from there too as well as having liveries, so lots going on. Agree about Hayfield being a bit run down these days. Tillyoch is top notch, but EXPENSIVE.

Inverurie is train-able, but not a great road to walk from the station out to the Cabin itself. Don't know what the quality of lessons is like there, but as a competition venue it's good.

Whilst there are loads of fab instructors in Aberdeenshire, there aren't a massive amount of good riding schools... not past beginner-y level anyway.