Riding - neck injuries??

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
To cut a very long story short, I have been diagnosed this week with a condition that could see me being told that I *should* never ride again. It's a brain condition, where the brain at the base of my neck presses too hard on the spinal cord. I am due to see consultant at the Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham in a few weeks. Not life or death, just will be totally gutting if their advice is no riding!

So, what are the risks to to your neck from riding apart from the obvious? Is it just the falling off and jarring etc, or is it the mechanics when actually riding? What if you fall off and land on your bum? It's been a long time since I fell off (I compete at BD) but am trying to gather as much information as I can.

Thanks! :D

ajf

Visit site
Ah I'm sorry WF :(

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid but hope your consultant gives you some good news :D xx

ConnieX

Visit site
Really sorry to hear that.

I'm not a medic but I suspect the transfer of forces through the spine whilst riding would be the concern. If you think of the way your spine needs to flex and extend to absorb movement of horse without bouncing around in saddle it's probably easiest to understand where pressure cold occur.

Picture the GP rider whose head and neck appear stationary in piaffe compared to those who appear to piaffe for the horse with chin and chest bouncing together and apart. The latter has little movement in their spine and the forces are transferred from horse to neck causing the ridr to jerk about. The former absorbs the movement by flexing and extending the spine to act as a shock absorber. Not sure whether this additional movement would cause problems in your case but sure consultant will advise.

Good luck and hope you get good news.