Riding School proprietors/managers..... Help Please

Carlosmum

Visit site
A family members riding school has just had its inspection from the city council and failed on the basis of paperwork or lack of. Everything with the ponies passed with flying colours, there were NO problems but Inspectors are wanting paperwork for every time one of the ponies sneezes. This is a tiny little business with only 6 ponies. It has been running for over 50 years. How on earth do we satisfy the need for paperwork...... Staff training policy, feeding regimes, structural management plan for each pony. I could go on. Everything is done to an extremely high standard and all recorded in the farm diary, but this didn't seem to satisfy the inspector.
They were even complaining about the sycamore trees, but the ponies aren't turned out into those fields. I know it all has to be done but am struggling with the presentation. Can anyone offer any ideas. This is for 6 little hairy ponies who live out all year and do no more than 5 hrs of work a week. I am beginning to wonder if it is jut the council who are being tricky or does it happen in other counties too? The inspector kept blaming DEFRA

teapot

Visit site
In this situation, the council would be asking 'what happens if that diary is lost?' Or what is the risk of sycamore trees on site? The paperwork is a requirement of the licence, which is written and imposed by Defra. It shouldn't have come as news that paperwork/electronic records is a huge part of it now.

It is about having standard operating procedures as a business that involves the welfare of animals. Also, in the event of something happening to the owner/proprietor, someone else could implement them immediately with no risk of impacting on welfare. Having done the paperwork for BHS and council inspections of a 50/60 horse yard, (and implemented a lot of it from scratch for a new business/yard), I don't think it's that bad, BUT we had everything in place anyway?
IMHO regardless of size of yard, records and SOPs should be in place - it amazes me how few yards actually do, then moan when it's picked up on :rolleyes:
In terms of what it should look like - word doc, titled name of SOP/outline of x situation eg in event of needing emergency vet, and then list the points that should be followed, including any yard risk assesments. Really not hard if thought about properly.

What worries me, just from your post of asking what it should be like, is whether this rs even have a first aid or safeguarding policy written down?!

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
I would suggest that there is probably an equestrian riding school software that would allow them to record all these details easily and keep them safe.
www.ecpro.co.uk
www.stable-management.co.uk

Nope, you still need the SOPs in place. Those systems are NOT enough on their own - I know both like the back of my hand, and they only go so far with nothing in place for policies or actual management. Also a small RS would struggle to afford ec-pro each month!

Btomkins

Visit site
I am a licence inspector and it’s quite simple really.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...sing-statutory-guidance-for-local-authorities

Go through the above guidance and make sure you have something to cover each point. You must have all the records/documents listed, but they can be relevant to the size of the business. The initial process may be a bit lengthy but once done you just have to review and update any relevant parts (I suggest every 6 months).

I highly suggest a folder for each horse to include their passport/health checks/medicine/feed/worming etc.

Make sure you have back ups for everything whether digital or paper format.

mcgreggor

Visit site
Even if the yard isn't BHS approved, take a look at the approvals documentation. You can download the pdf online and generate your own documents to cover each of the criteria. If you have nothing to start with it's probably a fair bit to work through but it will be worth it. Once you have all the documentation, remember to save it on the computer and just update, re-print and replace in a nicely set out lever arch with dividers to make it easy for any inspector to leaf through.

Carlosmum

Visit site
In this situation, the council would be asking 'what happens if that diary is lost?' Or the risk of sycamore trees on site. The paperwork is a requirement of the licence, which is written and imposed by Defra. It shouldn't have come as news that paperwork/electronic records is a huge part of it now.

It is about having standard operating procedures as a business that involves the welfare of animals. Also, in the event of something happening to the owner/proprietor, someone else could implement them immediately with no risk of impacting on welfare. Having done the paperwork for BHS and council inspections of a 50/60 horse yard, (and implemented a lot of it from scratch for a new business/yard), I don't think it's that bad, BUT we had everything in place anyway?
IMHO regardless of size of yard, records and SOPs should be in place - it amazes me how few yards actually do, then moan when it's picked up on :rolleyes:
In terms of what it should look like - word doc, titled name of SOP/outline of x situation eg in event of needing emergency vet, and then list the points that should be followed, including any yard risk assesments. Really not hard if thought about properly.

What worries me, just from your post of asking what it should be like, is whether this rs even have a first aid or safeguarding policy written down?!

Everything is written down just not in a form that was acceptable to the inspector. Both members of staff have First aid certificates and are DBS checked. I have looked at the BHS templates and it just doesn't seem to be the correct thing to put into the file. I don't understand what is required in terms of 'policy'. Do I make one up that would include all the BHS wording or do i just add the complete BHS document into the file along with the certificate information. I have never been a paperwork person, numbers are more my thing!

teapot

Visit site
Everything is written down just not in a form that was acceptable to the inspector. Both members of staff have First aid certificates and are DBS checked. I have looked at the BHS templates and it just doesn't seem to be the correct thing to put into the file. I don't understand what is required in terms of 'policy'. Do I make one up that would include all the BHS wording or do i just add the complete BHS document into the file along with the certificate information. I have never been a paperwork person, numbers are more my thing!

A diary isn't acceptable, end of. DBS checks and first aid certs still aren't written policy either... Regardless of staff/client numbers the safeguarding process still needs to be documented for example.

Your family member(s) need to go through the actual licencing regulations and have documents that cover everything mentioned. Unless you know how the yard runs yourself, I don't think you'll be able to do it for them I'm afraid.

sport horse

Visit site
Maybe, just maybe, all the bureaucracy is why there are now so few riding schools? One of my relatives asked me where they could take their child to learn to ride and I had to tell them there was not one place within a half hour drive but 30 years ago ther were at least 15. It broke my heart to tell them to take up another sport.

Leandy

Visit site
I'm not a riding school proprietor but am familiar with statutorily required paperwork in other contexts. I think the nub of the point here is that the diary you are referring to likely just documents what has happened and also future appointments etc to the extent they are arranged. If policies etc are missing then what is required is the document which which state what will or should happen in certain scenarios and in order to safeguard the welfare of the ponies, staff and clients. The diary is then the evidence of this happening in practice. From other contexts, if you have a source of standard policies available you can just copy, then it will likely be sufficient just to copy these for your file, so long as the staff are familiar with the contents of them and they are actually followed and used in practice and you have evidence of that. If the standard ones are not appropriate for his little yard, then adapt them so that they are. From inspections in other business contexts, what causes inspectors concern is when the practice does not match the policies or they can't ascertain from the written evidence that it does, rather than necessarily getting into the weeds of what the policies actually say (unless there is particular content prescribed by regulation). So eg on the sycamore trees, you probably need it stated somewhere that ponies not to be turned out in x, y, z paddocks, or perhaps if you use at some times of year but not others, only during months of x to y, or only if areas around trees blocked off with electric fencing, or whatever. This demonstrates that the risk has been identified and the impact of it mitigated. Perhaps you would also have a policy around periodic walk around and risk assessment of the grazing area, and then the diary reflects when those are scheduled for and who does it and they have a checklist to follow and sign. That sort of thing. If good practice is already happening, it is likely just a case of writing down the routine procedures and then evidencing that they happen.

honetpot

Visit site

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...sing-statutory-guidance-for-local-authorities

Go through the above guidance and make sure you have something to cover each point. You must have all the records/documents listed, but they can be relevant to the size of the business. The initial process may be a bit lengthy but once done you just have to review and update any relevant parts (I suggest every 6 months).

I highly suggest a folder for each horse to include their passport/health checks/medicine/feed/worming etc.

Yep, I used to sell food, and go to events and if you look at the documentation it seems overwhelming, but actually it helps you clearly manage your business.
Probably someone has already done the basic document templates some where and all you have to do is perhaps adapt them and fill them in. I now have cattle so I have to record their movements and medicines, and again once you set it up its easy. I keep my feed receipts etc

teapot

Visit site
Maybe, just maybe, all the bureaucracy is why there are now so few riding schools? One of my relatives asked me where they could take their child to learn to ride and I had to tell them there was not one place within a half hour drive but 30 years ago ther were at least 15. It broke my heart to tell them to take up another sport.

I disagree - the riding school licence does not ask for any more paperwork/e-paperwork than a well run yard/business should have anyway! What is happening is the older ‘oh we’ve been doing it for years’ generation fail to, or choose not to, keep up with changing technology and requirements.

Why do we accept such shite standards when it comes to horses? You’d want to know that your local cattery had everything in place before leaving Fluffy there whether it be fire or biosecurity policy, why should riding schools be any different?!

Carlosmum

Visit site
A diary isn't acceptable, end of. DBS checks and first aid certs still aren't written policy either... Regardless of staff/client numbers the safeguarding process still needs to be documented for example.

Your family member(s) need to go through the actual licencing regulations and have documents that cover everything mentioned. Unless you know how the yard runs yourself, I don't think you'll be able to do it for them I'm afraid.
I appreciate the idea but the yard owner is in her 80s, hence my involvement" I have a pretty good idea of how thigs work, but i am not there more than once a fortnight.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I disagree - the riding school licence does not ask for any more paperwork/e-paperwork than a well run yard/business should have anyway! What is happening is the older ‘oh we’ve been doing it for years’ generation fail to, or choose not to, keep up with changing technology and requirements.

Why do we accept such shite standards when it comes to horses? You’d want to know that your local cattery had everything in place before leaving Fluffy there whether it be fire or biosecurity policy, why should riding schools be any different?!

I don't appreciate this comment. If you knew the yard concerned you would realise the welfare of everyone and everything was of paramount importance. It is the paperwork that struggles. No one 'leaves' their horse there it is not a livery yard.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't appreciate this comment. If you knew the yard concerned you would realise the welfare of everyone and everything was of paramount importance. It is the paperwork that struggles. No one 'leaves' their horse there it is not a livery yard.

We have become wedded to the idea in society that unless you have a magic piece of paper to prove you are doing things right then you can't possibly be doing things right, and, worse, that if you have that magic piece of paper, what is written on that paper will actually be what happens. I'm sure your family member's riding school is a complete delight.

Carlosmum

Visit site
OK
i am sorry to be a nuisance but would be grateful if someone could read the following that I have written as a basis for a staff training policy and let me know if I am on the right lines. Currently there is no outside instructor coming in to give the girls regular lessons as has been in the past.

All staff are monitored and assessed by the proprietor or manager. Assessments are carried out every 3 months. Between the owner and the manager or the manager and groom.

The manager is encouraged to seek additional training from appropriate clinics or lectures or peers within the industry.
The groom (s) are trained and reviewed by the manager, may be able to partake in off site clinics or lessons., and are encouraged to seek further information from others in the industry.

Please be nice!!

black and brown

Visit site
OK
i am sorry to be a nuisance but would be grateful if someone could read the following that I have written as a basis for a staff training policy and let me know if I am on the right lines. Currently there is no outside instructor coming in to give the girls regular lessons as has been in the past.

All staff are monitored and assessed by the proprietor or manager. Assessments are carried out every 3 months. Between the owner and the manager or the manager and groom.

The manager is encouraged to seek additional training from appropriate clinics or lectures or peers within the industry.
The groom (s) are trained and reviewed by the manager, may be able to partake in off site clinics or lessons., and are encouraged to seek further information from others in the industry.

Please be nice!!
Could you include actual examples of clinics attended, training courses done? I don't know if this is appropriate but just a thought to demonstrate the yard's CPD policy.

teapot

Visit site
I appreciate the idea but the yard owner is in her 80s, hence my involvement" I have a pretty good idea of how thigs work, but i am not there more than once a fortnight.

It wasn't in response to your family's rs btw - it was in response to the post I quoted. Did I mention welfare though? No. I also wasn't talking about livery, I was talking in terms of how everyone always bemoans paperwork and licensing in the equine world and starts criticising the system, where there are reasons these things are in place, and not just for the welfare of the horse. Yet, in any other industry, people expect it as a given. I'm coming from this with a huge amount of knowledge about what's involved here, on both sides, and it gets my goat when areas of the industry only give this stuff an inch of credence when an inspection goes wrong.

OK

Please be nice!!

It's a good start but you need to include how they're assessed too, ie by what scales (ie BHS exams, how often staff training is), quals of those doing the assessing, how staff are managed - can include appraisals for that one. Also worth including how new staff are introduced to the management of the yard, is there a buddy/shadowing system. I'd specify what you meany by CPD, as that could be read as 'reading posts on fb by equine people'.

Oh and training for any equipment too - quad bike, safety with clippers (yes, really), ppe wearing.

The Whw and Bef websites have really good docs for biosecurity stuff https://www.britishequestrian.org.uk/equine/health-biosecurity/biosecurity or the bhs https://www.bhs.org.uk/advice-and-information/horse-health-and-sickness/disease-prevention

We have become wedded to the idea in society that unless you have a magic piece of paper to prove you are doing things right then you can't possibly be doing things right, and, worse, that if you have that magic piece of paper, what is written on that paper will actually be what happens. I'm sure your family member's riding school is a complete delight.

Unfortunately paperwork matters in the no win no fee world we live in and the ever increasing premiums. No it is not the be all and end all, but when you run the risk of shit hitting the fan, which is a big one when the general public is involved, it helps to have all the Is dotted and Ts crossed ;) There are very few acceptable reasons for it not to be done these days.

It'll seem like absolute overkill for five ponies, but I can assure you for upwards of 50 it's a necessity.

Last edited:

View

Visit site
OK

Please be nice!!

caveat - I haven’t been involved in a riding school licence inspection for some time.

But I do have to writes policies as part of my day job.

I would expect a Training Policy to include not just how often assessments are carried out, but in what format/s. How are the agreed results and training needs recorded? I would include a basic template form, perhaps with some questions to form the basis of discussion. Are staff encouraged to complete a CPD record?

Who pays for training? Is there an agreement to repay if staff leave before X amount of time after? If so, CIPD has a useful template agreement.

Winters100

Visit site

Exactly this. And horses are living beings, if I had to write it down every time I made an adjustment to exercise regimes / feeding / turnout for just my own horses then I would be constantly updating things. Surely all that is needed is a common sense approach of 'if something happens to me then x is in charge'. Staff assessments are nonsense to me for a small business when the owner is 'hands on'. If you are there then you are giving and receiving feedback on a daily basis. I can see sense in an inspector checking welfare, making sure that the animals are kept in suitable conditions and that they have appropriate equipment, but beyond that it just seems absurd.

teapot

Visit site
Exactly this. And horses are living beings, if I had to write it down every time I made an adjustment to exercise regimes / feeding / turnout for just my own horses then I would be constantly updating things. Surely all that is needed is a common sense approach of 'if something happens to me then x is in charge'. Staff assessments are nonsense to me for a small business when the owner is 'hands on'. If you are there then you are giving and receiving feedback on a daily basis. I can see sense in an inspector checking welfare, making sure that the animals are kept in suitable conditions and that they have appropriate equipment, but beyond that it just seems absurd.

The updating feed one can be misinterpreted - it was plenty good enough for us to say 'we have a whiteboard, it's updated as per any changes and only x staff are permitted to change it. All/any changes are then communicated to staff'. BUT the actual process of who updates, when it's updated, how staff got told, had to be written down somewhere. Any field changes went though the same process - it had to when staff didn't work full time. How else do you communicate that, other than writing it down? Not communicating a field change could end up being a welfare issue.

I'd be ALL FOR the licensing to reflect size of business, but unfortunately it's a one size fits all approach currently.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Could you include actual examples of clinics attended, training courses done? I don't know if this is appropriate but just a thought to demonstrate the yard's CPD policy.

A policy does not include examples of clinics attended that would be recorded in the diary. The policy should state how many clinics each employee is expected to attend, where this attendance is recorded (individual training record files would be useful) and how often training courses such as 1st Aid/safeguarding will be updated.
If you can get access to relevant policy templates they will be very useful, the council might even have some available.

honetpot

Visit site
Tried these most just don't fit the system!
I think you just used these as a start, create a spreadsheet doc, add and subtract what you need, with an action, how it's to be completed, date completed date for review. Comments on review.
Generate one as often as needed, similar for staff training, H&S.
List of supplier, vets, phone numbers, You can pinch safe guarding policies from other websites, BRC is a good one to base policies on, a lot of training is available for free online BLS, Safe Guarding, https://www.england.nhs.uk/safeguarding/nhs-england-safeguarding-app/
I had worked on policies, and looking at what other people do, and dare I say it copy and paste in to a document. The worst policies are the one that no one implements, so make sure everyone knows how important they are. Its the what if.. which you hope you never need.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Hiring out horses licensing: statutory guidance for local authorities - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

This is the legislation and under each mandatory condition is guidance to help you put the written procedure and policy in place.

Lets start with condition 4.1 4.2. and 4.3 You and your staff or team need to have documented training records together with on going training. Obviously recognised training and qualifications will form part of fulfilling this condition, but in addition it can include you teaching a junior member of staff to clip, to put a tail bandage on, to treat a minor wound. Simply document all these teaching/training on each member of staffs training and appraisal record. As time goes on the staff members training record will evolve and grow.

Condition 6 feeding plan. this can be met by use of a simple white board in the feed room with a column for each pony. If the pony does not have hard feed just put No Food, adlib grazing and hay, or half scoop pony nuts x 2 daily plus cup of balancer. I would suggest that the board can also be used to body score the pony. You could also use your white board to fullfil the higher standard requirement -
Required higher standards for monitoring horses’ behaviour and training
All horses must have a structured management and care programme to include their exercise needs. It should include suitable alternatives for those not able to exercise, such as extra grooming or physiotherapy.

The board can show that pony X has physio once every 3 months, or it could say that pony X has a weight limit for hire.

Condition 8.2 A policy must be in place for monitoring the introduction of new horses to existing groups. This will help avoid stress to either new or resident animals . Simply write down, and I would suggest you include the policy in your staff training records, how you introduce a new horse to the premises.
9.0 Protection from pain, suffering, injury and disease

Condition 9, 9.1 and 9.2 This is completely self explanatory, simply follow the guidance.

9.4 is self explanatory.

9.7 is self explanatory, simply keep a record of worming and parasite control, this can be done on the horse health records.

9.14 again self explanatory and the horse health record can be used.

10.0 Emergencies
Simply read the guidance and put together a written policy. I would suggest this is also included in your training manual for staff.

Moving onto
Part B – Specific conditions: hiring out horses (schedule 5 of the regulations)

Optional higher standards for diet
Records must show individual health plans and monitoring of the dietary needs of horses. Monthly body condition scoring must be recorded - if is not optimum, advice must be sought from a vet or expert equine nutritionist. This advice must be documented.
There must be a legible and up to date feed chart on display. It must show the correct feeding amounts for individual horses.

I have given advice in Part A that will meet this higher standard.

Condition 6. Simply record the information on the individual health records, I would suggest a record is also kept in the back of the annual diary be it paper or electronic.

6.3 is the work record of each horse.
6.6 is shoeing/trimming record, use your horse health record and the annual diary.

Required higher standards for protecting horses from pain, suffering and disease
Each horse will have its own specific care plan detailing their age and any health related conditions.
Records must show individual monitoring and training plans for horses with training needs to improve their use within a riding school. This must be accompanied with evidence of regular and effective checks with the saddler for comfort and fit.

I have covered this already and you will need to meet all required higher standards if you want to get above a one star licence.

You may find that a lot of councils do not have inspectors with equine experience, I think this can cause a problem. I have just given guidance to a premises that was inspected by a housing inspector accompanying the vet, not ideal by any means.

OP, my guidance for you would be to sit quietly with the legislation and not be overwhelmed by it, read the condition requirement and then the guidance, it really does guide you and when you have written the policy and procedure you will have a complete and comprehensive business handbook that can be added to each year.

An analogy I often use when inspecting for any of the animal activity licenses is - Imagine I have come into the business to run it for you because you are ill. I need to be able to look after the horses/dogs/cats etc but I have no idea that Bonzo the dog in kennel 1 needs meds and is a nasty beggar, or Trigger the pony needs bute in his tea. But this does not matter, because your written records on the kennel door or on the white board or on Triggers health plan will tell me won't they ?

Hope this helps you.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Even having 2 horses I have a file of each that has everything they have had over the years all there insurance claims, medication, everything it's not that difficult when I worked at a riding school we basically did the same for each horse.

Winters100

Visit site
The updating feed one can be misinterpreted - it was plenty good enough for us to say 'we have a whiteboard, it's updated as per any changes and only x staff are permitted to change it. All/any changes are then communicated to staff'. BUT the actual process of who updates, when it's updated, how staff got told, had to be written down somewhere. Any field changes went though the same process - it had to when staff didn't work full time. How else do you communicate that, other than writing it down? Not communicating a field change could end up being a welfare issue.

I'd be ALL FOR the licensing to reflect size of business, but unfortunately it's a one size fits all approach currently.

But my question is did it make the welfare of the ponies better that somewhere in a file there was a piece of paper stating that only x or y could make changes to field allocation or feeding, or would the same have been accomplished by proper management? If someone does not heed a verbal instruction that they are not allowed to change these routines then I doubt that they would be looking in a file to check the protocol. I would guess that all the staff knew was that they should check the boards for up to date info on feeds and paddocks, they probably had no idea that there was a file somewhere to keep within the red tape.

The yard where I keep mine has nothing set down in paper at all. Owner lives on site and checks everything daily. If I want some change to turn out / feeds then I just drop an sms to him or the groom. If I need something done differently or some extra service I just ask. I really do not see how a piece of paper telling the groom what to do in case of a problem with my horses would achieve. The system relies upon the common sense of all involved: if they think one of my horses needs a vet they call me, if I am not available they call my vet if it is something that cannot wait. I simply cannot imagine anyone going to look at the file in this situation.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
I feel for you, all this paperwork is a nightmare, particularly for older people who simply aren't familiar with downloading documents, etc.

It was the same the first time we had a farm inspection. The information is there, it is a matter of finding it and presenting it in an acceptable form for the inspector.

teapot

Visit site
But my question is did it make the welfare of the ponies better that somewhere in a file there was a piece of paper stating that only x or y could make changes to field allocation or feeding, or would the same have been accomplished by proper management? If someone does not heed a verbal instruction that they are not allowed to change these routines then I doubt that they would be looking in a file to check the protocol. I would guess that all the staff knew was that they should check the boards for up to date info on feeds and paddocks, they probably had no idea that there was a file somewhere to keep within the red tape.

Did it make people follow yard rules/management better and therefore welfare was better overall, yes absolutely. It reduced the chances of so and so said do x instead being uttered. So when the too big for own boots moments happened they could be pulled up on it ;)

It also meant that in times of new management staff, or if someone was stepping in in an emergency, they were trained correctly from the moment they started. They also ALL knew where specific paperwork relevent to their role was held in the office - I made sure of it. Should say that yard could not be rivalled for its administration set up, in part needed because of how many part time or freelance staff it had, AND how many horse were there. As @AdorableAlice says, it's literally about a total newbie being able to come in and run a yard safely without compromising welfare. I'm ok with that.

I implemented a lot in a second yard because running off a whatsapp group chat and no written info was a bloody liability waiting to happen.

The yard where I keep mine has nothing set down in paper at all. Owner lives on site and checks everything daily. If I want some change to turn out / feeds then I just drop an sms to him or the groom. If I need something done differently or some extra service I just ask. I really do not see how a piece of paper telling the groom what to do in case of a problem with my horses would achieve. The system relies upon the common sense of all involved: if they think one of my horses needs a vet they call me, if I am not available they call my vet if it is something that cannot wait. I simply cannot imagine anyone going to look at the file in this situation.

It's designed so that if all else fails, and they know where it is, they can check they're doing the right thing, or get someone else to check. Over time those SOPs become second nature. In a riding school setting, you'd be amazed how common sense goes out the window, especially if short staffed, or missing management, and when it involves clients or livery horses, you have to be aware of that.

Last edited: