Riding school still teaching in lockdown- poor form??

Equi

Visit site
I think you're right.. An insurance company would say they shouldn't be open.
My yo checked directly with her insurance re the liveries riding and they said it was fine and technically she is making money from us using her riding facilities but it may be totally different to an actual person teaching

EventingMum

Visit site
A lesson with several riders would surely count as a gathering? Novice riders would require assistance to get the horse to and from the stable etc, I fail to see how social distancing can be safely maintained. I own a BHS Approved Riding School and certainly wouldn't consider operating at present and I'm sure my clients wouldn't attend in any case. The struggle is real as we can't just shut up shop and horses obviously require ongoing care which costs money but I certainly wouldn't take the risk of having the public riding just now, the risk is too high.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm not a key worker. I'm operating machinery that would usually be manned by two operators, but there isn't space to distance so I'm operating it alone with an observer stood the other side of the (glass) wall and a man down radio. It's not ideal but it is what it is. There are first aid trained personnel on site and yes they would give me mouth to mouth resuscitation if for some reason I needed it.
I'm not a key worker. I'm operating machinery that would usually be manned by two operators, but there isn't space to distance so I'm operating it alone with an observer stood the other side of the (glass) wall and a man down radio. It's not ideal but it is what it is. There are first aid trained personnel on site and yes they would give me mouth to mouth resuscitation if for some reason I needed it.

I would hope that your 1st Aid kit has a mouth shield to safeguard the casualty and the 1st aider, from exchanging bodily fluids. That has been standard for many years. It might not be completely virus proof but presumably the thinking is that without the resuscitation the casualty would have little chance of survival whilst it could very easily be that neither of them has the virus to pass it on.

teapot

Visit site
If the biggest centres in the UK, ie those best placed to put every single practice into place for its clients and staff are closed currently, then the tiny centres should be following suit. Wonder what their insurance would say if they were to have an accident?

I appreciate businesses need to survive (trust me, it's close to my heart) but riding lessons are non essential activities. Bit different if you're a private individual who has an independent coach coming in to teach you.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
If the biggest centres in the UK, ie those best placed to put every single practice into place for its clients and staff are closed currently, then the tiny centres should be following suit.

I appreciate businesses need to survive (trust me, it's close to my heart) but riding lessons are non essential activities. Bit difference if you're a private individual who has an independent coach coming in to teach you.

There is no 'should close' about it. There is Government direction to close and that if necessary, will be enforced by the respective licensing authority. Just the same instruction given to licensed establishments under the Premise License held under the alcohol act. The closure instruction is to prevent people gathering together. The Government has put in schemes to support the affected businesses.

If the OP would say where the establishment is in the UK, the issue could be dealt with very quickly.

teapot

Visit site
There is no 'should close' about it. There is Government direction to close and that if necessary, will be enforced by the respective licensing authority. Just the same instruction given to licensed establishments under the Premise License held under the alcohol act. The closure instruction is to prevent people gathering together. The Government has put in schemes to support the affected businesses.

If the OP would say where the establishment is in the UK, the issue could be dealt with very quickly.

Don't have to explain the licensing to me, I was just being polite re this apparently open centre :) I can't put my actual feelings on the forum about the matter.

IngramsRoughDiamond

Visit site
We have an outside instructor still coming and teaching 2 liveries where I work, she has lost a few clients because they are doing the right thing and have cancelled her, but these idiots are still using her! I'm mega annoyed by this because my instructor has rightly so stopped going out teaching and I had so much planned for the summer. I would rather never ride again than use the idiot that is still coming

PSD

Visit site
I think common sense should come into play with it.

i wouldn’t allow people onto my yard if I ran the riding school let alone the health and safety issues of giving lessons and potentially straining the already stressed NHS of an accident occurred. Yes the instructors cannot work from home if freelance but the risk of potentially carrying the virus and passing it on is far more concerning than their lack of income to me. The same can be said for other jobs though, my partner isn’t a key worker and cannot work from home as he’s in the building trade but they have voluntarily closed sites because of the risk of the virus spreading.

it’s a real grey area that I think needs some more clearer guidelines placing, a lot of livery yards are locked down where some by me are still allowing liveries to carry on as normal but follow social distancing - yet allowing people to hack in groups. It really is a tough call

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Don't have to explain the licensing to me, I was just being polite re this apparently open centre :) I can't put my actual feelings on the forum about the matter.

I wasn't specifically explaining licensing to you. My comment was factual and educational for any who wanted to read it and there was no licensing legislation mentioned other than the act under which the premises falls. Apologies.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
I suppose the most obvious way to look at is from the perspective of the riders, rather than whether it is legitimate for the instructor to teach.

Whilst it might (arguably) be permitted to keep teaching, it wouldn't be permitted to be taught, which brings about the same result, i.e. no lessons.

So even if instructors think they can teach under the guidelines, they must accept that in doing so they are causing someone else to break the rules.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Teaching someone to ride is not essential?

Work does not have to be essential, it is only required to be socially distanced.

That is not a problem with one on one instruction of a non novice rider, lawnmowing, window washing, etc.

There is no ruling against one on one socially distanced teaching of any kind, it's a gathering of two, within the rules.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can riding instructors stay within the requirements of their insurance if they're socially distancing from their clients though? Surely they need to be able to check girths, reposition wayward legs, and if necessary pick people up from the floor. I would have thought it was a bit risky. We all know riding is a risk sport. It's not the same as a gardener trimming the hedges.

I'm safer riding with an instructor on my arena with me than with just my husband inside the house (or sometimes not at home at all).

He wants to teach me, I want to be taught, there is NOTHING in the guidelines to prevent that, but he is too scared to travel because he has the same misapprehension as other people that only key workers are allowed to work.

Anyone is allowed to work and travel to work if they can social distance and cannot work from home.

bonny

Visit site
I'm safer riding with an instructor on my arena with me than with just my husband inside the house (or sometimes not at home at all).

He wants to teach me, I want to be taught, there is NOTHING in the guidelines to prevent that, but he is too scared to travel because he has the same misapprehension as other people that only key workers are allowed to work.

Anyone is allowed to work and travel to work if they can social distance and cannot work from home.

Things are gradually changing as well and more and more people seem to be going back to work, I know several people who have been working from home who are going back next week and I suspect the numbers will keep going up.

PSD

Visit site
Things are gradually changing as well and more and more people seem to be going back to work, I know several people who have been working from home who are going back next week and I suspect the numbers will keep going up.

they shouldn’t be returning. Government policies haven’t changed so why return to work when if you are able to work from home you must do so? Crazy

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yes, I think it very much depends what people do, realistically I have enough planning/researching to do that would take me a couple of weeks pure wfh.
but I would then need to have access to the laboratory before anymore could be done.

Bob notacob

Visit site
they shouldn’t be returning. Government policies haven’t changed so why return to work when if you are able to work from home you must do so? Crazy
I havewatched this thing grow(and done a hell of a lot of preemptive work) hair cut ,doctor dentist , sacked dentist ,got a new dentist ,had teeth fixed . stocked up my freezer .I cant stopnworking , I know the government will give me squat. Ridiculously, i have never been busier. But my ford maverick is my isolation cell . I have a steri seven extra spray at hand and i quarantine any cash. Life must go on but we need to be careful, Bloody careful

PSD

Visit site
I havewatched this thing grow(and done a hell of a lot of preemptive work) hair cut ,doctor dentist , sacked dentist ,got a new dentist ,had teeth fixed . stocked up my freezer .I cant stopnworking , I know the government will give me squat. Ridiculously, i have never been busier. But my ford maverick is my isolation cell . I have a steri seven extra spray at hand and i quarantine any cash. Life must go on but we need to be careful, Bloody careful

I fully agree but I mean those who can work from home should. My partner is in the same boat, self employed and in the building trade. Whilst he can work, he isn’t because the sites have voluntarily closed however the government haven’t said they must close yet so if he had work he’d still be going. We aren’t getting help either as he’s only been SE for 8 months. We do need to be careful but we also need to be mindful that things such as bills and food still need to be paid for and cannot be if we can’t work and get no help! It’s such a hard time at the moment and I pray we come Out the other side

Bob notacob

Visit site
I fully agree but I mean those who can work from home should. My partner is in the same boat, self employed and in the building trade. Whilst he can work, he isn’t because the sites have voluntarily closed however the government haven’t said they must close yet so if he had work he’d still be going. We aren’t getting help either as he’s only been SE for 8 months. We do need to be careful but we also need to be mindful that things such as bills and food still need to be paid for and cannot be if we can’t work and get no help! It’s such a hard time at the moment and I pray we come Out the other side
Omg i so know where you are coming from . I had a similar problem some years ago . A xc crash and hospitalised. because i didnt have a rent book I couldnt cover my rent . Rented yard with mobile home , paid all taxes . got screwed.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
This is a difficult one OP and in your position I too would struggle on (a) whether this is acceptable and (b) if not, then what I'd do about it!!

There are a lot of equine businesses and freelance grooms who've had to shut down their operations in compliance and who're struggling right now as the restrictions hit hard; and for a "BHS" riding establishment to be operating - and to be seen to be operating - in the current climate, isn't really setting the best example??? That's my feeling anyway.

If this is a riding school then they should have been inspected and licensed by the Local Authority - personally I would be perfectly at peace with myself if I were to "snitch" on them. You could always ring your local authority and tell them what you are seeing. Also, if they are a BHS-affiliated establishment, there is that avenue as well.

As someone else has pointed out: there IS the issue of insurance as well as, and whether it would be valid even! I'm a fitness professional and my professional overseeing organisation has said that we must comply with official advice, and if we don't our insurance may be invalid.........

At the end of the day we're all having to pull in our belts at this unprecedented time: and to me at least, this takes the biscuit big-time and isn't fair to anyone who's struggling right now.

Very naughty - and not acceptable IMO.

Sheep

Visit site
I've recently seen an article that suggests that the 2m rule is not really relevant to sports (obviously in an RS environment we would expect horses to be kept apart etc). The article focuses on biking/running, but I guess similar principles may apply?

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/b...alk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

Also, a wee bit off topic but my understanding is that with CPR, the chest compressions are the most important thing (although rescue breaths should be given if you are trained and know how to do it properly).

scats

Visit site
The riding schools local to me have all shut down.
For people to go for lessons at a riding school, they are making a non-essential journey.
That’s why I opted to close my dog grooming business. I work from home and only ever have one dog in at a time, but for people to bring their dogs to me, they would have to make a non-essential trip and I wouldn’t want to encourage that. It’s a nightmare as I now have no income and haven’t been open long enough to get any government help.
Fortunately I have some money to get by at the moment, but it won’t last for ever.

I know a local riding school has set up a Go Fund me page to ask for help from clients during this time to keep the ponies fed etc. They have no turnout until May so can’t even just chuck them out to save some money.

Frumpoon

Visit site
In my imaginary job for the NHS, both frontline and management, I can absolutely guarantee you that staff are not following distancing guidelines from one another...obviously they can't from patients

Upthecreek

Visit site
Clearly travelling to a riding lesson cannot be classed as essential travel so it is irresponsible of the riding school to continue to offer lessons for this reason alone. They are all closed around here. Unfortunate that the people attending for lessons do not think the rules on only travelling for essential purposes apply to them.

For those that are continuing to ride it is within the rules for a freelance instructor to visit to teach because they are allowed to travel to work because it is not possible for them to work from home. They could only teach one person and obviously social distancing would have to be maintained. A good point about insurance cover though ??‍♀️

maggiestar

Visit site
In my imaginary job for the NHS, both frontline and management, I can absolutely guarantee you that staff are not following distancing guidelines from one another...obviously they can't from patients
And some of them are sadly dying. We should all do our bit in solidarity with the NHS. Stay home and save lives. It's a huge sacrifice but we have to get on with it and stop looking for loopholes.

maggiestar

Visit site
Clearly travelling to a riding lesson cannot be classed as essential travel so it is irresponsible of the riding school to continue to offer lessons for this reason alone. They are all closed around here. Unfortunate that the people attending for lessons do not think the rules on only travelling for essential purposes apply to them.

For those that are continuing to ride it is within the rules for a freelance instructor to visit to teach because they are allowed to travel to work because it is not possible for them to work from home. They could only teach one person and obviously social distancing would have to be maintained. A good point about insurance cover though ??‍♀️
Very clear and wise post Upthecreek.

Duckanasteroidiscoming

Visit site
Check out Pammy Hutton's opinion piece in this week's H&H. She is not happy at all with the approach of the BEF, BHS etc. Accepts that the riding school had to close to the public, as classed as social gathering like gyms and leisure centres, but does not agree with the blanket advice to not ride. Talland are doing video link lessons to people at home. Her insurers are perfectly happy. It's only the 'B's' as she collectively calls them who have totally let professional horse people down.