Riding school still teaching in lockdown- poor form??

Dusty 123

Visit site
Traveling to a lesson is not essential travel . riding instructor should not be doing ride lessons as it’s not essential work . That’s the government guidelines and bhs also said riding schools shouldn’t be open. The more people who listen and follow the guidelines the sooner things will go back to normal .

Reactions: SEL

Duckanasteroidiscoming

Visit site
Traveling to a lesson is not essential travel . riding instructor should not be doing ride lessons as it’s not essential work . That’s the government guidelines and bhs also said riding schools shouldn’t be open. The more people who listen and follow the guidelines the sooner things will go back to normal .

Travel for non essential work is allowed and in fact has been encouraged by the government

angrybird1

Visit site
If a vet won't allow clients in to a surgery to be with a pet when it's being pts it's certainly not right that riding schools are open..
Riding is not essential. There are no competitions to prepare for. Nothing to keep horses fit for. Stay at home.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Non essential work is not banned, where did you get that idea ?

Duckanasteroidiscoming

Visit site
Non essential businesses that are open to the public are closed which is much the same, all non essential travel is banned which would certainly include travel to a riding lesson, so rules are clearly being broken in this case.
Travelling to a riding lesson would count as non essential travel unless taken as the riders daily exercise. I think we've all agreed on that but I thought the debate had moved onto whether Freelance instructors could travel to give lessons on private yards and yards not in lockdown where horse owners can be taught as their daily exercise? The answer being, despite what the BHS or BEF are saying, this is allowed under the government's rules and freelancers are being unfairly treated by the Equine governing bodies and should be challenged over as people's livelihoods are being destroyed

Goldenstar

Visit site
Non essential businesses that are open to the public are closed which is much the same, all non essential travel is banned which would certainly include travel to a riding lesson, so rules are clearly being broken in this case.

Its not the same at all .
apart from those excluded from ban all face to face retail is stopped as are bars restaurants hotels gyms etc .
The riding school certainly should not be doing want it appears to be doing.
But non essential work is still going on .
I called a builder last week and had him here with a JCB ( although that was essential major septic tank failure ) the fencer is due here shortly .
my freelancers are coming here daily .
It’s simply untrue to say non essential work has been banned

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There are plenty of non-essential businesses who are not open to the public still working.
The implication was that work should be essential to be attended which is just not the case yet the same poster then says people should listen and follow the guidelines :rolleyes:.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Travelling to a riding lesson would count as non essential travel unless taken as the riders daily exercise. I think we've all agreed on that but I thought the debate had moved onto whether Freelance instructors could travel to give lessons on private yards and yards not in lockdown where horse owners can be taught as their daily exercise? The answer being, despite what the BHS or BEF are saying, this is allowed under the government's rules and freelancers are being unfairly treated by the Equine governing bodies and should be challenged over as people's livelihoods are being destroyed

Add the physios too. Mine does not even tie the horses to treat them. She wants to come, I want her here, social distancing is a piece of cake. Her insurance has been withdrawn for non emergency work. It's wrong.

maya2008

Visit site

Add the physios too. Mine does not even tie the horses to treat them. She wants to come, I want her here, social distancing is a piece of cake. Her insurance has been withdrawn for non emergency work. It's wrong.

Our dentist is the same - you put the horse in the stable, he goes in and does it. He doesn't like having owners in there anyway. And vaccinations - can tie up horse and stand at a distance. And I completely do not understand no online dressage.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

Might that change now the RCVS have relaxed the rules for vets and non urgent work like jabs.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’m not convinced about the RCVS allowing equine vaccinations to resume if the vet is expected to inject a horse with the owner standing 10m away. I foresee some vets getting badly injured if the owner is not there to distract the horse while it is jabbed.

criso

Visit site
I’m not convinced about the RCVS allowing equine vaccinations to resume if the vet is expected to inject a horse with the owner standing 10m away. I foresee some vets getting badly injured if the owner is not there to distract the horse while it is jabbed.

I guess it depends on the horse and the vet would have to make the appropriate risk assessment. Mine are fine, even the one who can be a bit suspicious of procedures. We only put the headcollar on as a formality and vet students use them for practice. I'm only there for the vet to catch up with gossip and go through any ongoing issues.

ycbm

Visit site

My experience us that most vets would prefer the owner not to be there as they are more likely to cause the horse to react than a matter of fact, this is what happens whether you like it or not, vet.

Likewise, my dentist would not let me hold my horses until he knew what kind of an owner I was.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The simple, lawful and correct way to deal with the licensed riding school that is still trading and providing horses for hire to the public for monetary gain, is to contact the licensing authority under which the premise is located. The Licensing Officer, together with the Police if necessary will close the premise.

Any other activities going on at the premises - owners having lessons on their own horses for instance is aside from the licence regulations and is a matter of choice and informed/misinformed decision making for those participating, travelling or providing the lessons.

Kat

Visit site
Check out Pammy Hutton's opinion piece in this week's H&H. She is not happy at all with the approach of the BEF, BHS etc. Accepts that the riding school had to close to the public, as classed as social gathering like gyms and leisure centres, but does not agree with the blanket advice to not ride. Talland are doing video link lessons to people at home. Her insurers are perfectly happy. It's only the 'B's' as she collectively calls them who have totally let professional horse people down.

I think she has a point.

My instructor was happy to continue teaching with appropriate social distancing. He can drive to our yard, and has no need to touch anything, I can pay by BACS too. Unfortunately since the BHS and BEF have said freelance instructors shouldn't continue he has had to stop working.

The BHS and BEF have placed freelance instructors in a very precarious position.

chaps89

Visit site
My dentist isn't working, his governing body have said his insurance would be invalid if he continued to do so too.

I get riding schools not being open and also not boxing out for a lesson. But what would the opinion be on freelance instructor coming to your yard to teach you on site?
Social distancing is feasible, it's a work related journey and payment could be made by BACS. Yay or nay?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Said dentist is on the BAEDT council, I don't know if he is doing everything, or just considered F's teeth problematic enough that he still needed to come.

Duckanasteroidiscoming

Visit site
My dentist isn't working, his governing body have said his insurance would be invalid if he continued to do so too.

I get riding schools not being open and also not boxing out for a lesson. But what would the opinion be on freelance instructor coming to your yard to teach you on site?
Social distancing is feasible, it's a work related journey and payment could be made by BACS. Yay or nay?
Yay from me. If freelancers want to work then they should be allowed within the government's guidelines, like all other freelancers.

chaps89

Visit site
Said dentist is on the BAEDT council, I don't know if he is doing everything, or just considered F's teeth problematic enough that he still needed to come.
Fair enough :) I have a feeling mine isn't baedt reg but one of the other ones, can't quite remember which off the top of my head.

criso

Visit site
Do you have a link to that guidance?
This was from the 23rd March

As such, our advice for the cessation of all organised equine activity remains in place in order to support Government recommendations to stay at home wherever possible.
Organised activity includes traveling your horse for lessons or schooling, having a coach to your yard, having a lesson at a riding centre and riding in large groups

https://www.bef.co.uk/News-Detail.aspx?news=coronavirus-update-business-advice

Duckanasteroidiscoming

Visit site
This was from the 23rd March

As such, our advice for the cessation of all organised equine activity remains in place in order to support Government recommendations to stay at home wherever possible.
Organised activity includes traveling your horse for lessons or schooling, having a coach to your yard, having a lesson at a riding centre and riding in large groups

https://www.bef.co.uk/News-Detail.aspx?news=coronavirus-update-business-advice
'Having a coach to your yard' isn't not supporting government recommendations. Some enterprising legally minded freelance coach should start legal action against the BEF for lost earnings.

criso

Visit site
'Having a coach to your yard' isn't not supporting government recommendations. Some enterprising legally minded freelance coach should start legal action against the BEF for lost earnings.

Not from the coach's point of view but arguably the person being taught would be making a journey to the yard just to have a lesson which would not be an essential journey.

British Dressage have stopped dressage anywhere and judges have been asked not to judge.

https://www.britishdressage.co.uk/news/a-message-from-dressage-anywhere/

Reactions: SEL

ycbm

Visit site
Its true - if you can do non-essential work from home its ok

It's ok wherever it's done as long as you can socially distance.

People currently not working, giving double whammy of both needing a bailout and not paying tax we desperately need, simply because of a misinterpretation of the guidelines:

Instructors
Dentists (horse)
Gardeners
Painter decorators
Small job builders
Plumbers
Cleaners
Most (?) work by vets

Nobody, of course, should be going out working if they fear for their own health.