Riding Schools in Perth, Scotland

klthomason

Visit site
Considering a move to Perth but I'm having trouble locating a riding school for my teenage girls. Looking for a place that can supply horses for now but maybe do livery later and provides show jumping lessons. Thanks for suggestions.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Gleneagles does not offer livery, but they give lessons. Looks like there are other yards around Perthshire but your Googling is as good as mine. Gleneagles is not a desperate drive from Perth. Unless the A9 is fecked.

Unfortunately, the system that you might know from North America, where you can compete on horses owned by your trainer, is not a thing here. Had an American flatmate last year, a vet student, who had ridden under that system in the States, and she thought she'd won the bloody lottery because OH (who owns the flat) told her I had horses. She thought i would know which trainers/owners were leasing horses, the way they do in the States, and she was surprised when I was like, "No, mate, that doesn't really happen here." She said, "There's no one at your yard with a string of horses?" No! And I had (and still have) a green-as-grass ex-feral and an unbacked youngster, so I was as useless as a bent nail.

Last edited:

Regandal

Visit site
Kilgraston is just a couple of miles outside Perth, it’s good. I’ve had a few lessons there when my horse was off sick and would recommend. Mind you, that was a few years ago.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
And "show jump lessons" (same as dressage) are unlikely to be much of a thing, some riding schools will go to a higher level than others, but broadly, doing a whole lot more than learning to jump is the territory of private trainers to private owners, and Pony Club (to private owners).

I went to an amazing riding school about 25 years ago that graded, and regularly regraded, all its customers and had horses that could then accommodate a range of grades. It had horses up to a PSG schoolmaster and 1.20m jumping. It was okay until it lost its property lease with short notice and then it all fell apart, though to be honest, there were some major interpersonal/political challenges with the people who ran it. Not an easy way to make a living even though it wasn't cheap (understandably!).

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Considering a move to Perth but I'm having trouble locating a riding school for my teenage girls. Looking for a place that can supply horses for now but maybe do livery later and provides show jumping lessons. Thanks for suggestions.
The one in Crieff seems ok. Its a long way from me so I'm not a regular but I've been a dozen or so times over the last few years. They do lessons and livery. The indoor school is great, outdoor- not so great- small, a bit waterlogged and very public. Very good off road hacking. The horses are all schooled regularly by staff & some are taken out eventing so they don't get stale. The main instructor is Sarah. She's very approachable so you could do worse than give her a call & have a chat about what your girls need.

edited to add link Crieff Hydro Riding Centre | Facebook

Last edited:

klthomason

Visit site
The one in Crieff seems ok. Its a long way from me so I'm not a regular but I've been a dozen or so times over the last few years. They do lessons and livery. The indoor school is great, outdoor- not so great- small, a bit waterlogged and very public. Very good off road hacking. The horses are all schooled regularly by staff & some are taken out eventing so they don't get stale. The main instructor is Sarah. She's very approachable so you could do worse than give her a call & have a chat about what your girls need.

edited to add link Crieff Hydro Riding Centre | Facebook
Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it. It seems many schools have closed with the pandemic so it's hard to know which are still operating.

klthomason

Visit site
Gleneagles does not offer livery, but they give lessons. Looks like there are other yards around Perthshire but your Googling is as good as mine. Gleneagles is not a desperate drive from Perth. Unless the A9 is fecked.

Unfortunately, the system that you might know from North America, where you can compete on horses owned by your trainer, is not a thing here. Had an American flatmate last year, a vet student, who had ridden under that system in the States, and she thought she'd won the bloody lottery because OH (who owns the flat) told her I had horses. She thought i would know which trainers/owners were leasing horses, the way they do in the States, and she was surprised when I was like, "No, mate, that doesn't really happen here." She said, "There's no one at your yard with a string of horses?" No! And I had (and still have) a green-as-grass ex-feral and an unbacked youngster, so I was as useless as a bent nail.

Oh wow that is different. My girls road in Canada for 5 years and the school had the horses and the girls road them and the whole group would go and compete. We might eventually get some horses here in Scotland but I don't know how to make the transition from riding school to working with an outside trainer without a horse. How is that usually done? I'm reluctant to buy a horse without a trainer's input too.

klthomason

Visit site
And "show jump lessons" (same as dressage) are unlikely to be much of a thing, some riding schools will go to a higher level than others, but broadly, doing a whole lot more than learning to jump is the territory of private trainers to private owners, and Pony Club (to private owners).

I went to an amazing riding school about 25 years ago that graded, and regularly regraded, all its customers and had horses that could then accommodate a range of grades. It had horses up to a PSG schoolmaster and 1.20m jumping. It was okay until it lost its property lease with short notice and then it all fell apart, though to be honest, there were some major interpersonal/political challenges with the people who ran it. Not an easy way to make a living even though it wasn't cheap (understandably!).

How do you find a private trainer and how do you work with one if you don't have the horse yet? I'm reluctant to buy a horse without trainer input but it seems I can't get a trainer until I have the horse! lol

Caol Ila

Visit site
Oh wow that is different. My girls road in Canada for 5 years and the school had the horses and the girls road them and the whole group would go and compete. We might eventually get some horses here in Scotland but I don't know how to make the transition from riding school to working with an outside trainer without a horse. How is that usually done? I'm reluctant to buy a horse without a trainer's input too.

People just man up and get on with it, really. If you find a good riding school, you might be able to make friends with the trainer and enlist their help with horse hunting. You might also be able to find owners sharing/leasing/loaning horses at barns with trainers, which would be more like private ownership and might (or not, depending on horse and owner) give you the chance to compete, but does not entail the full stupid commitment of owning a horse.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
How do you find a private trainer and how do you work with one if you don't have the horse yet? I'm reluctant to buy a horse without trainer input but it seems I can't get a trainer until I have the horse! lol

Many people go for a share first, it's a good way to get to know local trainers, clubs etc. It just works completely differently to the US, but it does work. Local groups on FB are the place to start, or contact the local riding clubs via the British Riding Clubs organisation, they might be able to help a little (they are just groups of riders/owners, with committees, mostly geared around competition and training, not actual venues).

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
if you move to Perth area go and talk to Strathearn Eventing…explain exactly what you have done here…they produce horses for sale, compete, train people and will have contacts with pony clubs and riding clubs which might ease you into understanding horse ownership in Scotland/UK generally.

doodle

Visit site
Strathearn eventing are great. Theg are on Facebook. They don’t provide horses but could help you to buy one. You could then keep the horse with them and get lessons. They have an extensive xc course and hold regular competitions. Kikgraston great for lessons too but only provide livery to kids who are at school (it is a boarding and day school with an equestrian school in the grounds).
Other than that go for a share type agreement first.