Riding schools looking for working puplis?

maggiestar

Visit site
I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting this - if so, please do remove, mods.

Basically, I've had a little dream nagging away at me for a few years now to become a riding instructor and have decided that it's time for me to seriously work towards that. I need to get my BHS stages and work towards AI level.
The thing which worries me is that yards may not want someone my age (38, gulp!) and also finances which prevent me from paying for a course. I'd need to receive a small wage and accomodation - even £50 plus a room in a caravan would be fine because I'm so determined to do this. So my question really is, does anyone know of any riding schools who take old age pensioner working pupils like myself and is looking for someone?

Thanks for reading!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
You don't need to be working at a yard to do your BHS stages so why not pay to do them alongside a conventional job, spend any spare time networking and then do your AI?

maggiestar

Visit site
The trouble is my finances are incredibly tight so I can't afford to pay for any courses. I don't own a horse either. If I worked on a yard I'd get so much experience. :) I've sent a few emails out but get the feeling people are put off by my age...

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
See if there are any places locally that do NVQs on an outreach basis. They should be free or if not very cheap depending on your current level of qualifications. L2 NVQ gives direct access to BHS Stage 3 and you can get on with networking to find somewhere to carry on. What experience do you have so far?

BlairandAzria

Visit site
I'm sure you could help out in exchange for riding lessons at the weekend, then you could still continue to work alongside.

Realistically living in a caravan for £50 a week is not fun.

Get the stage one and two books, they tell you everything you heed to know theory-wise, and you can pick up second hand copies on eBay very cheaply.

Good luck :)

undergroundoli

Visit site
well done you for following your dreams.

Maybe better non horse job and stages? I'm sure you've thought of a better job but thes no harm in having another look.

maggiestar

Visit site
See if there are any places locally that do NVQs on an outreach basis. They should be free or if not very cheap depending on your current level of qualifications. L2 NVQ gives direct access to BHS Stage 3 and you can get on with networking to find somewhere to carry on. What experience do you have so far?

That sounds interesting, thanks, I'll look into that idea. I used to work with horses a long time ago but left to go down a different career path (tour guiding) which is wearing a bit thin now! Riding wise I think I'm at Stage One level but if I could ride more often I'm sure I'd progress faster

maggiestar

Visit site
I'm sure you could help out in exchange for riding lessons at the weekend, then you could still continue to work alongside.

Realistically living in a caravan for £50 a week is not fun.

Get the stage one and two books, they tell you everything you heed to know theory-wise, and you can pick up second hand copies on eBay very cheaply.

Good luck :)

I've got the books, they are great. :) Maybe they're inspiring me a bit TOO much! Seriously though, the caravan thing wouldn't bother me at all because I'd working towards a goal and it wouldn't be forever.

maggiestar

Visit site
well done you for following your dreams.

Maybe better non horse job and stages? I'm sure you've thought of a better job but thes no harm in having another look.

Thank you :)

Learning about equitation in depth and then being able to teach it to others is all I can think about right now - I've put it off far too long! :)

pedilia

Visit site
I'm the same age as you, I did my NVQ's over the last two years.
On a part time basis, depending on your current level of education they could be free to do.
Mine included coaching, which qualifies you to teach, you can go and do your PTT if you want the more traditional qualifications alongside.

maggiestar

Visit site
Pedilia, that's good to know. I hadn't thought of the NVQ route.
Charlie76, I'm in London but willing to relocate.
Lambkins, I've already contacted Trent Park, just waiting for a reply :) Will check out Contessa

undergroundoli

Visit site
Your finances wouldn't be as stretched in say Wales. Dont rule out moving for a non horsey job somewhere cheap and paying to do the stages.

Inthemud

Visit site
Try Talland, they have certainly taken on older pupils in the past. I have no idea about costs/ wage, but they have a website.

Expect to be treated as if you're about 12, but you would learn an awesome amount!

maggiestar

Visit site
What are you wanting after getting qualified? What is your dream.

I want to be a riding instructor with special emphasis on working with people who have low confidence. I'm also really interested in the biomechanics of riding and how people's postural habits can affect things. It was amazing to one day work in a riding school and maybe take on freelance work as well :)

Edited to say it WOULD be amazing, not was! Getting my tenses mixed up

Last edited:

maggiestar

Visit site
Try Talland, they have certainly taken on older pupils in the past. I have no idea about costs/ wage, but they have a website.

Expect to be treated as if you're about 12, but you would learn an awesome amount!

Hee hee, yes I looked at Talland. It looks fantastic but SOOO expensive! They do have a scholarship scheme which might be worth looking at though...

indi4

Visit site
Try snowball farm, when I was there you got an ok wage and 4 lessons a week plus accodation, and the hours were pretty good, plus it was a 5 day week, one of the easiest horse jobs I had.

shampain

Visit site
I want to be a riding instructor with special emphasis on working with people who have low confidence. I'm also really interested in the biomechanics of riding and how people's postural habits can affect things. It was amazing to one day work in a riding school and maybe take on freelance work as well :)

Edited to say it WOULD be amazing, not was! Getting my tenses mixed up

If you're interested in biomechanics, have you looked into Mary Wanless' Ride With Your Mind? Her base is http://www.overdale-equestrian.co.uk/ in Oxfordshire, and I've spent 3 weeks there as a working pupil on two occasions. Both Karin (who runs the school/centre) and Mary are absolutely lovely people, and when courses are being run you're allowed to take part in some of the sessions/sit in and watch the lessons. No training towards qualifications as far as I'm aware, but each time I've been my riding's come on no end. They take people on from as little as 2 weeks, so it's possible just to pop over for a quick break.

ETS: Just noticed your last post (shows me for not reading all!), congratulations & hope it all goes well. :)