Riding skills

Cowpony

Visit site
I've just been jump judging at a mini xc competition and I don't know what was most depressing:
The (few) pot-huntng kids shooting round a 1ft class which challenged them not at all, on a pony that knows its job;
The (numerous) terrified children with tears pouring down their faces, being cajoled round by their parents (one of them sobbing "Mummy, no more! No more!" Poor little kid. Probably been put off riding for life);
The many who let their ponies stop at a jump and were immediately told by the parent "That's ok, just go round it". By the end of the course the pony was stopping at every jump because guess what? It had just been taught that if it stopped it didn't need to jump at all;
The one who yanked her pony hard in the mouth as a punishment for drifting off course - caused by her ineffective riding;
The tiny tots on lead reins who got clear rounds but were so unstable they fell on their pony's neck at every jump and on several occasions would have tumbled off if the parent hadn't grabbed them.I
The older child riding with her legs so far back that her stirrup eventually came off over a jump with the inevitable consequence, whilst her family oohed and ahhed at every stilted, uncomfortable cat-leap.
I'm all for giving children opportunities and encouraging them, but 90% of those competitors shouldn't have been jumping, let alone competing. And I wasn't the only steward to say so.

Thankfully my faith in the younger generation was restored in the pairs class, which was run over the same course and height. It was lovely to see more experienced riders encouraging their more novice pair around the course and looking after them. Some were mothers with a child, but some were teenagers and some kids of the same age. The novices could all ride and were all at the right level for the competition.

Sorry, no question, just a bit of a rant! ?

Cowpony

Visit site
For the purposes of discretion I'll just say home counties. Do you mean there's more than one example of this? That's even more depressing!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I know where you were and its often the same. I dont tend to go often at all as historically them running to time was out of the window by the end of class 1. Was that any different this time?

Kids on ponies though is a tough one. My 6 year old neice adores riding her pony (still a bit big for her) sometimes... My sister doesnt push her and tries to keep things fun...but she want to go out and 'jump'. Not allowed to as she wont practice enough, but I guess what you saw is probably the result of that!

J&S

Visit site
When I used to help at P.C. locally there were children who clearly did not want to ride, were terrified and unhappy. I have mentioned to parents that perhaps ballet might be more appropriate! Also some stand out absolutely serious little people who were a pleasure to be around.

Cowpony

Visit site
I know where you were and its often the same. I dont tend to go often at all as historically them running to time was out of the window by the end of class 1. Was that any different this time?

We were running early by the end of class 1, in spite of all the refusals, melt-downs, ponies being walked between jumps etc. Just as well because I was dying for the loo! ?

I steward there a lot, but yesterday was the worst by a long way for children who clearly didn't want to do it. ?

huskydamage

Visit site
For the purposes of discretion I'll just say home counties. Do you mean there's more than one example of this? That's even more depressing!

Not sure, I didnt really pay attention to what others were doing, too busy cacking it myself ? just wondered as it also had mini xc that day. Tbh I jump small and everything I have ever been to there is always at least one crying kid that doesn't want to do it, or the worst, horrible brat screaming at their poor trooper of a pony because it has refused or something.

suebou

Visit site
Jump judged something similar at weekend, but it was adults who were hopeless/terrified/pot hunting/overconfident by turn!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Depressing isnt it - especially if you look at the poor ponies faces - the very reason we wont go to local show jumping venues as sadly all the same.

Pippity

Visit site
The thought of the poor little soul sobbing for its Mummy to stop has really stuck with me. Horrible.

Back in my days of working all weekend at a riding school in return for a half-hour lesson, I was often on lead-rein duty for the beginners. It was depressing how many kids would be sobbing that they didn't want to trot and they didn't want to ride and Mummy made them and they wanted to play football.

lar

Visit site
I used to steward at a big just below county level show. I remember one kid - clearly only just off lead rein - sitting in the line up sobbing its eyes out whilst the parents stood within clear sight and earshot and cajoled it to get on with things. After about half an hour of this I couldn't stand it any longer. I'm sure this wasn't strictly correct in showing circles but I went to the judge and told him he HAD to tell the child to leave the ring. It was awful.