Riding Stables

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
Im still taking weekly riding lessons, i need to polish up on some things and im scared that I will fall into bad habits.

Anyway, i missed a lesson 2 weeks ago on friday, when i went for my lesson last friday my instructor said that i was still to pay for the week before as it was their rule.

Thing is i have a lesson on friday (private 30 min), i phoned on monday after i fell on sunday and injured myself badly, there would have been no way I could have rode. I called them up and left a message, and they called me back on thursday night saying they got my message and that was ok.

When i went for my lesson last friday, the instructor said that i owe £30 this week (£15 per 30 min lesson), when i asked how, she said that even though i didnt attend the last week that the slot was mine and ive to pay the £15 if im there or not.

Now if i knew that then i would have got my hubby to have a lesson, but on the phone there was nothing like that mentioned.

Does this seem fair? Ive never missed a lesson but this seems a bit harsh! I did let them know asap, its not like i waited until friday morning or didnt turn up at all

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you cancelled on the Monday for a Friday lesson then they have no right to charge you. You are normally required to give 24 hours notice. If they choose not to listen to their answer phone each day that's their problem.

airedale

Visit site
some stables have rules that state that you have to pay for a cancellation unless they can rebook the slot

now there is nothing to force them to try very hard to rebook the slot !!

I suspect that is the rule they are talking about.

Ask to see their rules - which should be clearly on display - esp. if it is a BHS/ABRS approved school

If they cannot provide you with a written copy of the rules then I wouldn't pay

If they do - make sure you read them and that there are no other 'catches' in them !!!!

JaneMBE

Visit site
They are wrong. If they have a notice stating 24 hour cancellation required then they should ahdere to it. They should listen to their messages!
Point it out to them, put your foot down, I'm sure they wouldn't want to lose a client
smile.gif

Rambo

Visit site
I think you would have a fairly strong case under Consumer Protection law (don't ask me to quote exact cases....otheres may be able to). Certainly anything more than 24hrs notice required to cancel is just unreasonable and tough sh1t on them
tongue.gif

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I am confused - are you the one who has the mare that is jealous? If so, why don't you have lessons on your own horse. The one who was taught to rear by her previous owner? Apologies if I am showing my age and have become confused.

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
The owners of the yard were away from the sunday until thursday and thats when they got my message, but as my friend said it isnt my fault they were away.

I had damaged my ankle so badly that i couldnt even get slippers on as my foot and ankle was so swollen.

Its my first ever lesson that I missed, my lesson is at 8pm on friday and im the last person of the night.

Thing is, its the instructor who told me I owe the money, not the yard owner, and my friends think she is saying that so she can pocket the money herself.

Im already paying for a lesson in advance, i wouldnt mind paying it if i only called that morning, was just being lazy or didnt turn up at all.

The instructor is a good friend of the owners, she travels 2 hours on a friday and saturday to come to the yard, she is a brill instructor and has brought me on loads, they are BHS approved.

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
FMM, yeah im the same one.

The stable is 5 miles away from my livery yard, the instructor wont come to my yard and i dont want to move my mare to their yard as she gets hyped up with the stallions that are their on livery, so i just ride my fav girl over there that i rode before getting my own girl.

Wow what a mouthful

Rambo

Visit site
Not your problem that they were away ! Presumably someone else was running the yard and therefore the booking system in their absence !?

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Simple - change instructors and get someone to come to your yard and give you lessons on your horse. Can't be a great instructor if she is trying to rip you off and can't be bothered to drive 5 miles!

kerrylou123

Visit site
i used to work at a riding school, and if you cancelled more than 24 hours before the lesson, you didn't have to pay, but if you cancelled less than 24 hours before the lesson, you still had to pay!

teapot

Visit site
Policy at yard is that if you cancel more than 24hrs in advance, you'll be able to rearrange the lesson (lessons at yard are paid monthly or yearly anyway)

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
Mine are paid a week in advance, im really enjoying it and find it hard to get an instructor who is willing to teach an adult!

I did have a girl that came and gave me and my girl a lesson and she was nasty. She would use a schooling whip on her when i was riding, after 15 minutes she was so worked up she was sweating like crazy.

Another instructor had me with so little confidence that i was nearly going to sell my mare as i felt i should be horse riding!

I still need more lessons, after a bad fall when jumping, i cant do it on my own.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you give them at least 24 hors notice of cancellation then you should pay nothing. If you cancelled under that time then you would have to pay. You cancelled in plenty of time, if they don't check their messages then it is not your fault. I would refuse to pay & if she maintains you owe her I would cancel my lessons with her & go elsewhere. There are plenty of good instructors out there who aren't money grabbing insensitive tightwads.
mad.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone recommend a breed? Im looking for my first horse, want something that has good thickish legs for weight carrying.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ooops StoppyMare - caught you out!!
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

Why??????????????????????????????????????
crazy.gif

tuscanyD

Visit site
If you think she's pulling a fast one then call the yard owner - explain what she's told you and say that it seems very unfair and you wanted to check that it was in fact the case.

If she's being dishonest then the poo will hit the fan. If not - well then you know don't you! Although it seems like a dodgy policy to me -

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
Looking for a horse for my hubby, its his first horse, wouldnt let him on mine as she can be a bit funny and pick up on nervousness!

I gave them 4 days notice, thats why im shocked!

Thing is there is no other places that teach adults and they know it!

teddysmum

New User
Visit site
ALL LIES, I KNOW YOU FROM ANOTHER BOARD BUT I HAVE DONE SOME SNOOPING AROUND ON THIS ONE

You don’t have a horse and everything you say are lies! You go round horse forums asking advice on buying your first horse, need it to be weight carrying, cob, ID and with a budget of £1500 and wonder why you can’t find anything. When you go to see horses nobody will sell to you WHY????????? Because you can’t ride. You are only mastering sitting trot and can’t even canter but you want everyone to believe you have a ID mare who rears but you can ride it so well.

You joined HHO on 20th Sept as PIEBALDHORSE and stopped posting on 5th Oct, only to join again on the 6th Oct under the name STROPPYMARE and again asking advice about buying a first horse, weight carrying etc. The problem with lying is you need to be good at it, not forget what you have previously said. Eg I am looking for my first horse, then a few days later say you have an ID mare for a year!!

Go and annoy another forum. HHO is full of knowledgeable people willing to give help and advice, they don’t want the likes of you clogging up a decent forum, making up lies and demanding attention. Good people are taking time to reply to your nonsense and you are loving the attention. Somebody here remembered you from Ebay forums where you lied also, you off course denied it, but the details were identical on every forum you clog up.

Either stop lying and admit you have no horse, take advice as offered or go away..

HHO decide for yourself, read all her messages as STROPPYMARE & PIEBALD HORSE LOVER. I can give links to other forums but don’t think that is necessary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone recommend a breed? I’m looking for my first horse, want something that has good thickish legs for weight carrying. – FIRST MESSAGE!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got a robinsons rug for £26 and its over £30 in that one, so not much cheaper! –WHY YOU DON’T OWN A HORSE!!!!!!!!
Hes a lovely 17hh boy and ive secretly spent loads of time with him, just fussing over him (while my own mare sulks). Hes only 6 years old and a very sweet guy, he calls out to me when I come in the stabled area, but with her his ears are back. – WHY DOES YOUR MARE SULK, YOU ARE LOOKING FOR YOUR FIRST HORSE!!!!!!!!
My irish draught mare is 11 years old, she belonged to a girl who taught her to rear up so she could show off with mates, she was only a beginner and totally ruined her.- REALLY? THOUGHT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR YOUR FIRST HORSE????
Ive had her nearly a year and i still cant have her reins too tight or she will rear. She is lazy but i use my legs and voice on her only.- ANOTHER LIE!!!!!!!
Our lady is JKP1, its my husbands and mine initials and then a 1 in front, so it was so much easier to remember – ANOTHER LIE!!!!!

THERE ARE LOADS OF MESSAGES AS PIEBALDHORSE WHERE YOU SAY YOU HAVE NO HORSE LIERS NOT WELCOME ON ANY BOARDS

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
She said when i started there that she told me that the slot is mine and that i must pay for it whether i took the lesson or not.

amymay, a year ago my best mate and I bought this mare between us, yes im looking for a horse that is my own, not one im sharing, it means that my hubby and me can hack out together.

susan_w

Visit site
I think that is absolutely outrageous. We have a rule that if someone doesn't turn up and haven't notified us that they are not coming we are meant to charge, but to my knowledge, we never have.

I'd ring them to discuss it with them, as you gave them plenty of notice and there was a good reason why you couldn't ride. Also suggest to them that they should have told you when they range you back that you'd still have to pay. If you'd known, then you could've just gone for a half hour chat with your instructor as you were paying for it anyway. Ridiculous.

Do you have other riding schools in the vicinity, that you could try, or are you really tied in to this one?

tuscanyD

Visit site
In your first post on this thread..

"When i went for my lesson last friday, the instructor said that i owe £30 this week (£15 per 30 min lesson), when i asked how, she said that even though i didnt attend the last week that the slot was mine and ive to pay the £15 if im there or not.

Now if i knew that then i would have got my hubby to have a lesson, but on the phone there was nothing like that mentioned."

yet post above says

"She said when i started there that she told me that the slot is mine and that i must pay for it whether i took the lesson or not."

hmmm

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And just to add - isn't £15 for half an hour mighty cheap - don't know what everyone else thinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the going rate at our yard in the riding school....whether you ride your own horse, or one of theirs
smile.gif