Riding The 3DE Rollercoaster - RC Open Champs Report

Gamebird

Visit site
I've got a new laptop (yay :D) and don't entirely trust it yet - it thinks more quickly than I do! - so I'll do this report a day at a time.

It's been a busy few weeks for us with Gt Witchingham, Hopetoun and the RC Champs in quick succession. Neither of the first two went entirely to plan - the former due to my stupidity and the latter due to the conditions - but at least we'd been out and about. I think I've spent more time this month dragging the horse up and down motorways than at work :eek:. So all in all we were ready for something to show for our efforts.

Friday - Dressage
The alarm went off at 2am and after a quick cup of tea, muck-out and load we were on the road for 3am. The dogs and Fugly went straight back to sleep, I'd have liked to but sadly my vehicle doesn't come equipped with cruise control :rolleyes:. It was a smooth journey and we pulled into A-l-W at 7am ready for an 8am briefing.

Obviously no-one had warned them in advance not to mess with Gamebird before 9am as the next hour tested my patience. I was parked by a steward, leaving room for my tent (after I'd explained that pitching the tent on the same side as my ramp was a non-starter if I wanted to unload the horse at any point :rolleyes:). Made my way over to declare, whereupon they said that I needed my horse. Went back and unloaded my horse at which point a second steward said that I was parked in the wrong place and had to move :mad:. I chucked him the horse, put my ramp back up and moved again, leaving a camping space which was actually smaller than my tent :mad:. Went to declare, was told that I couldn't get into my stable until at least 6pm (it was still before 8am) and that if I'd wanted to get in earlier in the day I should have paid for an extra night, then just not used it. At £35 a night!!!!!!!! :mad::( Back to my parking spot to put my tent up before someone parked on my camping space only to find a huge steaming dog turd in the middle of my pitch :mad: :mad: :mad:

At which point I opened the wine.... :eek:

Tent erected, wine consumed, horse plaited, hoof oiled and quarter-marked and the sun out and everything looked a teeny bit better :cool:.

We flew through the trot-up (almost literally :eek:) and thanks to our extensive fitness campaign I even managed to hold a conversation with the owner of the premises whilst running back ;). He tried to buy Fugly, I very nearly handed him over then and there!

A quick walk round the XC proved that whilst I'd seen bigger BE Novice XC tracks it was plenty big enough and really rather technical. Nearly half of the fences were combinations :eek:. Still, no need to worry for at least 24 hours :p.

Eventually (3pm) it was time to hop on and warm-up for the dressage.

Fugly warmed up in the main like an ironing-board. Stiff, unyielding and rather rusty (my ironing board doesn't get much use :eek:). Usually I'd sit it out and try not to upset him but today something - maybe the 3 glasses of rose? :eek: - made me angry and I decided not to accept a 50% effort. So, after a quick shoofty around for any lurking FEI stewards ;) Fugly was forced into the best impression I could of rollkur and I worked his lazy and insolent behind off for the next 15mins - medium, collected, medium, collected until... finally the penny dropped and he realised that it was easier to oblige than to duck out.

RCChampsDressage2.jpg

And so into the arena where the good work mostly continued:

RCChampsDressage1.jpg

RCChampsDressage4.jpg

RCChampsDressage3.jpg

Until the halt where it appeared that, although Fugly's front legs had arrived in Northamptonshire, we appeared to have left his hind legs in Yorkshire :rolleyes: :(

We scored 35, about mid-field and better than recent tests. Once the complicated Riding Club formula for averaging out the two arenas had been applied (only understood by those with a doctorate in pure mathematics and statistical analysis) we found ourselves on 33 :D

So with Fugly FINALLY installed in his stable there was just time to chuck a steak on the barbie and have a small glass of something with Santa-Claus before it was time to make amends for the 2am alarm and hit the tent.

To be continued....

angelish

Visit site
can't wait to read the rest ,wine before 8am :eek:

did you drop a fiver in the dressage :p in the 3rd pic you look like your thinking "oh there it is must remember to pick it up" must have been the wine :)
sorry for taking the mickey :eek: simply can't help it today feel free to get your own back next time i report on a walk and trot test :)

he looks lovely well done on the dressage score

Gamebird

Visit site
Saturday - XC

With a XC time not until 3.30pm the day was mine to fill. I'd got up and given the dogs a run and fed Fugly at around 6am then back into the tent and slept until 8.30 :eek: before lighting the stove for a leisurely cup of tea in the sun and a cooked brekkie :). Really, this eventing lark can be quite relaxing :cool:.

I rode Fugly out for a hop, skip and a buck (or a 'hack' as I believe owners of more sensible horses call it :p) and still it was only mid-morning. Walked the XC again, cooked some lunch, watched the first few in my class go and I was STILL hours too early for my time. So I made like a pro-eventer and retired to my tent for a pre-XC snooze. And whilst I was asleep the heavens opened...

The ground before the rain had been hard, shockingly hard, and at a normal BE event I'd have withdrawn. However with the expectations of my RC behind me (I think that the last time we qualified anyone for the eventing champs the previous Queen Elizabeth was still on the throne... :p) I felt duty bound to run. The rain helped matters hugely by turning what was basically sun-baked tarmac into tarmac with a layer of grease on top :( and the reports coming back from those who had already been round were that it was very slippy.

I tried a new studding tactic and went for very long and pointy. Tacked up and set off. I'd put grease on in case Mr Dozy-Lugs left a leg anywhere - I'd rather not risk a clunked leg when there's a trot-up the following day - and he duly left most of the grease on the warm-up fence :eek:. Not a good start, but after all the rain, and being the 2nd last horse due to run, the warm-up was like a skating rink. Deciding that discretion was the better part of valour, and knowing that I was sitting on the second-best XC horse in Yorkshire :p I gave the rest of the fences a miss!

Steamed out of the box over 1, took a stride out to 2 :eek: and through into the next field for 3, which was a big ask so early on:

085.jpg

Two strides in the middle - it walked on 12yds but was riding long.

Photo c/o of Action Replay who gave me permission to post on here and on Facebook!!!!!!
RCChamps.jpg

As we landed over this I knew we were in for a good round and we flew the next few, including the bounce steps up which were rather large and I hadn't been loooking forwards to as I can never see a stride to a step!

Fence 8 was tricky - a big brush in and a 90-degree left handed turn to another podium like the one in the previous pic. I'd decided on 4 strides - two, turn, two - but changed plan on the approach as Fugly was flying and I didn't want to risk a slip so we angled both and went through on a straight line on 3 strides :D.

The next question was a hanging log, 3 strong uphill strides to another hanging log on the edge on a steep downhill, then 3 or 4 to a triple brush arrowhead - they'd called this combo 'The Rollercoaster' and that's what it felt like to ride! Some vocal encouragement was used, but Fugly was up for it and off we went:

RCChampsXC3.jpg

RCChampsXC5.jpg

RCChampsXC8.jpg

Through the owl-hole, BIG jump into the first water, nearly tripped over the skinny coming out but Mr Dozy-Legs managed to be Mr Clever-Legs for once :). Flew the veg box:

RCChampsXC9.jpg

Up and down the steep ramp into the water, out over a corner, long gallop, over the last and HOME! :D

We were two seconds over the time. I hadn't kicked once (well maybe once, after the last fence ;)), and had set up carefully for one or two fences. There were only 5 out of 74 horses inside the time and we were the next quickest :cool:. Clever Fugly.

That XC round pulled us up to the dizzying heights of 13th (out of 74) overnight. Clever Fugly indeed!

Time for a bit of a party with one of the other RCs from our area - they promised not to spike my drink in an attempt to get rid of the competition :rolleyes: - and back to the tent for bed where I dreamed and dreamed of flying over huge XC fences on the second best XC horse in Yorkshire :)

SW3

Visit site
This is a great report... I'm looking fwd to the sj instalment in due course! Well done on your xc, course sounds like it was pretty techy...(unsurprising for a champs I suppose)!

wildcard

Visit site
Gripping report, making for great lunchtime reading with my most unsatisfying salad for lunch.. at least this is cheering me up.. love the pictures especially the 1st one great shot....

Gamebird

Visit site
Sunday - Show-jumping

I awoke to the sound of rain on canvas :( and hopped on for a quick leg-stretch before it could turn into anything worse. Good plan, as it turned out. I had the kettle boiled and the frying pan on when I caught the faint sound of a tannoy announcement containing the words 'Open competitors' and '30 minutes'. A quick phone-call to another competitor confirmed that they'd brought the trot-up forwards by half an hour which was not music to the ears of a Gamebird with a breakfast-sized hole waiting to be filled and an unplaited horse :mad: :mad:.

As I put in my super-quick plaits and tried to scrape off the remnants of yesterday's grease the rain came. Proper, torrential, Biblical rain :(. With no way to get into the hard ground it sat on top and turned the whole site into a big muddy puddle. It was the first time ever that I've had to clean a bridle AFTER the trot-up.

Trot-up duly passed, and due to my turn-out OCD I think I was the only one who'd bothered with quarter marks (I think they were washed off before I got half-way down the runway :rolleyes:) and back to pack away Camp Gamebird. One of the downsides of my meteoric rise after XC meant that I had to show-jump nearly last and not until nearly 4pm.

I knew that this was our worst phase, and whilst I haven't done a 3DE on Fugly before, it's rare that a horse improves its jumping on the 3rd day. We've been jumping 1.15s BSJA, but only on a surface and he's not a horse to trust himself in mud. There was also only about one fence between the top 15 or so so my expectations were low.

The warm-up was difficult. I've developed a warm-up strategy that gets him jumping the best I can but I wasn't able to put it into execution. There was no-one doing fences and I was on my own so jumped the upright at 2'6 a couple of times but didn't want to throw him straight at a max (possibly over-maximum ;)) height oxer next on dodgy ground and couldn't find anyone willing to put it down. So I popped the upright again, had it down, couldn't find anyone to put it back up, started to get off, knowing I wouldn't be able to get back on.... :mad: and had to go straight into the ring.

To cut a long story short he touched a couple, which were unlucky to fall - but that's the way the day was going. Got to the second last oxer and his back legs slipped right under him and he slid right through the fence :(. Waited for them to rebuild it, re-took it, over-rode it and had it down. Just the last, which we jumped fine. Not our day!!!!!! :(

The SJing had dropped us from 13th to 35th overall as the scores were so tight. I hadn't expected to rise from 13th, but to drop 22 places was a little galling too. I once had a drink with a pro-eventer on the Saturday night of a CCI3* which she was leading at that point. I remember saying to her how excited she must have been and she shook her head sadly and said 'I may be leading now, but my horse doesn't show-jump'. Right enough she had 4 down and slid down the placings. When I saw her to commiserate afterwards she said that she'd had the best XC ride of her life and regardless of the outcome no-one could take that away from her. That's how I feel. There's more to come, much more, but just not this weekend :).

We're going to Hull Show at the weekend to jump on grass as I think that's part of the problem and are looking for a CIC* to finish the season. I'm leaning towards Gatcombe as although it's a lot further than Aske, Aske is known for its tough show-jumping. Any opinions?

No food on offer as the trot-up pics have shown me that a major diet is in order :( (nope, not sharing them ;)). However there's oodles of Earl Grey and there may be a small glass of something sparkling later if the dressage team do well :) ;)

Thanks for reading and a HUGE thanks to Santa_Claus for being my personal paparazzo for the weekend.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Great report and huge well done. Fugly really has progressed brilliantly this year, shame the SJing didn't go better but xc is more fun anyway :D

angelish

Visit site
brilliant xc sounds like he stormed around :D
sorry the sj was disappointing sounds like terrible ground conditions :(

brilliant report really enjoyed reading it ,nice to read an eventing report eventually with everything being canceled this season
good luck for next time :)

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Now I wonder where the Earl grey came from ;) haha

Was lovely to finely meet you and the very non fugly fugly! :D

You had a cracking XC round and a blooming decent dressage just gloss slightly over the Sj as the conditions were horrid!

Oh and you weren't the only one with quarter marks at the final trot up :p well Fleur had them on leaving her stable I'm not convinced they survived the biblical rain to the trot up itself though. The thought was there though ;) haha

claire_p2001

asdexploitvangroenhove.weebly.com
Brilliant report well done. You must be so happy to have Fugly back to full fitness he is a lovely horse. Don't be too hard on yourself about the SJ it will come at least you have a long winter coming up for lots of parctice :)

NR99

Visit site
Really brilliant report, disheartening that the weather god was not on your side for the SJ, but wow sounds like a fab XC round. Wine before 8am, my kinda girl I always find breakfast Pimms makes plaiting so much more enjoyable! :D

Lovely photos!

bounce

Visit site
What a great report, a thoroughly enjoyable read. What a shame about the showjumping. The ground conditions and torrential downpours certainly couldn't have helped.

Lovely XC pics. What a gorgeous horse.

ColouredFan

Visit site
The Sj conditions were terrible, the weather was not kind to us! Fugly was a star XC and that makes it all worth while! Well done to you both, it was lovely to meet you and the very unfugly Fugly! x

Gamebird

Visit site
can't wait to read the rest ,wine before 8am :eek:

did you drop a fiver in the dressage :p in the 3rd pic you look like your thinking "oh there it is must remember to pick it up" must have been the wine :)
sorry for taking the mickey :eek: simply can't help it today feel free to get your own back next time i report on a walk and trot test :)

he looks lovely well done on the dressage score

I wouldn't have needed the wine had I not been provoked :mad:, but then again when you get up at 2am then 8am is positively lunchtime ;)

I'm a Scot married to a Yorkshireman. If I'd dropped a fiver I'd have got off, mid-test or otherwise, and grabbed it quick before someone else did! Seriously though those are my 'sitting-up' pics. I daren't show you the rest... :(

This is a great report... I'm looking fwd to the sj instalment in due course! Well done on your xc, course sounds like it was pretty techy...(unsurprising for a champs I suppose)!

Yes, our qualifier was pretty much over a BE100 course with a couple of extra fences. It's a blooming good thing that both the team and the individual that qualified (me) had plenty of BE Nov experience or they might have got a bit of a shock! :eek:

I was in the start box, doing the finish times, I thought it was you, fugly is very lovely in the flesh!!!

It's very kind of you, but not a thought that often goes through my mind! Thanks for helping out, I thought it ran very smoothly (or at least the competition side of it did, the rest was rather over-regulated. Having stayed away at two FEI events in the past three weeks I was thinking with longing of the laid-back official FEI vibe :p. I felt like a rebel when I rode out on Sunday morning without my number bib on (I did have a bridle number ;)).

Gripping report, making for great lunchtime reading with my most unsatisfying salad for lunch.. at least this is cheering me up.. love the pictures especially the 1st one great shot....

Oooh lunch *thinks enviously of an unsatisfying salad*. Pictures are great, aren't they, all credit to Santa_Claus :)

Gamebird

Visit site
Great report and huge well done. Fugly really has progressed brilliantly this year, shame the SJing didn't go better but xc is more fun anyway :D

Thanks, he has really. He'll be stronger next year and he needs that for the show-jumping I think. XC is the best! :D

brilliant xc sounds like he stormed around :D
sorry the sj was disappointing sounds like terrible ground conditions :(

brilliant report really enjoyed reading it ,nice to read an eventing report eventually with everything being canceled this season
good luck for next time :)

I can't blame the ground entirely as a lot of horses managed to show-jump perfectly well. However mine isn't all that confident when it gets deep and if you up the pace a bit to help him out he's more likely to have one down. Thanks for the good wishes, we need luck from every quarter!

Now I wonder where the Earl grey came from ;) haha

Was lovely to finely meet you and the very non fugly fugly! :D

You had a cracking XC round and a blooming decent dressage just gloss slightly over the Sj as the conditions were horrid!

Oh and you weren't the only one with quarter marks at the final trot up :p well Fleur had them on leaving her stable I'm not convinced they survived the biblical rain to the trot up itself though. The thought was there though ;) haha

I knew the quarter-marks would disappear but I physically couldn't take the horse out of the stable without applying them :eek:. Thanks for the tea, I intend to live on it. I'm going to patent the Earl Grey diet!

only_me

Visit site
He looks fantastic in the photos! Very well done and he is certainly not fugly! :D I feel the same way re: showjumping, although it makes sure there is something to work on! :)

jules89

Visit site
it's been a long time since I've read a report word for word and I am glad I did, you're awesome! Shame about the SJ but he really is turning out beauuuutiful!

As per the CIC* join us at Lingiers (sp!) in France; first week of October....THERE'S FREE BEER!

Gamebird

Visit site
Brilliant report well done. You must be so happy to have Fugly back to full fitness he is a lovely horse. Don't be too hard on yourself about the SJ it will come at least you have a long winter coming up for lots of parctice :)

Cheers. He is a lovely horse, but also an intensely irritating one! Sometimes he's rather hard to love! The good bits are usually worth the bad bits though. Maybe you should come and BS him for me :p

Really brilliant report, disheartening that the weather god was not on your side for the SJ, but wow sounds like a fab XC round. Wine before 8am, my kinda girl I always find breakfast Pimms makes plaiting so much more enjoyable! :D

Lovely photos!

I prefer breakfast tea, but I was driven to it! I'm rather pleased with the photos too. I ought to have a photographer to hand at all events :cool:

What a great report, a thoroughly enjoyable read. What a shame about the showjumping. The ground conditions and torrential downpours certainly couldn't have helped.

Lovely XC pics. What a gorgeous horse.

The downpours certainly didn't help - I did wonder whether I could have applied grease for the SJing as well, then I might get away with any little rubs :)

Well done :) Fab report :)

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
well done on your dr and xc round. sounds brill.

would love to qualify for the rc champs one day again (did novice last year) esp to have a go at the 3de layout - not sure we'd do well with sj on the last day but it would be interesting to try it!

don't fancy Blair?? not sure if they do a CIC1* tho'

Lolo

Visit site
Join the "SJ sucks" club :D Reggie and Fugly have been conspiring together about those pesky poles I feel!

Fugly looks so grown up, I remember your first reports on him and he's definitely doesn't deserve his name any more, he's a proper swan :) Two out of three were amazing, and you completed the third bit so it was a pretty epic trip :D