Riding through puddles

dwi

Visit site
Daisy is usually fine with puddles but today she freaked out at going through a very narrow gateway with a muddy puddle accross the width.

After bucking, spinning and backing up she eventually kind of reared and then leapt across it all in one go catapulting me up her neck and eventually off over her ears. I'm fine and actually quite pleased because it was the first time I've fallen off her so thats over and done with, that and apparently her jump was huge.

How would you recommend I cope with this gate next time? Its on a route we like to do quite alot. If she goes even slightly over to one side I'll lose my knee on the post, its very narrow I'd like to keep taking her this way but I'm not sure what to do about the water. We gave her a treat for going through, she didn't mean to throw me off but I can't do it that way every time until she makes it a positive association. I can't lead her through because my boots leak and the puddle is deep.

pixie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
. I can't lead her through because my boots leak and the puddle is deep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get someone else to lead her through (and get wet feet)
laugh.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Get off and stand in it (both of you!) we teach our horses to ford a deep river locally and yes, we have all had wet feet at times.
Stay there for ages until it's no longer scary. If you are worried she will escape, have someone walk there with you and attach a lunge line so if she leaps you won't lose her. (you have to hold it when you lead her, not the person who is there to ensure you are both ok)

SydneyB

Visit site
Can you get a lead from another horse who is good with puddles? If if's a mucky, muddy one, they normally hate them more than the clearish ones.