Riding through treacle - Our first dressage report

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So this week we finally had our dressage debut. I’ve had M for a little over 18 months now, but a combination of being slightly intimidated by his BD record and self-doubt on my part meant I’ve kinda been dragging my heels about actually entering a competition.

Since buying our little lorry though we’ve been heading out for arena training a couple of times a week and finally plucked up the courage to venture out. I picked a small venue, albeit one we’d never been to together for our first time and picked evening dressage as I knew it wasn’t likely to be too busy. After a minor wrong turn that saw us trundling up a steep single-track lane for what seemed like forever, we finally arrived at the venue with more than an hour to spare! M was surprisingly chilled, so we had a little graze and then I dragged him with me to collect our number by which time my wonderful OH and head groom/caller/provider of drinks had arrived.

A quick wardrobe change and I was in the saddle and heading off to the warm up, which was by far the smallest indoor school we've ever ridden in. Now M is a dinky warmblood at around 16hh on tippy toes, but what he lacks in height he makes up for with HUGE paces so warming up with two others was interesting to say the least. We did the best we could given the circumstances though, and headed out just in time to watch the end of the test before us.

I’d chosen Novice 24 as it’s so straightforward, but also has enough to think about that M doesn’t switch off. Now there were many things I’d factored in when it came to our first proper outing…I’d prepared for M to be spooky, for him to do his best giraffe impressions and to perhaps get a bit over-enthusiastic/take over after the first medium canter. What I hadn’t prepared for was that he’d be completely behind my leg, essentially the whole test was like riding with the handbrake on. I’m willing to accept that this may have been partially down to my nerves and perhaps I was unthinkingly gripping with my legs, or it could just have been M was a little overwhelmed what with being at a completely new place. He’s never, ever felt that backwards though so it was a bit of a surprise.

That said, there were still plenty of positives. We managed to remember the test, and our changes through walk and trot were much better than they had been at home where M usually tries to take over. Sadly our lack of impulsion meant our medium canter was positively non-existent and we lost marks in the free walk as well as a rather embarassing Thelwell moment when I felt M trying to break into trot early from the canter and he point-blankly ignored all aids. So I was a bit surprised to see we’d managed to score an extremely generous 72.4%, which saw us take 3rd place. So all in all it was a pretty productive trip out, albeit a little frustrating given I know how nicely M usually goes.

We've got a lesson tomorrow so hoping to try and iron out some of the kinks (although not sure how to replicate the lack of gas in the tank as he's never backwards at home) and then we're out again next week at a venue we regularly school at so hopefully he'll feel a bit more like his usual bouncy self again.

Sadly OH was calling for us so we’re unfortunately lacking in pics from the day, but here’s a very handsome looking post-party M…

2hmq8tj.jpg

chaps89

Visit site
Lovely to see you out and about after all the hard work you've been putting in :) That's a good score too. Are you able to ask his owner/your trainer about the shutting down bit to see if it's normal for him?
From your description of the setup I think you might have been at the yard where my share horse is kept- so if you do go back there and want an extra pair of hands feel free to drop me a PM.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Lovely to see you out and about after all the hard work you've been putting in :) That's a good score too. Are you able to ask his owner/your trainer about the shutting down bit to see if it's normal for him?
From your description of the setup I think you might have been at the yard where my share horse is kept- so if you do go back there and want an extra pair of hands feel free to drop me a PM.

Ah thanks so much. In honesty, whilst I like the venue I think the warm up was a little on the small side for us, but thanks so much for the offer :)

Owner was surprised at the shutting down as he had quite the rep for being quite skittish before he came my way and has chilled out massively since I've had him. So much so that she and my trainer were amazed he'd happily hand grazed at a comp...I had to pull out pics to prove it :D Trainer suggested it may have been the heat and has recommended a different electolyte that we can pop in his feed daily given we're out and about quite a lot now so hopefully that'll help him out a bit.

Mule

Visit site
So this week we finally had our dressage debut. I’ve had M for a little over 18 months now, but a combination of being slightly intimidated by his BD record and self-doubt on my part meant I’ve kinda been dragging my heels about actually entering a competition.

Since buying our little lorry though we’ve been heading out for arena training a couple of times a week and finally plucked up the courage to venture out. I picked a small venue, albeit one we’d never been to together for our first time and picked evening dressage as I knew it wasn’t likely to be too busy. After a minor wrong turn that saw us trundling up a steep single-track lane for what seemed like forever, we finally arrived at the venue with more than an hour to spare! M was surprisingly chilled, so we had a little graze and then I dragged him with me to collect our number by which time my wonderful OH and head groom/caller/provider of drinks had arrived.

A quick wardrobe change and I was in the saddle and heading off to the warm up, which was by far the smallest indoor school we've ever ridden in. Now M is a dinky warmblood at around 16hh on tippy toes, but what he lacks in height he makes up for with HUGE paces so warming up with two others was interesting to say the least. We did the best we could given the circumstances though, and headed out just in time to watch the end of the test before us.

I’d chosen Novice 24 as it’s so straightforward, but also has enough to think about that M doesn’t switch off. Now there were many things I’d factored in when it came to our first proper outing…I’d prepared for M to be spooky, for him to do his best giraffe impressions and to perhaps get a bit over-enthusiastic/take over after the first medium canter. What I hadn’t prepared for was that he’d be completely behind my leg, essentially the whole test was like riding with the handbrake on. I’m willing to accept that this may have been partially down to my nerves and perhaps I was unthinkingly gripping with my legs, or it could just have been M was a little overwhelmed what with being at a completely new place. He’s never, ever felt that backwards though so it was a bit of a surprise.

That said, there were still plenty of positives. We managed to remember the test, and our changes through walk and trot were much better than they had been at home where M usually tries to take over. Sadly our lack of impulsion meant our medium canter was positively non-existent and we lost marks in the free walk as well as a rather embarassing Thelwell moment when I felt M trying to break into trot early from the canter and he point-blankly ignored all aids. So I was a bit surprised to see we’d managed to score an extremely generous 72.4%, which saw us take 3rd place. So all in all it was a pretty productive trip out, albeit a little frustrating given I know how nicely M usually goes.

We've got a lesson tomorrow so hoping to try and iron out some of the kinks (although not sure how to replicate the lack of gas in the tank as he's never backwards at home) and then we're out again next week at a venue we regularly school at so hopefully he'll feel a bit more like his usual bouncy self again.

Sadly OH was calling for us so we’re unfortunately lacking in pics from the day, but here’s a very handsome looking post-party M…

2hmq8tj.jpg

The riding through treacle thing can happen me. When I compete in the dressage phase of eventing I can't carry a crop. Horse knows when I drop it he can be sluggish.
Also I think because I get a nervous in competition it's possible I tend to tense up and ride conservatively. Any chance you could be blocking him with your seat without realising it? Beautiful horse btw and once you can figure out the reason for the problem you will be on your way to correcting it.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
The riding through treacle thing can happen me. When I compete in the dressage phase of eventing I can't carry a crop. Horse knows when I drop it he can be sluggish.
Also I think because I get a nervous in competition it's possible I tend to tense up and ride conservatively. Any chance you could be blocking him with your seat without realising it? Beautiful horse btw and once you can figure out the reason for the problem you will be on your way to correcting it.

Absolutely possible that I accidentally ended up gripping without meaning to, so I'm going to try and be super mindful of how I'm riding when we go out next week. Fortunately I'll have my trainer in tow next time, so hopefully she'll be able to help shed light on where I'm going wrong if it does happen again.

Mule

Visit site
Absolutely possible that I accidentally ended up gripping without meaning to, so I'm going to try and be super mindful of how I'm riding when we go out next week. Fortunately I'll have my trainer in tow next time, so hopefully she'll be able to help shed light on where I'm going wrong if it does happen again.

Having eyes on the ground makes a massive difference. Also if you are backing off in the warm-up she'll get you riding forward.

Bernster

Visit site
Very smart score and lovely looking horse. Well done. Mine is always a bit backwards But consistently so, so cant really help you there! I do ride different in a test though and need to push for more. I tend to freeze a bit, mainly due to Inexperience on both our parts!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Ah thanks Bernster. I'm hoping it's not his default comp setting as it was bloody hard work when usually he's nice and floaty, but if it is at least my legs will be toned! :D

Sprig

Visit site
Maybe it was a confidence issue. Mine can go really backwards at a competition if it is busy in the warm up as he doesn't like lots of horses around. Maybe with three of you squeezed in the warm up he just felt overwhelmed. In that situation with mine he would actually be better with no warm up at all (or a trip round the car park/up the road or what ever you can find) rather than stressing him out. Does he do much working around other horses at home/arena hires? If not then increasing opportunities to do this might be a good idea.
Also I can fall in to the trap of not really getting after him enough in the warm up at a competition because I want him to look good. At home if he is being really backwards I am quite prepared to really get cross with him if he ignores me. This often results in a bit of a strop from him but then he will go forwards much better once we have established he can't get away with not listening to me.
It sounds like you did really well anyway. That score on a 'bad' day is nothing to complain about. It will be interesting to see how he gets on at a different venue.