Riding today

pixie

Visit site
I managed to ride in the morning, but only for a short while as the weather was closing in and the farmers were doing noisy work nearby, which was obviously very distracting.

I lengthened my stirrups by one hole (I tried 2, but I think that was a bit too long for the moment) and was quite comfortable, though did have trouble with canter (I think I draw my legs up), so I need to work on that.

Despite his bounciness I practised sitting trot both with and without stirrups, which went quite well. However without stirrups I only managed to do one circuit of the manege on each rein as my inner thighs were burning! I think I need to stretch them a lot more. I don't think I'm doing it quite right, as I'm still bouncing about, BUT not bouncing in a way that was uncomfortable and unbalancing (for once I didn't feel like I was going to be bounced out of the saddle!). So I guess its practise practise practise for me! (Should also say that I think that if I cantered without stirrups then did downward transition I might be caught out and bounced out of the saddle
blush.gif
)

Could anyone advise me one how to improve my sitting trot? Can someone explain to me in simple terms what I should be doing with my seat and back? Can I practise at home? Thanks
smile.gif

Oaksflight

Visit site
Sit up straight with shoulders back, will feel like you're leaning back but your not. Leg long and slightly behind the girth (think dressage), sit on your seat bones, and practice! And don't forget to breath.. I do! Sounds like you're making progress though.

pixie

Visit site
LOL, I am working on sitting up straight and keeping shoulders back, as I'm bad about leaning forward and hunching, so from your advice I should be killing to birds with one stone, so to speak
wink.gif

I must remember to breath though! Strange how you need to think about it sometimes, lol!
smile.gif

pixie

Visit site
lol, I actually used to ride my very old (and very bony) mare bareback, but never found it painful or uncomfortable in any way.

I haven't ridden bareback in about 7/8 years, so it should be interesting
wink.gif

Oaksflight

Visit site
I was doing 20 mins on no stirrups trotting the other week, woman who was giving me a lesson at the time was just shouting "Sophie.. BREATH!". I just forget to when I'm concentrating, especially when I was doing movements. Leaning forwards and hunching is worst thing you can do as you lose balance, which then cause you to tense up. I used to be awful for it. It does get easier though, I promise!